Does marking a class as "repeat" because you took the AP test in high school hurt your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trojan_juice

Reaction score
Im currently choosing classes for the quarter and want to take the lower division biology sequence, but I have already taken the AP Biology test in high school so I would need to mark these classes as "repeat" on AMCAS. Will this carry negative connotations to adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently choosing classes for the quarter and want to take the lower division biology sequence, but I have already taken the AP Biology test in high school so I would need to mark these classes as "repeat" on AMCAS. Will this carry negative connotations to adcoms?
Why do you want to do this? Why not take a higher level class?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure you would need to mark it as a repeat but also I think you could renounce the credit and it just wont show up on your transcript at most schools. Either way I dont think it really matters.

For clarification, page 33 of AMCAS guide: "If you take a college-level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, AMCAS considers the course a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

Repeat won't hurt you in your case.

For clarification, page 33 of AMCAS guide: "If you take a college-level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, AMCAS considers the course a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

Repeat won't hurt you in your case.
It says AP credit granted same institution. Won't schools drop AP credit from transcript if you take equivalent course?

depends on school policy; some schools wont let you register for a course you have passed/been given credit, few that I know of would drop it
My son's school drops the AP/IB credits if you take equivalent class. I think that should be the case unless it's an actual college course (not AP/IB class).

however, if the college has awarded you credit, then you take the class, and the college then drops the AP award from the transcript, that would constitute a repeat per AMCAS.
How do you determine this? On first day of school it showed all the eligible credits based on AP and IB scores. As classes taken, those credits disappeared.

For most of my prereqs, I already had the AP credit, but my school advised me to retake them for a grade at university. I took the college courses instead, and because I already had more AP credits than they would allow, they changed the ones they were giving me credit for to the non-prereq ones. When I entered my transcripts, I inputted the college pre-req as repeat, but they returned it without the "repeat" label and marked the AP versions as "exempt"

tl;dr they didn't show up as repeat on mine bc I worked with my college to not give me the AP credit