Andy2445

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2009
PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been shadowing a CT surgeon the whole summer. We wrote a Case report together and we are going to summit it before I start my junior year.

I am wonder if it counts as research on my applications.

Also, do med schools prefer a specific type of research?

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
So you did a case study and wrote it up? Did you use actual research methods or basically just document what happened? I think there are a lot of missing details here. In general, I'd be inclined to say no; however, it really depends upon what you did. Research writing generally implies, at minimum, a review of the literature, a method, results, and discussion and future applications of those results. Even in clinical research, you would still have each of those thoroughly documented. What did you write this case report on and what was contained in it?

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
It sounds unlikely to be suitable to list as research, but if you submit after it appears in a journal, you can list it under "Publications."

"Research" need not be basic science research, or clinical, or even science-related, as long as it is a scholarly approach to increasing human knowledge. For application purposes it would not include looking up other peoples' research results and rehashing them into a summary or review of the topic.