Does it matter if I complete my minor in psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so for most of undergrad I wanted to go to OT grad school and was taking a lot of special education classes. I changed my mind a few months ago and have decided to pursue clinical psych; however, it's going to be sort of difficult for me to finish the minor. I took a stats class for my major but it doesn't count toward the psych minor. I really don't want to retake stats. It's not my forte and I'd like to keep my gpa as high as possible for grad school.

Do you think admissions committee care about minors? My major is behavior and health.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if they would really care about minors, but the majority of clinical psych programs do look at research. Also, if you have a strong aversion to stats, you may want to really examine if you want to go for a PhD/PsyD, as the vast majority of quality programs do require research and stats. If you want to practice without research, an MSW program may be something to look into.

The minor is less of a concern when I look at applicants. If you aren't competitive in the major markers (research, GRE), then the minor is unlikely to swap me. Likewise, if you are competitive in those domains, the minor is not a big add.