Does this look weird?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnymedstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a junior in the Fall taking these courses:

Genetics - 4
Biochemistry I - 3
Genetics Lab - 3
3 credits of research (not for a class, or even for a grade)
and 3 credits of... Spanish maybe? Some easy course

Would this look weird? It would still equate to 16 credits, but would it look weird that three of those credits are research credits? Biochem is a difficult course so, I didn't want to take it with such a heavy course load. But will MD schools think I am trying to pad or something? Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics - 4
Biochemistry I - 3
Genetics Lab - 3

Would this look weird? It would still equate to 16 credits, but would it look weird that three of those credits are research credits? Biochem is a difficult course so, I didn't want to take it with such a heavy course load. But will MD schools think I am trying to pad or something? Please let me know!

I think it's fine. Be careful with genetics and biochem though. Genetics at my school was one of the toughest classes. Not sure how it is at yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it should be fine. I mean you’re still doing research. And Genetics and Biochem are hard classes. Smart not to take them with a heavy courseload

Genetics tore me a new one
Be careful

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for all your replies. whrere I go, Biochem I is insanely hard. Genetics is decent but not too terrible but Biochem I is supposedly horrible. I appreciate everyone's advice here. Genetics Lab is a JOKE lol but it is a free three credits easy A. lol

Genetics - 4
Biochemistry I - 3
Genetics Lab - 3

Could you Enlighten us as to what you think a medical school wants you to take?

Reactions: 1 users
I had two semesters in college where I only took 12 credits. You're fine.

I mean I know a medical school wants me to take challenging classes to prove I Can handle it... I'm just worried that maybe this semester, since it's just two big classes and an easy lab along with a super easy class, would look like I am trying to pad my GPA or something...

Lol like 75% of my semesters were like that (12 real class credits + everything else pass/fail) and I’ll be attending my top choice school this fall! Heck I think I might’ve had a semester with only 9 real credits and 3 pass fail research credits. You’ll be fine ;)