Mar 16, 2012
WestCoast
Status
Pre-Medical
I am thinking of writing an article for the school's psychology news publication (biannual issue).
It's not peer-reviewed or anything.
is it worth mentioning on resumes or anything like that?
I was just wondering... but I think.. no...

Gerudo

7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would say yes for many things, especially for volunteering positions and the like. I would even say it would be great for medical school applications.

That being said, I wouldn't make a single publication in such a journal an entire item as one of your activities. If you could somehow show this wasn't just a one time thing and that you have a bit of a track record with it, then it would be great. It may come up in a few interviews.

Unless you are struggling to limit your number of activities to 15, I would add it. It certainly cannot hurt.

Konfidence

The People's Champ
Feb 14, 2013
The Jersey Shore
Status
Medical Student
I was a contributor and editor of my school's literary journal. Not even science related (I write general fiction) but I put it down as a publication. Nobody gave me grief about it. In fact, some interviewers wanted to hear more about it :cool:

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I am thinking of writing an article for the school's psychology news publication (biannual issue).
It's not peer-reviewed or anything.
is it worth mentioning on resumes or anything like that?
I was just wondering... but I think.. no...
Of course, so long as you don't try to pass it off as a research pub.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Obviously it is not the same as publishing in research, so be careful in saying "a publication." Other than that, yes, it is an accomplishment that you can add to your overall application. Perhaps you can even become a regular contributor, which I think would be a much stronger EC to list.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would not list that as a publication on AMCAS. It could be relevant to include in a different category though, especially if you have other related activities to group it with

Dec 3, 2011
"The Library"
Status
Pre-Medical
You can mention it, but like MedPR said, don't put it at the same level as an *actual* publication. School-level journals are generally not rigorous with their decisions.