Does where you go for undergrad matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRighteous

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your undergrad education matter to pharmacy schools? I've heard that some med schools look at GPA's from different institutions differently, is that also true for pharmacy schools?

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, yes. However, it's not like going to a community college will keep you out, it's just an advantage to attend a better school.

Sure it matters, but not as much for pharmacy school as it does for other programs. I think if you want to get accepted to a top tier science graduate school, going to a community college isn't going to help you out as much as going to Reed or MIT.

For pharmacy school, I think it definetly helps if you're coming from a prestigious college, but other factors definetly trump this. Such as, being a state resident, attending the same school you're applying to, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. That's about as good of an answer you will get. My community college is actually kinda tough. I got a B in O-Chem, but got 67/70 (98th percentile) on the ACS organic chem exam. (And you bet I told them that in the interview) WVU knows the school has an ok reputation and accepted me with a 3.27 GPA.

I'm attending UC Berkeley. Would I have a higher chance when I apply to UCSF than say, someone from a CSU? Assuming that we have the same GPA and equivalent EC's?

I certainly think that most pharmacy schools look at GPA's from different schools differently. Because they know it's harder to get good grades at more prestigious and competitive schools. But the degree to which your undergraduate school's reputation matters varies from school to school. I would imagine that highly ranked schools like UCSF would care more about where you go to school whereas other schools might not care as much. Having said that, doing well at a less prestigious schools still beats doing so-so at a more prestigious school. As long as you do most of your coursework at a 4-year university, I wouldn't worry too much about the reputation of your school. Just do well in your classes and you will be fine.

P.S. Go Bears!

what about the people that have a BS in an unrelated field and are taking the pre-reqs at a local CC? i mean, could someone with a BS take pre-reqs at a University without having to do a post-bac program?

Yes, I think you can take classes at 4-year university without doing the full post-bac program, even if you have a Bachelors. The only thing is you will have to pay more than you would at a CC. But I think it's worth considering because pharmacy schools prefer pre-reqs from 4-year schools. You should check with your university.

Is a Bachelor of Science degree more desirable than a Bachelor of Arts degree in pharmacy admissions?

Is a Bachelor of Science degree more desirable than a Bachelor of Arts degree in pharmacy admissions?

No, either one is looked on as favorable.
As for what school you attend, have you ever heard of Union? My interviewers hadn't either. Do your best wherever you go. Write an outstanding personal statement. Interview as yourself, not you trying to be someone else. That should do it.