Doing Prelim Year, applying for rads - repeat prelim yr during gap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weeels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing my surgery intern prelim year and applied for radiology this match.

During my gap year, I was just planning on repeating my intern surg year since I enjoy the program and figured I might as well continue to gain clinical experience and get paid - however, when mentioning this during one of my interviews, the PD recommended against that because apparently since I matched into surgery, I get 5 years of post graduate medicare pay and if I repeat my prelim year + 4 years of rad, I wouldn't have enough medicare money to pay the hospital/get paid during that last or something of that sort.

I was wondering if anyone had experience in this situation. What did you do during your gap year? I'm a US IMG and I have about 5 rads interviews and I obviously need to prepare a backup plan. Would it be better to rank the prelim and do the prelim just in case I don't match into rads? Or would it better better to only rank rads and if I don't match, find something else to do during the year?

Also, If I do rank prelim and rads and end up getting both, what is the NRMP's rule on pulling out of the prelim so that my rads program can have the medicare funds it needs? If I break the contract with the repeat prelim year, will that affect my rads agreement?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe prelims count against the Medicare payment rules -you get 4 years of funding for an advanced rad spot not 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work in an urgent care in your gap year. With an internship completed you can do this. You will need a full medical license.

Work in an urgent care in your gap year. With an internship completed you can do this. You will need a full medical license.

This, if you are looking to make money you would make significantly more doing this or disability physicals for a year. You will definitely need a full license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk