Does taking Calculus really matter to get into a good Med School?

kguzman12

Oct 25, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
This was always a question I had but was never able to get much of an answer. I have already taken Statistics and passed with an A-. I was planning on taking Biostats but was wondering if that would be enough to meet the math requirement for medical school. Should I at least take Pre Calculus and then one semester of Calculus even though I know I am stronger at Stats?

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
  1. Medical Student
This was always a question I had but was never able to get much of an answer. I have already taken Statistics and passed with an A-. I was planning on taking Biostats but was wondering if that would be enough to meet the math requirement for medical school. Should I at least take Pre Calculus and then one semester of Calculus even though I know I am stronger at Stats?
Calculus was a requirement for my science major. It is not a pre-req for most medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Ole_Toe

5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
  1. Medical Student
This has been answered elsewhere, but it's absolutely not needed for MCAT or admission at 99% of schools
*edit: stats is far more useful and will meet math requirements. Pre-calc would be good to take if you haven't already taken physics.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
I was a math minor and i literally used no math for MCAT or medical school. Statistics? yes. Ability to see and understand graphs? yes. Math? no.
whether useful or not, for many years it was a requirement. I think the last two schools that required it were Harvard and UCLA (and I think it is gone in both). The only remoteu possible issue I could see in not having it is so many other applicants may have it due to their college majors. However, I think that at the vast majority of schools it will not be an issue, either by no requirement or not expected in most applicants

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.