-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You have bad pay as a phleb? Where I live you make at least 16 an hour.I graduated almost a year ago and I've been working as a phlebotomist since. It was fun and interesting for about 2 weeks, but now I have nothing but pure hatred for it. My ignorant coworkers, my crappy pay, my awful work schedule, everything about it. I've been thinking about switching to scribing, going back to research, or getting some non-medical job, if for no other reason than to do something that doesn't make me dread going to work, pay slave wages, or require waking up at 4 every damn morning. Sometimes it gets hard to see how it's going to pay off in the bigger picture of things, because every day I spend drawing blood feels like a day wasted. The one thing I do know is that I'm quitting the day after my 1-year work anniversary or the day I get a medical school acceptance, whichever comes first. Has anyone else gone through a drudge period like this?
8
814965
13 an hour where I am.You have bad pay as a phleb? Where I live you make at least 16 an hour.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate my job too. But at this point it doesn't make sense to quit before I need to. Four more months!
Haha unfortunately that requires dinero, of which I have none.Lol go and travel to South America for four months or something!
Then don't work for THAT company. Go find a job elsewhere.The only reason I don't is because my manager writes "DO NOT REHIRE" to the company for anyone who quits after less than a year. I'm quitting in May at the latest.
I wouldn't quit your job until you have another job (it's easier to find a job when you have one). Also, remember this feeling. Having a job that sucks and you hate helps to build character. Trust me when I say you'll be better off by having this experience.
I wouldn't quit your job until you have another job (it's easier to find a job when you have one). Also, remember this feeling. Having a job that sucks and you hate helps to build character. Trust me when I say you'll be better off by having this experience.
I enjoy scribing but I feel like I could be using my time better. I literally spend 80% of my day on SDN... Can't wait to quit in May!
EDIT: Then I get to spend 80% of my day on SDN but I don't have to pretend like I'm busy while doing it.
+1
basically as I scribe I get paid to read SDN and occasionally type a few words about patients
If you really hate it so much, maybe you should start looking for a new one now!
Not worth it since I'm just going to school in 6 months. Riding out the wave.If you really hate it so much, maybe you should start looking for a new one now!
Not worth it since I'm just going to school in 6 months. Riding out the wave.
Are you the original poster? The original poster hasn't been accepted to a medical school yet as far as I know.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait you havent gotten accepted? Then its not a gap year.
But anyways..dude get another job. What are u a prisoner?
But anyways..dude get another job. What are u a prisoner?
Wow I need to switch to scribing.
Not sure if srs.. typically the only reason a physician or emergency department would have a scribe is if it was so busy that scribes are actually necessary. Either that or they are working for a private practice. You can see 40+ patients in an 8 hour shift at some of the hospitals... Granted most of them are low acuity but the charting alone is a nightmare. Especially during flu season.
OH I thought you were replying to me, since you commented within a couple minutes of my post. My bad!Are you the original poster? The original poster hasn't been accepted to a medical school yet as far as I know.

lol $13 an hour is $2 more than I made!13 an hour where I am.
pay slave wages
13 an hour where I am.
I get that this isn't the highest paying job ever, but it's well above minimum wage. Don't you think you're being a little over-dramatic?
Meeeeeeeeeeeeee too.
This is what I tell myself every day.
I wouldn't quit your job until you have another job (it's easier to find a job when you have one). Also, remember this feeling. Having a job that sucks and you hate helps to build character. Trust me when I say you'll be better off by having this experience.
This is what I tell myself every day.
Meeeeeeeeeeeeee too.
This is what I tell myself every day..
That being said... if you hate it that much and don't have a light at the end of the tunnel (cruising until med school orientation), then apply to as many other gigs as you can.
Your job can't suck that bad. You're getting paid above minimum wage to get clinical experience. Your coworkers might suck, but every job has ****ty coworkers. At least you have the opportunity to look for a new job. If it's that terrible, look around. Just don't quit before you have another job secured.
At least you're not a medical student that's paying to do phlebotomy.
I am greatful for my 13 an hour job. It pays the bills and I get a little extra of spending money. It's hard out there so I am grateful for the work even though I hate it sometime13 an hour where I am.
You're in a low-level hourly job. What would you expect?
