Does the medical school you attend determine residency location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

examsandyams

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the Midwest, I would like to eventually end up working in the same region because of family ties. I know residency matches are dependent on COMLEX/ USMLE scores and specialty, but do residencies prefer students who attend medical schools in their region? Some DO schools have missions to serve rural areas near their region, so would residencies look at this kind of information when choosing whether or not to accept someone (in addition to scores)?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have certain ties with residencies in the area and have established a reputation with them. Outside of that, there’s not a huge preference

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the Midwest, I would like to eventually end up working in the same region because of family ties. I know residency matches are dependent on COMLEX/ USMLE scores and specialty, but do residencies prefer students who attend medical schools in their region? Some DO schools have missions to serve rural areas near their region, so would residencies look at this kind of information when choosing whether or not to accept someone (in addition to scores)?
If you look at match lists, a LOT of medical schools place students in residencies close to home. Look at DMU or OKCOM as examples.

Reactions: 1 user