Doesn't make any sense...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good lord, I sure hope, if I decide to apply to another branch, that they don't make me do the whole process all over again. It took a great chunk of my time and energy... Certainly if I had to do it all over again, I'd think long and hard about it. I hope it's as simple as a lateral transfer of paperwork. :luck:

Any attendings or recruiters know?

The physical will transfer...you do not have to go to MEPS again..

The funny thing is, Amedd applicants get the "red carpet" treatment at MEPS. They wear a badge that identifies them. I use the MEPS in Ft hamilton in NY and they do a decent job. I remember when I went to meps 10 years ago and enlisted...believe me, I got treated a lot worse! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The funny thing is, Amedd applicants get the "red carpet" treatment at MEPS. They wear a badge that identifies them. I use the MEPS in Ft hamilton in NY and they do a decent job. I remember when I went to meps 10 years ago and enlisted...believe me, I got treated a lot worse!

Yeah, mine was pretty decent, just long. The only thing that seemed to bother anyone were the observed urine sample (which, though annoying, made perfect sense and the part where you´re sharing a room with a bunch of of other dudes in boxers (which, though crappy, I´ll take over the longer day that we´d have if they did individual appointment). I had friends, though, who went through different MEPS where the staff decided they would have fun yelling at the recruits. That would probably have gotten me pretty pissed off.

Yeah, mine was pretty decent, just long. The only thing that seemed to bother anyone were the observed urine sample (which, though annoying, made perfect sense and the part where you´re sharing a room with a bunch of of other dudes in boxers (which, though crappy, I´ll take over the longer day that we´d have if they did individual appointment). I had friends, though, who went through different MEPS where the staff decided they would have fun yelling at the recruits. That would probably have gotten me pretty pissed off.

But at least that gives them a taste of what it would be like to be enlisted and maybe they won't complain so much once they enter the military medicine machine. No doubt many of my prior experiences in the military will make me more grateful for the comforts associated with being a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
tend to agree, not to mention the observed urine sample.

Get used to the observed urine samples. I get tagged by command urinalysis about every 2-3 months. In the military we're here to defend civil rights, not practice them. We are a dictatorship defending a democracy.

That being said, I think MEPS may give you a taste of what the enlisted can expect from the military (case in point, if the staff were yelling) I'm sure the large majority of the folks there that day were enlistees, not officers. So, don't think that a day in MEPS is representitive of what an average day in the military is like. Same goes for OIC, COT, OBC or whatever your respective branch calls it. I thought OIS was pretty lame, but my daily routine is more like mainstream medicine.

Get used to the observed urine samples. I get tagged by command urinalysis about every 2-3 months. In the military we're here to defend civil rights, not practice them. We are a dictatorship defending a democracy.

Not since I was in OBC (5 years ago) did I actually have an "observer" actually spotting me so to speak. They would just stand to the side and look away, or stand behind me, and make sure I wasn't doing anything strange.

Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe no one really cares as much once you are part of the team.

Not since I was in OBC (5 years ago) did I actually have an "observer" actually spotting me so to speak. They would just stand to the side and look away, or stand behind me, and make sure I wasn't doing anything strange.

Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe no one really cares as much once you are part of the team.

That's pretty cool, but not my active duty experience. We got tested (supsedly randomly) pretty regularly, and every time the 91 Meat Gazer was right there, staring. Not looking away, or making it any easier.

I feel so dirty and taken advantage of.

That's pretty cool, but not my active duty experience. We got tested (supsedly randomly) pretty regularly, and every time the 91 Meat Gazer was right there, staring. Not looking away, or making it any easier.

I'm not really one to get stage fright, but when a dude is standing there staring at your junk because he takes his job seriously, things are a bit more difficult. Of course, I just had to pee in a cup once per "random" selection and that poor guy got to hang out in the bathroom making people uncomfortable all day long.

I'm not really one to get stage fright, but when a dude is standing there staring at your junk because he takes his job seriously, things are a bit more difficult. Of course, I just had to pee in a cup once per "random" selection and that poor guy got to hang out in the bathroom making people uncomfortable all day long.

Ahh I can't wait until I am back on active duty (next month yeah!) and I periodically start getting these 0430 calls again:

"Come straight in to the hospital. And don't piss."

Yeah I did the MEPS at Ft. Hamilton in 97 and again this past march. It had gotten better and it only took me an hour and half or something close to it. I wasn't there for long. Got there around 8:30 and I was done and back across the street to the HPSP office by 10. I knew I would have to sit in my boxers again so I was prepared but it was funny when people walked into the physicial room and sat down with all their clothes on not noticing everyone else was in their boxers. Also I laughed a little bit when I heard some of them say they were going to get into special forces but I didn't tell them how difficult that prospect was. Ah the dreams of an 18 year old.