The first couple of years in almost any career is full of grunt work for which you will not receive much money. If skills are required, you won't have them yet, and will be miserable because of all of your mistakes and other peoples' reactions to them. If no skills are required, the first few weeks will be happier, but after that it will suck.
The good news is that as a well-educated, healthy and intelligent person, this is not the rest of your life. This job is not your destiny. So suck it up for now. Learn what you can about your job and others nearby. Learn what you can and cannot tolerate, what you do and do not like, how to get along with your less-intelligent co-workers (think you won't have some as a physician?) and grow up.
The first couple of years in almost any career is full of grunt work for which you will not receive much money. If skills are required, you won't have them yet, and will be miserable because of all of your mistakes and other peoples' reactions to them. If no skills are required, the first few weeks will be happier, but after that it will suck.
The good news is that as a well-educated, healthy and intelligent person, this is not the rest of your life. This job is not your destiny. So suck it up for now. Learn what you can about your job and others nearby. Learn what you can and cannot tolerate, what you do and do not like, how to get along with your less-intelligent co-workers (think you won't have some as a physician?) and grow up.
It's partially your job and partially the gap. I really really enjoyed the ER during my gap. However, after getting into medical school, I switch to a $15 hr private clinic and iiiiiit suuuuucks. It's like what you describe here. Management is frustrating, we do scutwork, it super boring, paperwork, etc. I'm not sure if I've lost all will to work here because I don't like it or because I've got "senioritis" because I got into school.
Honestly, I think it's the job. Find a more exciting job. Typically, the better experience jobs tend to be more exciting. Sacrifice the pay if you can, you won't regret it.
Honestly, I think it's the job. Find a more exciting job. Typically, the better experience jobs tend to be more exciting. Sacrifice the pay if you can, you won't regret it.
Some of you don't live in the real world I swear. Or you're trust fund babies. Brb have no money or brb have money coming from my parents. brb do nothing in my gap year vs work my butt off to have money. brb "travel the world." There's no point in quitting a job 2 months before you graduate. Just tough it out until you're close to starting.
FYIY, I wipe poop from peoples anal orifice e'erday. Talk about a ****ty job. I wish I would've quit and gotten a barista job like 6 months ago to do something different before I head back.
FYIY, I wipe poop from peoples anal orifice e'erday. Talk about a ****ty job. I wish I would've quit and gotten a barista job like 6 months ago to do something different before I head back.
Last edited:
Damn millennialsSome of you don't live in the real world I swear. Or you're trust fund babies. Brb have no money or brb have money coming from my parents. brb do nothing in my gap year vs work my butt off to have money. brb "travel the world"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn millennials
That word is absolute worst. May as well call us snowflakes 🙄Damn millennials
I mean, I don't hate it with the burning rage of a thousand suns.
Maybe like 3-4 suns though.
Autumn can't arrive soon enough for me either
Maybe like 3-4 suns though.
Autumn can't arrive soon enough for me either
That word is absolute worst. May as well call us snowflakes 🙄
It's very appropriate for some.
I graduated almost a year ago and I've been working as a phlebotomist since. It was fun and interesting for about 2 weeks, but now I have nothing but pure hatred for it. My ignorant coworkers, my crappy pay, my awful work schedule, everything about it. I've been thinking about switching to scribing, going back to research, or getting some non-medical job, if for no other reason than to do something that doesn't make me dread going to work, pay slave wages, or require waking up at 4 every damn morning. Sometimes it gets hard to see how it's going to pay off in the bigger picture of things, because every day I spend drawing blood feels like a day wasted. The one thing I do know is that I'm quitting the day after my 1-year work anniversary or the day I get a medical school acceptance, whichever comes first. Has anyone else gone through a drudge period like this?
Absolutely hate my job because of the lack of support in the research I'm doing
Yes. I'm filthy rich now.@tantacles Are the rumors true that SDN moderators make more positive cash flow than medical residents?
