Does it matter how many schools you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnima

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter how many schools you have applied to?
I have applied to 17 schools and was thinking about maybe adding more. Someone told me that it would look bad to apply to too many schools because it would be hard to explain why you have applied to a particular school.
Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

drnima said:
Does it matter how many schools you have applied to?
I have applied to 17 schools and was thinking about maybe adding more. Someone told me that it would look bad to apply to too many schools because it would be hard to explain why you have applied to a particular school.
Thanks guys.

I don't see why not. It's better to maximize your chance of getting in. Schools may or not ask whether you applied to so and so schools. If they do, just know things about each school well that attracted you to apply.

It doesn't matter at all, I applied to a lot of schools and have been accepted to every osteopathic school that I have interviewed at. THey have asked me though but I just said "first thing is first, I want to be a doctor then after I have been accepted I will be choosier"

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought schools might want to feel special. When you apply to every school, it is hard to argue during the interview that you want to go to their particular school. So I shouldn't worry about that then right? Do schools know how many schools you have applied to? Don't they see that information on your primaries?
Thanks for all the help.

Schools know exactly why people apply to many schools, they are not naive. I applied to 31 schools and in my first interview they said to me that they know that in order to have a competitve chance people apply to many schools, like you did, so why will you come here? Just be prepared with some reason you would go there; location, proximity to family, some unique program the school has.
Good luck!

it costs money, and you need to be realistic. a friend of mine applied to schools that were kinda dream schools until i later pointed out to him that they had near 100% acceptance rates (he was applying allopathic, alot more state schools there). if its not a place you would really like to attend, then don't apply. it costs money for the application and money and time (alot of both) for interviewing.