SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Does the "MAY 15" rule also apply if you have a DO acceptance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pipedream812, May 11, 2007.

  1. pipedream812

    pipedream812 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

    87
    0
    Apr 24, 2006
    Im accepted to 1 MD and 1 DO school. Do I need to drop the DO school acceptance by May 15 as well, or is this strictly an AAMC guidline?
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Depakote

    Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    the two application systems are blind to each other so technically you can hold 1 MD and 1 DO acceptance at the same time...
     
  4. arsenewenger

    arsenewenger 2+ Year Member

    693
    0
    Dec 30, 2006
    Washington
    Thank you so much. Are you really sure of this or you just making stuff up.
     
  5. Depakote

    Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    The AAMC handles all MD apps. Here's their rulebook.

    AACOMAS handles all DO apps. Here's their rulebook. There is no mention of a hard deadline.

    The two programs function independantly of each other (always have). (TMDSAS is different, my comments do not apply in Texas) Barring the deans of schools actually calling each other, there is no way for a school to know that you have a DO acceptance and vice versa.

    That said, both stress that you really should drop once you have made up your mind.
     
  6. Monkey12

    Monkey12 Monkey12 7+ Year Member

    416
    0
    Jul 26, 2004
    Does that mean you have to postmark written correspondence or the schools need to get the notice on may 15? I'm still debating between 2 schools :confused:
     
  7. Depakote

    Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    If it's getting tight I would send an e-mail (acceptable form of notification) and not risk it.
     
  8. Monkey12

    Monkey12 Monkey12 7+ Year Member

    416
    0
    Jul 26, 2004
    I could email on the 15th right?
     
  9. Old ortho

    Old ortho 2+ Year Member

    224
    0
    Mar 11, 2007
    Call both schools and ask them on May 15 to be sure. E-mail should be Ok, followed by a letter with returned receipt.
     
  10. StringerBell

    StringerBell It's the final countdown! 5+ Year Member

    778
    4
    Jan 24, 2007
    CA
    :laugh:
    None of my comments apply in Texas, either!
     
  11. Orthodoc40

    Orthodoc40 7+ Year Member

    :laugh:

    I'm not sure if anything applies in Texas! :laugh:
     
  12. chinny5187

    chinny5187 5+ Year Member

    68
    0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Hey guys,

    Can someone explain to me how exactly this acceptance and withdraw by May 15th process works? I also read in the MSAR that schools give you a couple weeks to respond, and that you can hold multiple acceptances at once (though obviously you only should if you are very split between the schools because you are keeping spots from other people). I'm a little confused on the matter.

    The reason I ask is that after my senior year, as part of one of my spring classes I'm going to Greece for 10 - 14 days. I'll probably leave around May 5th or 6th, putting me out of the country on the 15th. I don't want to screw myself over though!

    Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be an issue?
     
  13. mvenus929

    mvenus929 Physician 10+ Year Member

    6,412
    1,136
    Jul 6, 2006
    MDApps:
    Once you get an acceptance letter, you usually have a couple weeks to either accept or reject it, plus send in a deposit. On May 15th, you can only hold one acceptance (though you can be on waitlists for other schools), and all other acceptances must be given up. Schools will refund your deposit up until May 15th.

    So, if you only have one acceptance when you leave, and you don't anticipate getting off waitlists while you're gone, you should be good. If you are on multiple waitlists, stay in contact with someone in the states (such as your parents) that can open your mail, and inform you of any additional acceptances until May 15th.
     
  14. Law2Doc

    Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    31,007
    9,836
    Dec 20, 2004

    You may not get into multiple places, or it may be clear very early on which your favorite will be so the issue only comes up for a portion of all applicants.

    Is there someone else at the address you are using that can open mail/send in deposits for you (as necessary), and/or will you have periodic email access (via an internet cafe, hotel etc)? That would be the easiest way to handle things. This kind of question is best worried about only when may is approaching and you have multiple options.
     
  15. chinny5187

    chinny5187 5+ Year Member

    68
    0
    Jul 2, 2007
    That was a quite helpful summary mvenus, thanks!

    Law2Doc, thats a good point, I'll check what kind of Internet access I'll have during that time. The reason I'm worrying so early is because the trip is required for the course, and the course is the last humanities course I need to graduate. So if I shouldn't go on the trip I need to reschedule some classes now.

    Thanks for the advice!
     

Share This Page