Question Does anyone ever see the “online” icon when they’re not logged in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sometimes when I’m not logged in I’ll see the “online” icon next to my avatar. Anyone else see that?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes when I’m not logged in I’ll see the “online” icon next to my avatar. Anyone else see that?
I haven't seen that, so I tested it just now. Here are the steps I took:

1. Verify that Privacy --> "Show your online status" is enabled.
2. Verify that the online indicator appears for a post.
3. Log out.
4. Refresh the page in Step 2.
5. Observe that the online indicator no longer appears.

Seems to be working as expected for me. Can you give more details on how to reproduce what you're observing?

Last edited:
I haven't seen that, so I tested it just now. Here are the steps I took:

1. Verify that Privacy --> "Show your online status" is enabled.
2. Verify that the online indicator appears for a post.
3. Log out.
4. Refresh the page in Step 2.
5. Observe that the online indicator no longer appears.

Seems to be working as expected for me. Can you give more details on how to reproduce what you're observing?

I don’t know. I was just surfing while logged out and saw the icon on my avatar.

I don’t know. I was just surfing while logged out and saw the icon on my avatar.
I bet if you had refreshed/reloaded the page, the icon would disappear. If the page was originally loaded while you were still logged in, I don't think it necessarily updates in real-time to show that you're now logged out.

Because I want to make sure someone isn’t logged in when I’m logged out
Probably ensure your SDN password is a strong password/passphrase that is unique to SDN (not used anywhere else) and enable the "Two-step verification."