I work 70 hours a week as a scribe and lab assistant. I have one acceptance and waiting a couple other post interview. It will be the sweetest feeling ever when I can walk out of that door the last time and go do whatever the hell I want.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1
Sitting on an acceptance while working as a scribe. It's not just that scribing is repetitive, but it's boring, the pay sucks, we don't get lunch/dinner breaks, and rarely bathroom breaks. Worst of all is the commute time for me, which can be well over an hour some days.
lol I actually started driving uber recently. I'll admit that I had to swallow my pride at first before starting, but it's a change of pace kinda job and I meet interesting pple.
Bottom line, I've thought ALOT about quitting scribing and just doing nothing....but 1.) I need to money 2,) I'd be bored AF without the job 3.) since I'm starting med school in 5 moths there is zero point trying to apply for a "real" job.
Sooooo I guess I'm gonna have to just suck it up, work the two jobs, make extra cash, and try to enjoy myself and count my blessings. I'm super happy for the opportunity to become a physician, which is my destination, not being a scribe/uber driver forever. It's all about perspective at the end of the day!
Sitting on an acceptance while working as a scribe. It's not just that scribing is repetitive, but it's boring, the pay sucks, we don't get lunch/dinner breaks, and rarely bathroom breaks. Worst of all is the commute time for me, which can be well over an hour some days.
lol I actually started driving uber recently. I'll admit that I had to swallow my pride at first before starting, but it's a change of pace kinda job and I meet interesting pple.
Bottom line, I've thought ALOT about quitting scribing and just doing nothing....but 1.) I need to money 2,) I'd be bored AF without the job 3.) since I'm starting med school in 5 moths there is zero point trying to apply for a "real" job.
Sooooo I guess I'm gonna have to just suck it up, work the two jobs, make extra cash, and try to enjoy myself and count my blessings. I'm super happy for the opportunity to become a physician, which is my destination, not being a scribe/uber driver forever. It's all about perspective at the end of the day!
lol I actually started driving uber recently. I'll admit that I had to swallow my pride at first before starting, but it's a change of pace kinda job and I meet interesting pple.
😕
Hey, at least I'm being honest. Most pple think this kind of job is "below" them
Hey, at least I'm being honest. Most pple think this kind of job is "below" them
It's below you to get paid decent money to drive around for a few hours and give people rides but not disimpact an 80 year old man?
Um...its clearly not below me to drive around pple..because that's exactly what I'm now doing. The part about disimpacting an 8o yr old is completely irrelevant to my situation, as im also a scribe.It's below you to get paid decent money to drive around for a few hours and give people rides but not disimpact an 80 year old man?
But dude, get off your high horse and realize that pple DO feel like certain jobs are below them for whatever reason. Let's not pretend that everyone does not feel the same way about certain jobs. Why do you think so many low paying, unskilled jobs go unfilled in this country all the time? A lot of pple would rather be on unemployment than work a minimum wage job
Now..I'm not condoning that sentiment. But at least I'm acknowledging it exists for me. And what did I do after I acknowledge my own thought process/ bias? I took the job that I previously thought I was "too good for" in order to make some extra money.
Um...its clearly not below me to drive around pple..because that's exactly what I'm now doing. The part about disimpacting an 8o yr old is completely irrelevant to my situation, as im also a scribe.
You're trying to be a doctor, aren't you? You'll probably have to do some unpleasant things with old people's rectums.
But dude, get off your high horse and realize that pple DO feel like certain jobs are below them for whatever reason. Let's not pretend that everyone does not feel the same way about certain jobs. Why do you think so many low paying, unskilled jobs go I filled in this country all the time?
I'm not on a high horse. I realize everyone feels certain jobs are beneath them. I was referring specifically to uber. Seems like an easy way to make decent cash for not very much work. A lot of people I work with do it on the side and dig it.
Now..I'm not condoning that sentiment. But at least I'm acknowledging it exists for me. And what did I do after I acknowledge my own thought process/ bias? I took the job that I previously thought I was too good for in order to make some extra money.
Yeah, that's great. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I was just trying to see why you thought that particular job was beneath you when it seems pretty chill.
You're trying to be a doctor, aren't you? You'll probably have to do some unpleasant things with old people's rectums.
I'm not on a high horse. I realize everyone feels certain jobs are beneath them. I was referring specifically to uber. Seems like an easy way to make decent cash for not very much work. A lot of people I work with do it on the side and dig it.
