Does school publication count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of writing an article for the school's psychology news publication (biannual issue).
It's not peer-reviewed or anything.
is it worth mentioning on resumes or anything like that?
I was just wondering... but I think.. no...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes for many things, especially for volunteering positions and the like. I would even say it would be great for medical school applications.

That being said, I wouldn't make a single publication in such a journal an entire item as one of your activities. If you could somehow show this wasn't just a one time thing and that you have a bit of a track record with it, then it would be great. It may come up in a few interviews.

Unless you are struggling to limit your number of activities to 15, I would add it. It certainly cannot hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a contributor and editor of my school's literary journal. Not even science related (I write general fiction) but I put it down as a publication. Nobody gave me grief about it. In fact, some interviewers wanted to hear more about it :cool:

I am thinking of writing an article for the school's psychology news publication (biannual issue).
It's not peer-reviewed or anything.
is it worth mentioning on resumes or anything like that?
I was just wondering... but I think.. no...

Of course, so long as you don't try to pass it off as a research pub.

Obviously it is not the same as publishing in research, so be careful in saying "a publication." Other than that, yes, it is an accomplishment that you can add to your overall application. Perhaps you can even become a regular contributor, which I think would be a much stronger EC to list.

If you end up having a lot of these, consider separating your pubs on amcas into a peer reviewed group and a non peer reviewed group.

I would not list that as a publication on AMCAS. It could be relevant to include in a different category though, especially if you have other related activities to group it with

You can mention it, but like MedPR said, don't put it at the same level as an *actual* publication. School-level journals are generally not rigorous with their decisions.