Does NYU do CAD/CAM Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicktheTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious is NYU does CAD/CAM training? If so to what extent?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of many schools that have extensive training in CAD/CAM. In fact, during an interview one of the applicants asked an upperclassmen if they teach it at the school. His look was priceless, and he basically said "No. This school actually teaches you to make them."
CAD/CAM is popular, no doubt. But it's not a foundational skill. What you decide to do in practice afterwards is up to you.
Besides the little anecdote, this is all my opinion btw.

I'm not aware of many schools that have extensive training in CAD/CAM. In fact, during an interview one of the applicants asked an upperclassmen if they teach it at the school. His look was priceless, and he basically said "No. This school actually teaches you to make them."
CAD/CAM is popular, no doubt. But it's not a foundational skill. What you decide to do in practice afterwards is up to you.
Besides the little anecdote, this is all my opinion btw.
Pitt is pretty much going all in on CAD/CAM. The dean is pushing for the school to be digital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Can confirm. At Pitt, they guard those CAD/CAM machines like they are their babies.

At my interview at Pitt, we had a tech. presentation focused on CAD/CAM. The instructor told us "No matter where you go, make sure they have this." He then let us play around with the scanner & the computer with a typodont.
He must have that schpeal rehearsed!
"Make sure they have this, if they don't, run in the opposite direction"

Reactions: 2 users
He must have that schpeal rehearsed!
"Make sure they have this, if they don't, run in the opposite direction"

Haha.

Last edited:
we have it here at UB. We use it a lot for indirect. Our new first year class started to dabble with it for waxing too.

We have around 6-7 scanners in a private room.

What they don't tell you is that CAD/CAM isn't that difficult to start with.. whether schools offer it or not won't make that much difference in skill.
I've had 2 years of experience with it and as long as you know how to work a computer/camera, it's mostly dependent on your clinical skills. (doing the right prep, designing the crown, margins, etc)
These things DO break, and when they don't work, the alternative is to do it traditionally. Additionally, you can't do every indirect restoration using a CEREC.

I personally would NOT put a school ahead of another just for CAD/CAM, especially if there is a big difference in tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses everyone. Certainly some important points here, primarily knowing the fundamentals. In that light I would agree it would be harmful to become dependent/less masterful of the traditional methods given the learning curve is easy past the clinical skill element of CAD/CAM. What I noticed at MWU-AZ is they defintely get jobs done more efficiently using CAD/CAM vs trad, thus more experience through more jobs completed. But I guess that is only a short term benefit.

On a side note MWU-AZ students do a crazy number of every procedure relative to pretty much all schools in the country

Reactions: 1 users