Yeah, that's great. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I was just trying to see why you thought that particular job was beneath you when it seems pretty chill.
Honestly, I think it's all about perception. My initial thoughts about uber were along the lines of, "man I wouldn't want to be a taxi driver for a year" and "drive pple around the city for a living". But boy did my perception change after starting to drive. It really is a great way to make extra cash, and meet people and it's super easy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, I think it's all about perception. My initial thoughts about uber were along the lines of, "man I wouldn't want to be a taxi driver for a year" and "drive pple around the city for a living". But boy did my perception change after starting to drive. It really is a great way to make extra cash, and meet people and it's super easy.
Ah. Yeah I mean taxi drivers kind of have a negative image. I took a couple ubers before considering driving so it always seemed way more chill to me.
I graduated almost a year ago and I've been working as a phlebotomist since. It was fun and interesting for about 2 weeks, but now I have nothing but pure hatred for it. My ignorant coworkers, my crappy pay, my awful work schedule, everything about it. I've been thinking about switching to scribing, going back to research, or getting some non-medical job, if for no other reason than to do something that doesn't make me dread going to work, pay slave wages, or require waking up at 4 every damn morning. Sometimes it gets hard to see how it's going to pay off in the bigger picture of things, because every day I spend drawing blood feels like a day wasted. The one thing I do know is that I'm quitting the day after my 1-year work anniversary or the day I get a medical school acceptance, whichever comes first. Has anyone else gone through a drudge period like this?
I work in a similar position right now (specimen processing in a lab), and I like it. Granted my job pays a bit more (17 per hour) but just working in the hospital everyday talking with nurses and doctors really solidifies my devotion to a career in medicine.
You might like your job more once you get used to it. Morning rounds as a phleb is no joke and it's hard work but your getting lots of experience, seeing patients and meeting physicians most likely. Think of waking up everyday at 4 am practice for being some awesome surgeon in the future. When you reach year three of med school you'll have to wake up at the crack of dawn and work/read until you go to bed. Consider your current job a training period.
Scribing is not a bad job either though. You learn more about how a physician thinks but it's generally lower pay.
I graduated almost a year ago and I've been working as a phlebotomist since. It was fun and interesting for about 2 weeks, but now I have nothing but pure hatred for it. My ignorant coworkers, my crappy pay, my awful work schedule, everything about it. I've been thinking about switching to scribing, going back to research, or getting some non-medical job, if for no other reason than to do something that doesn't make me dread going to work, pay slave wages, or require waking up at 4 every damn morning. Sometimes it gets hard to see how it's going to pay off in the bigger picture of things, because every day I spend drawing blood feels like a day wasted. The one thing I do know is that I'm quitting the day after my 1-year work anniversary or the day I get a medical school acceptance, whichever comes first. Has anyone else gone through a drudge period like this?
What?! I work in a hospital and we love our phlebotomists. I always see them running up and down on different units. We take the time to thank them and even have potlucks with them. I feel like what you need is co-worker friends. After a long week, I hate getting up 5 in the morning to come to work but my co-workers are like family so once I'm at work I usually have an awesome day with them. We find time to celebrate everyone's birthday's, christmas parties, graduation parties, and sometimes just have an appreciation party, etc.
My point is try making some friends on each floor, talk to the nurses, doctors and your co-workers. It makes a huge difference in motivating yourself to get up every morning. About the wage I would say get a second job if possible, since you don't want to lose a job where you are gaining clinical experience (unless you find a similar job with higher pay)
Organize a surprise party for an upcoming co-worker's birthday (doesn't have to be big) or just organize a potluck to get along and make friends. I usually type up a list of things and have co-workers sign for what they will bring for a potluck - everyone loves food
Presumably you have a degree in something. Use it.
Quit and get a better job. Sooner rather than later.
Phlebotomist isn't adding much to your ap.
In that you could get a better job, it might even hurt depending on what your degree and experience is. It makes people wonder why you would spend a year doing something so mindless.
--
Il Destriero
Quit and get a better job. Sooner rather than later.
Phlebotomist isn't adding much to your ap.
In that you could get a better job, it might even hurt depending on what your degree and experience is. It makes people wonder why you would spend a year doing something so mindless.
--
Il Destriero
Last edited: