Does every summer have to be productive or else it's a huge blemish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadclam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on taking a couple gap years and am productive with extra curricular, volunteer work, internship, etc. during the academic year and most summers, but this summer I haven't done anything medically related except for some shadowing and will start volunteering for the last couple weeks of the summer when I get back to school. Is this summer a huge blemish?

Also, is it normal to spend a summer prepping for the MCAT full time? In other words, doing nothing for a summer but studying for/and taking the MCAT? Or do students normally hold a part-time job, volunteer, etc. at the same time?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude chill. No one cares if you take a summer to kick it back and get a tan and some abs, just don't do that every summer every day. Also, studying full-time for the MCAT isn't "doing nothing."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lots of people spend the summer preparing for the MCAT; some work, take classes, do research, and some just take advantage of the break they're getting from school

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on taking a couple gap years and am productive with extra curricular, volunteer work, internship, etc. during the academic year and most summers, but this summer I haven't done anything medically related except for some shadowing and will start volunteering for the last couple weeks of the summer when I get back to school. Is this summer a huge blemish?

Also, is it normal to spend a summer prepping for the MCAT full time? In other words, doing nothing for a summer but studying for/and taking the MCAT? Or do students normally hold a part-time job, volunteer, etc. at the same time?

Thanks!
No. Just no. Chill out, it's going to be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha thanks guys - I have been chillin but just wanted to make sure :horns: