Does it matter where you take the prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I graduated from a pretty good public university (UCSD) in a non science major. Would it be alright for me to take dental school prereqs at a CSU (in my case, CSUDH)? If I get good grades there and get a good DAT score, would the lower academic ranking of the school still hurt my chances of getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a pretty good public university (UCSD) in a non science major. Would it be alright for me to take dental school prereqs at a CSU (in my case, CSUDH)? If I get good grades there and get a good DAT score, would the lower academic ranking of the school still hurt my chances of getting into dental school?

it doesnt matter where you take your prereqs, just try to take them at a 4 yr school/university instead of a CC. Get good grades and do well on the DAT and you'll have a shot at d-school.

it doesnt matter where you take your prereqs, just try to take them at a 4 yr school/university instead of a CC. Get good grades and do well on the DAT and you'll have a shot at d-school.

This is correct to the best of my knowledge as well. Ranking of the 4 year university has little to no impact, simply the fact that you're taking your pre-reqs at a 4 year university is enough. Since you aren't considering a CC, I won't comment there.

No matter where you take your pre-reqs, do well on them, and do comparatively well on the DAT.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is correct to the best of my knowledge as well. Ranking of the 4 year university has little to no impact, simply the fact that you're taking your pre-reqs at a 4 year university is enough. Since you aren't considering a CC, I won't comment there.

No matter where you take your pre-reqs, do well on them, and do comparatively well on the DAT.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply!

I actually am seriously considering taking all of my prereqs at a CC. It's really complicated. My aunt said that she would loan me the money if I ever wanted to take them at a 4 year university, but I really don't want her to have this power over me. I just don't know. Right now, I'm thinking of either: taking all of the prereqs through UCLA extension (informal postbac), doing a formal postbac at CSU Fullerton, doing an informal postbac at CSUDH, or just taking them at a CC.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually am seriously considering taking all of my prereqs at a CC. It's really complicated. My aunt said that she would loan me the money if I ever wanted to take them at a 4 year university, but I really don't want her to have this power over me. I just don't know. Right now, I'm thinking of either: taking all of the prereqs through UCLA extension (informal postbac), doing a formal postbac at CSU Fullerton, doing an informal postbac at CSUDH, or just taking them at a CC.

Lots of dental schools have limitations on the units you can transfer or flat out don't even accept CC credits. A few of the notorious ones are Tufts, Boston University, Stony Brook, there's a lot. Just saying.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be graduating from a UC as well. I am considering taking some more of my pre-reqs at a CSU as well. Do you know how much it'll cost you? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll be graduating from a UC as well. I am considering taking my pre-reqs at a CSU as well. Do you know how much it'll cost you? Thanks.
What UC are you going to, and what major are you?

CSUDH charges $275 per unit, and $135 per semester. It's crazy high, so I doubt I'll be able to take that route. :'( If money is no option for you, I think that you should take your prereqs at at least a CSU.

Btw: your little blurb on the bottom is HILARIOUS! :)