Does the "MAY 15" rule also apply if you have a DO acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipedream812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im accepted to 1 MD and 1 DO school. Do I need to drop the DO school acceptance by May 15 as well, or is this strictly an AAMC guidline?

Members don't see this ad.

Im accepted to 1 MD and 1 DO school. Do I need to drop the DO school acceptance by May 15 as well, or is this strictly an AAMC guidline?

the two application systems are blind to each other so technically you can hold 1 MD and 1 DO acceptance at the same time...

the two application systems are blind to each other so technically you can hold 1 MD and 1 DO acceptance at the same time...

Thank you so much. Are you really sure of this or you just making stuff up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much. Are you really sure of this or you just making stuff up.

The AAMC handles all MD apps. Here's their rulebook.

AACOMAS handles all DO apps. Here's their rulebook. There is no mention of a hard deadline.

The two programs function independantly of each other (always have). (TMDSAS is different, my comments do not apply in Texas) Barring the deans of schools actually calling each other, there is no way for a school to know that you have a DO acceptance and vice versa.

That said, both stress that you really should drop once you have made up your mind.

Does that mean you have to postmark written correspondence or the schools need to get the notice on may 15? I'm still debating between 2 schools :confused:

The two programs function independantly of each other (always have). (TMDSAS is different, my comments do not apply in Texas)

:laugh:
None of my comments apply in Texas, either!

Hey guys,

Can someone explain to me how exactly this acceptance and withdraw by May 15th process works? I also read in the MSAR that schools give you a couple weeks to respond, and that you can hold multiple acceptances at once (though obviously you only should if you are very split between the schools because you are keeping spots from other people). I'm a little confused on the matter.

The reason I ask is that after my senior year, as part of one of my spring classes I'm going to Greece for 10 - 14 days. I'll probably leave around May 5th or 6th, putting me out of the country on the 15th. I don't want to screw myself over though!

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be an issue?

Hey guys,

Can someone explain to me how exactly this acceptance and withdraw by May 15th process works? I also read in the MSAR that schools give you a couple weeks to respond, and that you can hold multiple acceptances at once (though obviously you only should if you are very split between the schools because you are keeping spots from other people). I'm a little confused on the matter.

The reason I ask is that after my senior year, as part of one of my spring classes I'm going to Greece for 10 - 14 days. I'll probably leave around May 5th or 6th, putting me out of the country on the 15th. I don't want to screw myself over though!

Once you get an acceptance letter, you usually have a couple weeks to either accept or reject it, plus send in a deposit. On May 15th, you can only hold one acceptance (though you can be on waitlists for other schools), and all other acceptances must be given up. Schools will refund your deposit up until May 15th.

So, if you only have one acceptance when you leave, and you don't anticipate getting off waitlists while you're gone, you should be good. If you are on multiple waitlists, stay in contact with someone in the states (such as your parents) that can open your mail, and inform you of any additional acceptances until May 15th.

Hey guys,

You may not get into multiple places, or it may be clear very early on which your favorite will be so the issue only comes up for a portion of all applicants.

Is there someone else at the address you are using that can open mail/send in deposits for you (as necessary), and/or will you have periodic email access (via an internet cafe, hotel etc)? That would be the easiest way to handle things. This kind of question is best worried about only when may is approaching and you have multiple options.

That was a quite helpful summary mvenus, thanks!

Law2Doc, thats a good point, I'll check what kind of Internet access I'll have during that time. The reason I'm worrying so early is because the trip is required for the course, and the course is the last humanities course I need to graduate. So if I shouldn't go on the trip I need to reschedule some classes now.

Thanks for the advice!