Does Completing a Minor/Studying Abroad Look Good for Pharm School Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hxtran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am an upcoming 3rd year at UCI and I was a Biological Sciences major who is switching into Pharmaceutical Sciences. My GPA is just average so I am doing everything I can to make myself more competitive for when it comes time to apply to schools. My GPA is currently 3.1, I'm taking summer school to get ahead and I am on track for all my pre-reqs and whatnot. I was wondering if it would look good to pick up a minor? I was thinking maybe minoring in International Studies or something like that because it is something that interests me. Would it be better to pick a pre-health related minor? I feel like that might be too much work and would possibly jeopardize my GPA. I will be finishing my BS in four years but I may or may not have to stay an extra year to finish my minor since I am picking it up so late.

Part of the reason why I want to have a minor is because I want the chance to study abroad. Since UCI students must complete their BS in 4 years, I don't really have the time to study abroad, and there aren't many classes for my major that are available either. Does studying abroad effect admissions? As cheesy as it may sound I believe that studying abroad may help me develop character, become more open minded, and just overall grow as a person. These qualities will become useful in my career because they will help me in my "people skills." However, if it does not make a difference in my application I would rather save my time and money and just go straight to grad school.

My extra curricular/experience so far:
-3 months of volunteering at a Pharmacy so far (planning to do so for the next two years)
-Public Relations Chair of Pre-Health Alliance (club)
-Starting research in the Fall
-Pharmaceutical Sciences Mentor
-National Society of Leadership and Success (not really impressive as the name ... but it's a club I'm in)
-Associated Students Intern (1 year)

What else would be recommended to add on to my list? I was thinking about starting a community service club? Becoming a tutor? Which is the most impressive? Also, I plan on preparing for my PCAT all of this year and throughout next summer, I want to be well-prepared. Would taking the PCAT during the fall of my 4th year be too late?

Sorry for all the questions .... this is my first post and I kinda just wanted to get all my questions out there... lol. Thanks for your time!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

I am an upcoming 3rd year at UCI and I was a Biological Sciences major who is switching into Pharmaceutical Sciences. My GPA is just average so I am doing everything I can to make myself more competitive for when it comes time to apply to schools. My GPA is currently 3.1, I'm taking summer school to get ahead and I am on track for all my pre-reqs and whatnot. I was wondering if it would look good to pick up a minor? I was thinking maybe minoring in International Studies or something like that because it is something that interests me. Would it be better to pick a pre-health related minor? I feel like that might be too much work and would possibly jeopardize my GPA. I will be finishing my BS in four years but I may or may not have to stay an extra year to finish my minor since I am picking it up so late.

Part of the reason why I want to have a minor is because I want the chance to study abroad. Since UCI students must complete their BS in 4 years, I don't really have the time to study abroad, and there aren't many classes for my major that are available either. Does studying abroad effect admissions? As cheesy as it may sound I believe that studying abroad may help me develop character, become more open minded, and just overall grow as a person. These qualities will become useful in my career because they will help me in my "people skills." However, if it does not make a difference in my application I would rather save my time and money and just go straight to grad school.

My extra curricular/experience so far:
-3 months of volunteering at a Pharmacy so far (planning to do so for the next two years)
-Public Relations Chair of Pre-Health Alliance (club)
-Starting research in the Fall
-Pharmaceutical Sciences Mentor
-National Society of Leadership and Success (not really impressive as the name ... but it's a club I'm in)
-Associated Students Intern (1 year)

What else would be recommended to add on to my list? I was thinking about starting a community service club? Becoming a tutor? Which is the most impressive? Also, I plan on preparing for my PCAT all of this year and throughout next summer, I want to be well-prepared. Would taking the PCAT during the fall of my 4th year be too late?

Sorry for all the questions .... this is my first post and I kinda just wanted to get all my questions out there... lol. Thanks for your time!!!! :)

Yea I see your taking pcat so that's good. Out of state is better than in state unless you're planning to go to UCSF or UCSD. You want to take pcat as early as you finish the necessary courses. I took it month after I completed my second year. Use Dr collins

Seems like you are on a good track volunteering at pharmacy and leadership positions.

As for minor don't waste your time pursuing it unless you seriously are interested in. Spend that time studying or work or clubs. Don't do a minor in efforts of pleasing the admission team.