Does anyone else hate Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry...but I just hate Organic Chemistry. Am I the only one that feels this way? It's hard, it's boring, it's awful. And..I'm not doing well in it at all.

Me...ranting. Sorry. I have to let it out as I study for Orgo finals...:(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry...but I just hate Organic Chemistry. Am I the only one that feels this way? It's hard, it's boring, it's awful. And..I'm not doing well in it at all.

No, I actually liked organic chemistry. It wasn't nearly as hard as its reputation would lead people to think. In my opinion, the difficulty of chemistry classes increases as you move through the alphabet: G-chem < O-chem < P-chem. P-chem was pretty brutal.

Ochem is the best subject I have ever taken in university by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i feel you...funny thing is I like it better than Gen chem:rolleyes:

dude, i totally feel you... just get this **** done with and you'll never ever have to see it again (except for the MCAT)...it's not even that it's hard - it's annoying, time consuming and ******ed...

Um okay, I guess we're more of a minority than we thought.

*proudly raises her hand*

I hate organic chemistry with a passion and cannot wait until after organic chemistry II so I can forget everything.

No, I actually liked organic chemistry. It wasn't nearly as hard as its reputation would lead people to think. In my opinion, the difficulty of chemistry classes increases as you move through the alphabet: G-chem < O-chem < P-chem. P-chem was pretty brutal.

Amen -- P-chem is a beast.

But organic doesn't have to be that bad...of the five professors who teach it at my school, one is excellent, one is ok, one is mediocre, and good luck surviving either of the other two. How bad the class is really just depends on who you take for it.

Loved O-chem...I changed my major to Biochem after those courses. By the way there is no second O in the word Organic so why does everyone call it ORGO?!?!?!

I loved organic chemistry! Matter of fact I help tutor it now :laugh:

i hate the word "orgo" more than the subject organic chemisry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved O-chem...I changed my major to Biochem after those courses. By the way there is no second O in the word Organic so why does everyone call it ORGO?!?!?!

I don't know either; it kind of gets on my nerves, lol. There was a thread awhile back that showed it differs in location. Overall, one coast says "orgo" and the other say "o-chem."

I've always just called it organic.:rolleyes:

I really enjoyed o-chem, but NMR and mass spec can blow me. God, I hated having to learn those patterns and figuring out fragment masses.. I enjoyed the reactions much better.

A little part of me died inside when I saw this thread title...

Seriously, though, I love orgo. Out of all of the science classes I've taken, orgo was one of my favorites (along with some of the more medically-relevant bio classes such as physiology and anatomy). I think it's better than physics or gen chem, and way easier than p-chem.

Plus, think about when you're a doctor writing prescriptions for your patients- so much of the way the drugs work in the body can be understood from organic chemistry. I think it's really interesting learning about how small drug molecules can help cure diseases through reactions that occur in your body. My orgo professor wrote themed exams in which the exam was based off a current literature from a medically-relevant topic. For example, one exam was about HIV reverse-transcriptase inhibitors, another exam was about nicotine and carcinogens, another exam was about the molecular basis of aging, and another exam was about anti-cancer proteasome inhibitors. All of these exams showed how organic chemistry affects these medical issures, which I thought was really cool.

Sure, I thought orgo was hard and it can be boring going through the basics, but once you have that knowledge base, you will be able to learn about much more interesting topics relevant to medicine.

I dunno, I'm an east cost school and the whole school says Orgo. I hated it at first (I hate most college class abbreviations anyway), but now I'm in the habit of saying it.

I dunno, I'm an east cost school and the whole school says Orgo. I hated it at first (I hate most college class abbreviations anyway), but now I'm in the habit of saying it.

Amen...all the theatre majors at my school have to take analysis of performance, or Anal Perf as it is lovingly called.

