Doing a gap year, should I start an AMCAS application to correctly find Sci-GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Designated D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really sure about the order that I should be following here but there are too many GPA calculators that aren't consistent enough for me to feel that I'm accurate about my AMCAS GPA score...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this either...help?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS GPAs are the cumulative and then BCPM (biology chemistry physics math) and AOA (all other areas)

And what order are you referencing?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about it?

You add up all your grades for Bio Chem Phys and Math classes and divide by the number of credit hours...

I'm confused as to what you are confused about...

Not really sure about the order that I should be following here but there are too many GPA calculators that aren't consistent enough for me to feel that I'm accurate about my AMCAS GPA score...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this either...help?
You don't get calcs out of AMCAS until you submit transcripts and pay to initiate an app. I'm not sure you can even do this without applying to at least one school, and I'm not sure you can still apply this year. If you don't trust GPA calculators, make your own. Not hard.

What I did: made a spreadsheet with every class (130 of 'em: I've been taking undergrad courses since 1984 on quarters and semesters at 5 different schools), categorized according to the AMCAS instructions, and set up the math. This way I know what to expect, and when I get the AMCAS results I can check their math. AMCAS made 2 mistakes in '07 (not affecting my GPA calcs), and none in '09. In '07 I did this for AMCAS, AACOMAS and TMDSAS, all of which are different.

Best of luck to you.