Now when I went there back in 97 for the Corps that was an all day affair. Getting there at 6 Am and waiting around all day and then raising my right hand in the red carpeted room.

All in all my second visit was better than the first I would prefer not to duckwalk again anytime soon.

At OIS the ma'am wouldn't take her eyes of me and she looked like she was enjoying it a little too much. So, I made it my god given duty to perform a number two in front of this senior officer while I was in the head. She definitely turned away and stopped smiling...

At OIS the ma'am wouldn't take her eyes of me and she looked like she was enjoying it a little too much. So, I made it my god given duty to perform a number two in front of this senior officer while I was in the head. She definitely turned away and stopped smiling...

Whoa . . . . That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard!!

At least at NMCSD they have a system of mirrors setup so you don't realize there's a sausage-watcher.

Just saw this thread, I also found out I was on the waitlist AFTER I had already decided to turn the scholarship down. For me it has been a blessing since it has given me more time to make a final decision.

Based on everything I have heard, if you are in the top 20 or so you shouldn't worry. I am numero 11, I really look at it is a fate thing, if I get it maybe it was meant to be, if I don't then it wasn't

Life happens for a reason, sometimes you just have to go with it

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw this thread, I also found out I was on the waitlist AFTER I had already decided to turn the scholarship down. For me it has been a blessing since it has given me more time to make a final decision.

Based on everything I have heard, if you are in the top 20 or so you shouldn't worry. I am numero 11, I really look at it is a fate thing, if I get it maybe it was meant to be, if I don't then it wasn't

Life happens for a reason, sometimes you just have to go with it

I'm just a slight bit towards the front of the line than that... if I get the call, I'll let you know if one might be coming your way. I don't know if the 3-yr waitlist is separate from the 4-year waitlist though...

Maybe NavyFP knows how that generally works...? My recruiter didn't know.

Quick Q: If you had already decided against it, why are you still considering it? Are you still undecided?

I'm just a slight bit towards the front of the line than that... if I get the call, I'll let you know if one might be coming your way. I don't know if the 3-yr waitlist is separate from the 4-year waitlist though...

Quick Q: If you had already decided against it, why are you still considering it? Are you still undecided?

I want to be decided against it, I really do, the common sense part of me says I should be decided against it, but then there is another part of me that can bring myself to finalize that decision---I guess I have to blame it on some sort of military bloodline that I can't escape but there is a huge part of me that will be very disappointed in myself if I turn it down and a huge part of me that would still be interested in doing it if no scholarship or financial compensation was involved

I know that there are 40 matrix applicants that have no accepted the scholarship yet, my recruiter himself has three that were matrix but didn't get in to school anywhere, so that is a huge resevoir of scholarships with the potential to open up

Thanks for the interesting update on how the alternate list works and a bit more information about my chances... It sucks being in limbo... I'm trying to find out where I am on the list of alternates... Until I find out more information, and/or hear otherwise, I guess I'm going to assume I'm not going to get the scholarship.

the common sense part of me says I should be decided against it, but then there is another part of me that can bring myself to finalize that decision

FWIW, some of the best decisions I have made in my life had nothing to do with common sense.

Laura & Max, I wish you guys all the best. Whatever happens, I'm praying for the most beneficial outcome for you guys. :luck:

FWIW, some of the best decisions I have made in my life had nothing to do with common sense.

Laura & Max, I wish you guys all the best. Whatever happens, I'm praying for the most beneficial outcome for you guys. :luck:

Thanks! Ditto to you, let us know when you find out where you are on the alternate list

The waitlists are based on the total goal for the service. I don't know the exact numbers for the AF, but I will make up numbers to demonstrate the point.

Suppose the total goal for HPSP is 300. 4yr scholarships will be the most plentifull and take about 250 of that goal. 3 years will have about 30 and 2 years about 20.

The actual numbers are based on the needs at the time of graduation and the amount of money in the kitty to pay the students. As you may guess, a 2 year scholarship costs less than a 3 and a 3 less than a four. Changing the goals down (4 yr to 3yr and 3yr to 2 yr) is easy as the money has already be allocated to pay for that student. To trade up from a 2yr to a 3 yr would be more difficult because you are going to have to "find" the money to pay that last year.

