Does my clinical experience have to come through volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moe_eves

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have over 200 hours of non-clinical volunteer work in a soup kitchen and an additional 100 hours of volunteer coaching a youth sports team. Additionally, I have worked as a nurse's aide for over 1,000 hours over the past couple of years. I have a lot of direct patient care experience, but will it hurt me that I was paid for all of it? Should I make an effort to do volunteer healthcare work on top of what I already have?
Thanks!
 
Shadowing is also clinical experience

Yes, but there's a difference between active and passive clinical experience. You need both. In active clinical experience, you are a part of the process and your primary objective is to help the team or the patient. In passive clinical experience, you are not a part of the process and your primary objective is to observe and reflect.