You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Does the "Thanksgiving Rule" Apply to DO?
Started by HaveAnOsteoblast
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Not a rule, it's a rule of thumb. You might get an interview invite next Monday or in March.
Keep rolling @HaveAnOsteoblast , at least you haven't laid a goose egg! I hope you receive more IIs down the road!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DrDumbDrum
Someone always in need of sleep
Not a rule, it's a rule of thumb. You might get an interview invite next Monday or in March.
I'm interested in your perspective on this "rule" for both MD and DO cycles, Goro... it seems awfully arbitrary to me. I have a number of friends accepted to both MD and DO schools after interviewing as late as March. I myself have only received any sort of word from 4 schools so far.
Everything depends upon how competitive you are, relative to all other applicants.I'm interested in your perspective on this "rule" for both MD and DO cycles, Goro... it seems awfully arbitrary to me. I have a number of friends accepted to both MD and DO schools after interviewing as late as March. I myself have only received any sort of word from 4 schools so far.
All applicants consider themselves rejected until they get that accept email in their inbox.
Lecom-E silence since complete in mid August 3.8/507.
KCU and DMU have sent IIs though. I think the fastest school by far was AZCOM.
AZCOM got me a secondary within 48 hours and then I wanna say it was like one week and i got a II!
AZCOM is scary expensive, but a great school with strong matches.
KCU and DMU have sent IIs though. I think the fastest school by far was AZCOM.
AZCOM got me a secondary within 48 hours and then I wanna say it was like one week and i got a II!
AZCOM is scary expensive, but a great school with strong matches.
Lecom-E silence since complete in mid August 3.8/507.
KCU and DMU have sent IIs though. I think the fastest school by far was AZCOM.
AZCOM got me a secondary within 48 hours and then I wanna say it was like one week and i got a II!
AZCOM is scary expensive, but a great school with strong matches.
I didn't apply to AZCOM or CCOM. The price tags make it so that I'd rather re-apply than go to either of them.
I'm interested in your perspective on this "rule" for both MD and DO cycles, Goro... it seems awfully arbitrary to me. I have a number of friends accepted to both MD and DO schools after interviewing as late as March. I myself have only received any sort of word from 4 schools so far.
When were you complete?
I didn't apply to AZCOM or CCOM. The price tags make it so that I'd rather re-apply than go to either of them.
Factor in 50k tuition versus 68k and then calculate the difference between the cost of reapp, interest on any current loans you have over 1 year, and a year salary as a physician (roughly 250k-400k)
It seems like the differences become narrow in the long-run and there is no guarantee you will get in somewhere else net year.
I will agree OOS for MSU tuition is far too high.
DrDumbDrum
Someone always in need of sleep
When were you complete?
I finished most of my applications in August, and the rest in the first week of September! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the "Thanksgiving rule" though, based on what @workaholic181 said. I thought it referred to some idea that you might be in hot water if you haven't received interview invitations before Thanksgiving... not my finest moment.
I finished most of my applications in August, and the rest in the first week of September! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the "Thanksgiving rule" though, based on what @workaholic181 said. I thought it referred to some idea that you might be in hot water if you haven't received interview invitations before Thanksgiving... not my finest moment.
Your interpretation is what I was going for.
I finished most of my applications in August, and the rest in the first week of September! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the "Thanksgiving rule" though, based on what @workaholic181 said. I thought it referred to some idea that you might be in hot water if you haven't received interview invitations before Thanksgiving... not my finest moment.
That’s the “rule” on preallo anyway. No IIs by Thanksgiving, plan to reapply. But Thanksgiving is early this year, and it’s not a real rule, just a guideline. I’ve also heard you can apply DO much later than MD, so I don’t see how it could also apply here.
That’s the “rule” on preallo anyway. No IIs by Thanksgiving, plan to reapply. But Thanksgiving is early this year, and it’s not a real rule, just a guideline. I’ve also heard you can apply DO much later than MD, so I don’t see how it could also apply here.
I know LizzyM's "Thanksgiving rule" is mostly for pre-allo.
But... I would like to know how students who apply to both MD/DO fare. For example, a student who has a "pre-Thanksgiving" II from a DO school (but not an MD), how do they perform in the allopathic cycle after Thanksgiving? Obviously would be a difficult thing to measure, but just a question.
I know LizzyM's "Thanksgiving rule" is mostly for pre-allo.
But... I would like to know how students who apply to both MD/DO fare. For example, a student who has a "pre-Thanksgiving" II from a DO school (but not an MD), how do they perform in the allopathic cycle after Thanksgiving? Obviously would be a difficult thing to measure, but just a question.
I was complete first week of Sept, which is the “early” deadline and half the FL schools havent even reviewed my app yet...
I know LizzyM's "Thanksgiving rule" is mostly for pre-allo.
But... I would like to know how students who apply to both MD/DO fare. For example, a student who has a "pre-Thanksgiving" II from a DO school (but not an MD), how do they perform in the allopathic cycle after Thanksgiving? Obviously would be a difficult thing to measure, but just a question.
I'll let you know lol. I just got verified for DO and have had 2 interviews at MD. I have an interview at an MD on Tuesday which is technically after Turkey Day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll let you know lol. I just got verified for DO and have had 2 interviews at MD. I have an interview at an MD on Tuesday which is technically after Turkey Day.
Sounds good.
I can give you data from the other side. Complete in July/August. Blessed to have a couple of DO acceptances at solid programs... but no "pre-Thanksgiving" MD II's yet.
Congrats on your acceptances!Sounds good.
I can give you data from the other side. Complete in July/August. Blessed to have a couple of DO acceptances at solid programs... but no "pre-Thanksgiving" MD II's yet.
Congrats on your acceptances!
Much appreciation!
Sounds good.
I can give you data from the other side. Complete in July/August. Blessed to have a couple of DO acceptances at solid programs... but no "pre-Thanksgiving" MD II's yet.
When did you receive your interview invites?
When did you receive your interview invites?
Only have received DO II. The majority of which in August and September