So, being on the wait list for a 3 year is tougher than being on the list for the 4 year simply because of the overall numbers. Should the AF not fill all the 4 yr spots, they could feasibly use one for a 3 yr, but you may be waiting a bit to find out.

The waitlists are based on the total goal for the service. I don't know the exact numbers for the AF, but I will make up numbers to demonstrate the point.

Suppose the total goal for HPSP is 300. 4yr scholarships will be the most plentifull and take about 250 of that goal. 3 years will have about 30 and 2 years about 20.

The actual numbers are based on the needs at the time of graduation and the amount of money in the kitty to pay the students. As you may guess, a 2 year scholarship costs less than a 3 and a 3 less than a four. Changing the goals down (4 yr to 3yr and 3yr to 2 yr) is easy as the money has already be allocated to pay for that student. To trade up from a 2yr to a 3 yr would be more difficult because you are going to have to "find" the money to pay that last year.

So, being on the wait list for a 3 year is tougher than being on the list for the 4 year simply because of the overall numbers. Should the AF not fill all the 4 yr spots, they could feasibly use one for a 3 yr, but you may be waiting a bit to find out.

Next cycle begins July 1, couldn't take much longer than that could it?

I realize that this may be speculation on your part, but your speculation is far more educated than mine..

Next cycle begins July 1, couldn't take much longer than that could it?

I realize that this may be speculation on your part, but your speculation is far more educated than mine..

In reality the next cycle begins 1 Oct. Remember, we work via the fiscal year. When they say the next cycle begins 1 Jul, they really mean that is when they start putting packages together so they can pull the trigger immediately following 1 Oct.

I'm told the AF likes to hold onto packages and offer the next level of scholarship on 1 Oct. You may "luck" out and be offered a 2 year on 1 Oct.

In reality the next cycle begins 1 Oct. Remember, we work via the fiscal year. When they say the next cycle begins 1 Jul, they really mean that is when they start putting packages together so they can pull the trigger immediately following 1 Oct.

I'm told the AF likes to hold onto packages and offer the next level of scholarship on 1 Oct. You may "luck" out and be offered a 2 year on 1 Oct.

To which I'll have to pass... the 2-yr doesn't make any sense.

I want to do this for the right reasons, but it has to make economic sense too because it's a career move. If I don't get the 3-yr scholarship, I'm going to just hold off and maybe do FAP. I can seeing this making me fairly bitter...

To which I'll have to pass... the 2-yr doesn't make any sense.

I want to do this for the right reasons, but it has to make economic sense too because it's a career move. If I don't get the 3-yr scholarship, I'm going to just hold off and maybe do FAP. I can seeing this making me fairly bitter...

It seems like you'd get all the negatives of loans & HPSP without any of the benefits with a 2 year scholarship.

It seems like you'd get all the negatives of loans & HPSP without any of the benefits with a 2 year scholarship.

Yeah, HPSP vs. FAP is definitely a purely financial decision (GMOs vs. much more money), and a 2 year scholarship doesn´t seem to have much of a financial advantage over FAP. I can´t see the appeal.

If you do a two year HPSP and an two year HPLRP, you may come reasonably close to the financial benefit of a four year HPSP. It depends on how expensive your med school is. This won't work with a 3 year HPSP, because HPLRP requires a 2 year contract. This plan has the added benefit of getting you out of the military at two years if you find it's not for you.

Just an FYI I am going to go through the June Army Boards

If you do a two year HPSP and an two year HPLRP, you may come reasonably close to the financial benefit of a four year HPSP. It depends on how expensive your med school is. This won't work with a 3 year HPSP, because HPLRP requires a 2 year contract. This plan has the added benefit of getting you out of the military at two years if you find it's not for you.

what's HPLRP?

what's HPLRP?

Health Professions Loan Repayment Program.

AF Link: http://www.afit.edu/adhplrp/
Navy Link: http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/accessions/students/hplrp.cfm
Army Link(?): http://www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation/userlogon/Hplrp.htm

Excerpt from AF Link:
ADHPLRP participants receive repayment of loans used to finance health profession education. Repayment may consist of loan amounts for principal, interest, and reasonable educational and living expenses. The maximum repayment for FY2008 is $38,300.00, less tax liability. Payments are sent directly to the lending institution on behalf of the ADHPLRP participant. The maximum annual amount will be increased effective each October 1, at the rate prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

Just an FYI I am going to go through the June Army Boards
Glad to see you are going forward if that's what you want to do. I was approved but I'm just waiting to get my wavier approved for my LASIK surgery back in Feburary.

