Does this count as clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasticMrButtons

Reaction score
A description of the volunteering role is "keep up with patient statuses and ensuring their families/friends that things are going well and moving along, as well as offering services to the patient families - everything from a place to have a nap, have a drink, or chance to relax in a quiet setting."

The hospital calls it nonclinical but it is patient related so I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

A description of the volunteering role is "keep up with patient statuses and ensuring their families/friends that things are going well and moving along, as well as offering services to the patient families - everything from a place to have a nap, have a drink, or chance to relax in a quiet setting."

The hospital calls it nonclinical but it is patient related so I'm not sure.

I just love how hospitals create these "volunteer" positions so they get free labor because they know premeds need volunteer experience. There is very little about sincere volunteering to get into medical school. AKA...people aren't doing because of the goodness in their hearts, they are doing it for an alternative motive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If youre not actually working with the patient themself, im gonna say no.

Typically, clinical volunteering includes direct contact with patients, which I'm not sure I can deduce from your post. As said frequently on this site: "If you can smell patients, it's clinical"

If the hospital is saying it’s non-clinical I’d go with that. Try to find a gig at a hospice. I did that 2-4 hours a week and it was very clinical and very rewarding

Well, you are in a hospital and you are learning the rules and procedures and getting a feel for working with clinical team members but it is unlikely that you are close enough to smell patients (my definition). This isn't a bad volunteer experience but you should also do something that gets you some facetime with patients.