Does volunteering I did when in high school count if I continue it in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8HourStudier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have around 650 hours of volunteering I gained throughout high school at one of the top hospitals. All were direct patient contact (listed as so under my position) and about 50 of the hours are clinical (rest were non-clinical as I didn’t do anything MEDICAL regarding the patients I believe). When I got to college, I did not have a car to drive the hour and a half to the hospital and spent my summer in EMT class and research. I am a rising junior now and if I continue to volunteer at this hospital for another 100-200 hours, would I be able to count the hours I completed in high school as well? Perhaps if I mention the gap and reasoning for this occurring? It’s a huge part of why I want to become a doctor and it would be a shame for me not to be able to count this as it means so much to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I have around 650 hours of volunteering I gained throughout high school at one of the top hospitals. All were direct patient contact (listed as so under my position) and about 50 of the hours are clinical (rest were non-clinical as I didn’t do anything MEDICAL regarding the patients I believe). When I got to college, I did not have a car to drive the hour and a half to the hospital and spent my summer in EMT class and research. I am a rising junior now and if I continue to volunteer at this hospital for another 100-200 hours, would I be able to count the hours I completed in high school as well? Perhaps if I mention the gap and reasoning for this occurring? It’s a huge part of why I want to become a doctor and it would be a shame for me not to be able to count this as it means so much to me.
Yes, you can list the earlier HS years if you resume volunteering at the same site in college. But considering the large gap in time, I'd suggest you use the Repeated feature for AMCAS, where you are allowed to enter separate timeframes for a space (up to four of them). Each would have its own datespan and total hours, but they would appear at the top of the activity space, one above the other. You want to be transparent so that the required Contact's information would match what you enter.

Reactions: 1 user