So is this filling up thing just an Air Force thing, or has Army or Navy turned people away?

Thanks, guys. My recruiter is on his way right now with my acceptance letter and papers for me to sign.

hopefully Max will be next...

I hope that, too, if he still wants the scholarship. Good luck to everyone still waiting... :luck:

Thanks, guys. My recruiter is on his way right now with my acceptance letter and papers for me to sign.

I hope that, too, if he still wants the scholarship. Good luck to everyone still waiting... :luck:

nothing yet... but i'm having a rough day and prob wouldn't take the call anyway.

Congratulations, Spiced. You deserve it!

I was told today that I am at the top of the waitlist now and am expected to receive the AF HPSP scholarship during the day tomorrow. I am still trying to decide between doing this and the ARNG, mostly because I am still worried about those transitional years. Anyone with any inspirational information that could help make my decision a little more clear? :)

My recruiter was supposed to call me yesterday but forgot lol. Got the scholarship...

Did your recruiter mention COT, Spiced? I wouldn't be surprised if it was full at this point.

My recruiter was supposed to call me yesterday but forgot lol. Got the scholarship...

Did your recruiter mention COT, Spiced? I wouldn't be surprised if it was full at this point.

My recruiter called me last night and told me that he just found out I was next on the list. I wouldn't be able to go to COT anyway this year because school starts the 23rd, but he seemed to be under the impression that there were still spots available in COT

Hey, Max. Congrats! Welcome.

No mention of COT. I didn't ask either. My school year starts on Aug. 4th, I think, so it would be cutting it close. He told me that my next step was to get commissioned and then to sign the HPSP contract. No exact dates were given on either of these events, so I'm essentially sitting here in KC, or thereabouts, until I hear more.

No mention of COT. I didn't ask either. My school year starts on Aug. 4th, I think, so it would be cutting it close. He told me that my next step was to get commissioned and then to sign the HPSP contract. No exact dates were given on either of these events, so I'm essentially sitting here in KC, or thereabouts, until I hear more.
Congrats to everyone that's heard back!

Regarding COT, I have orientation at my school July 28th through August 1st. I was told to get permission to miss it, so I could do COT. my school didn't have a problem with it, but it's going to suck to drive from AL on the 1st, unpack all my crap, buy all my furniture, and start school on the 4th.

:thumbup: I hope you get pulled from the list soon, if that's still what you want. :)

Thanks! I ended up putting in for the Army scholarship as well. Both services have such disadvantages and advantages that it is impossible to decide. So I have told myself, whoever offers it to me first is the way I'll go...let them make the decision for me (since they will be making alot of my future decisions for me, might as well get used to it now) My app. goes through Army Boards next tuesday, so it is is a race to the finish

Thanks! I ended up putting in for the Army scholarship as well. Both services have such disadvantages and advantages that it is impossible to decide. So I have told myself, whoever offers it to me first is the way I'll go...let them make the decision for me (since they will be making alot of my future decisions for me, might as well get used to it now) My app. goes through Army Boards next tuesday, so it is is a race to the finish

Haha you should tell each recruiter that. That would be interesting.

Regarding COT, I have orientation at my school July 28th through August 1st. I was told to get permission to miss it, so I could do COT. my school didn't have a problem with it, but it's going to suck to drive from AL on the 1st, unpack all my crap, buy all my furniture, and start school on the 4th.

Interesting. I hope you have a smooth transition, Jolie, despite the time crunch.

I just emailed my recruiter asking about COT. I would prefer to delay it until later, actually, but if I absolutely have to do it this summer, then I guess I have my last summer cut out for me. In any case, it would be good to know whether I am going to be required to go this summer, or not, so I can plan the rest of it.

Maybe I'll see you there? :)

Haha you should tell each recruiter that. That would be interesting.

I know especially since they each call me three to four time/wk, telling me not to go to the other side....its all such a crap shoot, so I figure I'll play

Hey, Max, my recruiter says that COT is something that we schedule through AFIT, but he doubts that there is going to be space available... Either way, when AFIT becomes our POC, I guess we contact them about it.

I know especially since they each call me three to four time/wk, telling me not to go to the other side....its all such a crap shoot, so I figure I'll play

Must feel kind of good, in a way, to be fought over like that. Anyway, I hope for the most beneficial outcome.

Must feel kind of good, in a way, to be fought over like that. Anyway, I hope for the most beneficial outcome.

Well......got the call today......Air Force beat out Army........so......I'll be joining you boys!

:eek::eek::eek: