Does not having a Bachelor's Degree make one a weak candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdmi08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I Just wanted some more information. I have a 3.5 GPA currently and have a few more courses to complete. I volunteer at the Pharmacy at my hospital and am a Pharmacy Tech. Haven't taken the PCAT yet. However, I am worried that my not having a degree before applying will hinder me from getting in. I am not applying for another whole year, but I just wanted some input on the issue! Thanks in advance for info! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I Just wanted some more information. I have a 3.5 GPA currently and have a few more courses to complete. I volunteer at the Pharmacy at my hospital and am a Pharmacy Tech. Haven't taken the PCAT yet. However, I am worried that my not having a degree before applying will hinder me from getting in. I am not applying for another whole year, but I just wanted some input on the issue! Thanks in advance for info! :D

All things being equal does not having a degree make your application "weaker"? Yes, it does. How much, depends on the school.

All things being equal does not having a degree make your application "weaker"? Yes, it does. How much, depends on the school.

I guess what I'm asking is, How likely am I going to get even interviewed if I don't have a Bachelor's Degree? And I am aware I am a weaker candidate considering all the other candidates who do have a degree, but do they look at that and immediately deny you from an interview if you don't have one? I am such a worrier. I like to ask all these questions to be less stressed!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess what I'm asking is, How likely am I going to get even interviewed if I don't have a Bachelor's Degree? And I am aware I am a weaker candidate considering all the other candidates who do have a degree, but do they look at that and immediately deny you from an interview if you don't have one? I am such a worrier. I like to ask all these questions to be less stressed!

What school? I applied at 2 different schools; one had 57% of new students coming in with a completed degree while another had 90%. So as you can see it will greatly depend on the school.

What school? I applied at 2 different schools; one had 57% of new students coming in with a completed degree while another had 90%. So as you can see it will greatly depend on the school.

Skrumpy
Well I must say I am a "safety net" kind of person. I live in Michigan, but my first choice is University of Toledo. That's where I am transferring this Fall for the rest of my Pre-Pharm Courses. However I want to also apply to Wayne State, Ferris State, Washington State and a couple of the ones in California for Plan B.

You might also know the answer to this, How much do schools really look at residency? There's just so many things that go along with fulfilling requirements, it worries me that something so minor (like being a resident in a state) to me might hold me back from being interviewed.:scared:

Skrumpy
Well I must say I am a "safety net" kind of person. I live in Michigan, but my first choice is University of Toledo. That's where I am transferring this Fall for the rest of my Pre-Pharm Courses. However I want to also apply to Wayne State, Ferris State, Washington State and a couple of the ones in California for Plan B.

You might also know the answer to this, How much do schools really look at residency? There's just so many things that go along with fulfilling requirements, it worries me that something so minor (like being a resident in a state) to me might hold me back from being interviewed.:scared:

It is so different from school to school that I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess TBH. My suggestion is just to go look at the admissions statistics and see where each are at. I know there is a spreadsheet around here somewhere (perhaps someone can provide the link for you) that has a lot of the admissions information for each school right in 1 document. As far as residencies, most schools recruit more in-state students than out of states, but again it varies. I know Wisconsin is pretty crazy in that they have something like 90%+ WI residents accepted. Essentially if you aren't a WI resident you aren't getting in. However, I believe that is an exception to the rule. It might be good to create some sort of document for yourself so you can easily compare each school.

It might be good to create some sort of document for yourself so you can easily compare each school.

I like that idea! :) Thank you! Have you gotten any interviews or acceptance letters so far? I hope everything is going well for you!

I like that idea! :) Thank you! Have you gotten any interviews or acceptance letters so far? I hope everything is going well for you!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm actually done with my 2 interviews and was accepted at both places I interviewed at. Like you, I also had some white-knuckles moments and I think that everyone is going to experience that to some degree. I had a couple of sleepless nights waiting to hear back after the interview. If you want to PM me your stats I could probably guesstimate where you are at as far as competitiveness, maybe it will help ease your anxiety. In the meantime, maybe channel some of that nervous energy into preparing for interviews (researching potential questions, doing mock interviews), writing up your supplemental essays, writing your PS, etc if you haven't already started on all that. I found that it helped to take my mind off of everything just by keeping it occupied with something productive. Good luck to you and I hope you keep us updated :).

I have found that you get credit for having a bachelors as long as you can say you will have it prior to the start of pharmacy school. So try to get your last few requirements done so you can geaduate next spring before you attend pharmacy school

I have found that you get credit for having a bachelors as long as you can say you will have it prior to the start of pharmacy school. So try to get your last few requirements done so you can geaduate next spring before you attend pharmacy school

My problem is I'm not even trying to get it.. I am doing my pre-pharmacy requirements. What I was saying is that if I don't plan on and don't have a bachelor's.. does it make me a weak candidate for an interview?

no you'll be fine. I was able to get into a top 10 school with no degree and a sub 3.0 GPA. but then again I had a 98 PCAT and had a pretty good application overall. so just worry about everything else and you should be fine

How likely are yo to get an interview depends on how well do you stand out from the others, and on your PCAT scores, experience, and extracurriculars. I do not have bachelors, and I completed all of my prerequisites at community college, and I got accepted to both schools that I applied. So definitely doable! Was my application hindered because of those things? Possibly... but what matters is that I got in without wait list etc. My advice is to work on things that will set you apart from other applicants, apply, and if you won't get in then you can consider getting a bachelors, etc.

How likely are yo to get an interview depends on how well do you stand out from the others, and on your PCAT scores, experience, and extracurriculars. I do not have bachelors, and I completed all of my prerequisites at community college, and I got accepted to both schools that I applied. So definitely doable! Was my application hindered because of those things? Possibly... but what matters is that I got in without wait list etc. My advice is to work on things that will set you apart from other applicants, apply, and if you won't get in then you can consider getting a bachelors, etc.

In your opinion, what did you think your strengths were that set you apart from the others? I'm so worried. I know if I work and study hard, I have a good chance, but getting tips from those who are willing to give them to you wouldn't hurt! :D

no you'll be fine. I was able to get into a top 10 school with no degree and a sub 3.0 GPA. but then again I had a 98 PCAT and had a pretty good application overall. so just worry about everything else and you should be fine

Thank You! Great advice, I need to not worry too much! Besides I can't apply until next winter! :p

In your opinion, what did you think your strengths were that set you apart from the others? I'm so worried. I know if I work and study hard, I have a good chance, but getting tips from those who are willing to give them to you wouldn't hurt! :D

I know that those might not be crazy special, but I think that some of the things mentioned below did set me apart in a way (especially that I mentioned in my personal statement that I am possibly interested in a career in pharmaceutical research):
-I work in a chemistry research company (I am not a pharm tech like most of the applicants);
-I speak another language fluently so I mentioned that it would be helpful to better communicate with some patients (especially in my area);
-I did pharmacy related research at school;
-I received a prestigious scholarship at my community college and a chemistry award (I am not sure was that beneficial to my application, but the fact that only a handful of people got it might mean something to the admission comity);
-I also think that some of my life experiences that I mentioned in my personal statement were helpful...

I got in to schools I wanted, so I think those things had something to do with it. I don't think that my experiences are better then other people's, but I think they are different than the majority of applicants.

I know that those might not be crazy special, but I think that some of the things mentioned below did set me apart in a way (especially that I mentioned in my personal statement that I am possibly interested in a career in pharmaceutical research):
-I work in a chemistry research company (I am not a pharm tech like most of the applicants);
-I speak another language fluently so I mentioned that it would be helpful to better communicate with some patients (especially in my area);
-I did pharmacy related research at school;
-I received a prestigious scholarship at my community college and a chemistry award (I am not sure was that beneficial to my application, but the fact that only a handful of people got it might mean something to the admission comity);
-I also think that some of my life experiences that I mentioned in my personal statement were helpful...

I got in to schools I wanted, so I think those things had something to do with it. I don't think that my experiences are better then other people's, but I think they are different than the majority of applicants.

Awesome! I an bilingual as well and have a lot to offer! Did you only apply to two schools? I do have Toledo in mind and a few neighboring state universities,I just want a safety net in case I don't get in. How many colleges would guys you advice I should apply to?

I'm at a school with a dual acceptance program, meaning they accept students graduating from high school. The program basically guarantees admission into the pharmacy school after completing the required courses in 2 years prior to admission.

I have many colleagues with no degree, and they are some of the best students I have seen. I think your maturity level displayed on your application and interview will determine if you are a strong or weak candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend applying to at least a few schools. As others have said, a lack of an undergrad degree can be seen as a weakness, but it can be offset by other activities/items on your application. And possession of a previous degree is not necessarily a predictor of performance in pharmacy school.

I highly recommend researching the schools in which you have an interest. My school, for example, posts stats for the last three classes. My class had >50% with a bachelors or higher. The class after me had something like 65%.

Awesome! I an bilingual as well and have a lot to offer! Did you only apply to two schools? I do have Toledo in mind and a few neighboring state universities,I just want a safety net in case I don't get in. How many colleges would guys you advice I should apply to?

Yes, I applied to two schools. UIC was my top choice and Midwestern was my safety net. I did not want to go out of state. I probably would apply to more Illinois schools (just in case) if I had prerequisites required by those other schools. Looking back, my recommendation for you is to apply only to schools (and campuses) that you know you want to go.
I know a person that really wanted to go to UIC, so she chose to be considered for either campus; she got accepted to Rockford (once they choose for you, you cannot switch campuses). She might have been accepted to Chicago if she applied only there; she ended up choosing another school (backup), because Rockford wasn't really an option for her.

Reactions: 1 user