The other day my dad asked me what I was working on. I told him it was a report for Anal Chem and he looked at me pretty funny hahaha:)

I really enjoyed o-chem, but NMR and mass spec can blow me. God, I hated having to learn those patterns and figuring out fragment masses.. I enjoyed the reactions much better.
Every single one of my classmates, including myself, hated o-chem. It was the most pointless class, by far, I took as an undergrad (even worse than comparative literature). The only thing I really remember about it is a vague recollection of something called a Clasien Condensation. I''m not quite sure what that is, and I don't think I ever did.

By the way, did you know that, "Did you like organic chemistry" is a commonly used weed-out question during med school interviews. If the applicant answers in the affirmative, their application goes in the trash.

orgo makes me think orgasm which would be orgasmic chemistry. that sounds like a class i wouldn't mind taking

^-- O.O

I will never call it orgo chem again. xD

By the way, did you know that, "Did you like organic chemistry" is a commonly used weed-out question during med school interviews. If the applicant answers in the affirmative, their application goes in the trash.

Huh, why is that?

Good thing I answered with genetics when an interviewer asked me :D His response was "did you just say that because I'm a geneticist?" (I honestly had no clue he was a geneticist) End result: accepted.

How can you hate Ochem. I realized today that I missed Ochem... but then again I have a final tomorrow and I would rather study anything except for my final...

Every single one of my classmates, including myself, hated o-chem. It was the most pointless class, by far, I took as an undergrad (even worse than comparative literature). The only thing I really remember about it is a vague recollection of something called a Clasien Condensation. I''m not quite sure what that is, and I don't think I ever did.

Clearly you have never taken zoology.

I love organic chemistry.

However, I do hate the word "orgo'.

Also, while we're on the subject, I hate the word "metabolics." Why do people call it metabolics when the course is metabolic biochemistry? NO extra s! CALL IT METABOLIC!

I love Zoology! It's the only class I've taken in two years that actually makes me feel like going to class every day.

oh dear god. Nothing about that class is interesting. Well, the thing I am doing now is interesting, but its b/c I got to pick my own topic for presentation.

Also, while we're on the subject, I hate the word "metabolics." Why do people call it metabolics when the course is metabolic biochemistry? NO extra s! CALL IT METABOLIC!
I feel the same way about the MCATs. :thumbdown:

It's O-Chem, stop calling it Orgo, goddam it! So freaking annoying when someone says Orgo.
Also, why the hell do some people call it MCATs? Where the hell does that "s" come from anyway?

some people love it, some people hate it. most people are indifferent and don't answer (except me). :rolleyes:

Most courses are hit-or-miss depending on the prof teaching. Orgo is no exception.

I loved ochem. Prof was great and super organized. On the other hand, Gen chem sucked and I fell asleep most days (not my fault, either).

Wow that's a load of Bulls***. They are not going to dump out an application just b/c of one question. I answered to my interviewer that O-chem was one of my favorite classes....accepted!

I had one interviewer asked me if I enjoyed Organic (I TA'd and SI'd for it), and he gave me a crazy look while he asked. Lol, I think I said something along the lines of I did enjoy it, but I TA'd and SI'd to help out other students, not because I really loved it (but I really do!).

Accepted.

dude, s/he was kidding...relax

Yeah well the thing is that It's kinda hard to tell emotion from a post when they simply just make a blanket statement without indication of emotions

:D

Last edited:
MCATs Orgo MCATs Orgo MCATs Orgo

sorry, I just had to do it.

Orgo II was ballin. Orgo I sucked, and I'm glad it's over. It's no where near the ugliness of anal chem though. Just be glad anal chem is not a pre-med requirement. They call it anal chem for a reason.

Yeah well the thing is that It's kinda hard to tell emotion from a post when they simply just make a blanket statement without indication of emotions

:D

Smileys help:thumbup:

What's Orgo?

(As for you two, Phospho and link2swim06, we call it O-Chem. Do not let me catch you acknowledging that the word Orgo means anything:thumbdown:)