does this qualify as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhmha33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have several questions regarding volunteering and medical school admissions. I volunteer at a hospital and my duties include several things that range from answering calls from staff and patients, to helping patients with their needs like if they need a blanket, tissues, etc, and helping the nurses' aides when they do need help, which is rarely. Is this considered clinical experience/volunteering? I do interact with patients, as I mentioned, but I'm not sure. Also, would volunteering at a medical school's hospital help at all if I have low than average gpa (3.2-3.3)but a good MCAT score? Should I get a LOR from my supervisor? Last question, does being a graduate from a college that has a medical school help better my chances for acceptance at the med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have several questions regarding volunteering and medical school admissions. I volunteer at a hospital and my duties include several things that range from answering calls from staff and patients, to helping patients with their needs like if they need a blanket, tissues, etc, and helping the nurses' aides when they do need help, which is rarely. Is this considered clinical experience/volunteering?

Yes. You get close to the patients and interact with them. It is a clinical experience.

. Also, would volunteering at a medical school's hospital help at all if I have low than average gpa (3.2-3.3)but a good MCAT score?
No. It is unlikely to help more at that medical school than at any other.

Should I get a LOR from my supervisor?
Those LORs are, for the most part, not helpful in selecting applicants for interview or admission. Better to get LORs from faculty members who have taught you or with whom you have done research.

Last question, does being a graduate from a college that has a medical school help better my chances for acceptance at the med school?
No. Most schools are going to look for diversity rather than favoring students from a specific school. The exception to the rule is schools that take students through a 7 year BS/MD pipeline from undergrad and similar schemes.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. You get close to the patients and interact with them. It is a clinical experience.

No. It is unlikely to help more at that medical school than at any other.

Those LORs are, for the most part, not helpful in selecting applicants for interview or admission. Better to get LORs from faculty members who have taught you or with whom you have done research.

No. Most schools are going to look for diversity rather than favoring students from a specific school. The exception to the rule is schools that take students through a 7 year BS/MD pipeline from undergrad and similar schemes.

Your response was very helpful. Thank you so much.