Done with DAT! 24 AA 24 TS 21 PAT. Thanks and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
Just got back from the test center and am happy to say I exceeded my expectations! This forum has helped me immensely over the past 3 months and I just wanted to say some thanks and give some advice to others!

First the scores:

PAT
QR 23
RC 24
Bio 24
GC 25
OC 24
TS 24
AA 24

Schedule:
6 Weeks. 6 days a week of 6-8 hours a day. I graduated in May and had I covered Orgo/Gen Chem more recently (took them 2.5 years ago), I think you could lose a week or two from this timeplan. The schedule is doable, tough, but doable. Just make sure to give yourself an off day once a week so you don't burn out! First 3ish weeks to cover material, then 2 weeks of Destroyer and 1 week of Practice tests (Bootcamp and KBB).

Materials:
DAT Bootcamp, Kaplan Blue Book, DAT/Math Destroyer 2017, Chad's Videos, Cliff's AP Bio

Strategy:
I used the first 3 weeks to read all of Cliffs and KBB bio, watch and take notes of all of chads OC, GC, and QR videos. I also would during my lunch/dinner break each day (depending on when I studied) use that time to learn how to approach the PAT section (used both KBB and Bootcamp for this). Then I did all of the Bio, GC, Orgo, QR (Tests 1-10) problems in Destroyer. When you encounter something you don't recognize or understand, STOP. Don't "come back to it later." Immediately go and learn that topic. Use google, chad's, or another resource and become an expert on that topic. Don't just memorize the answer to that specific question, understand why that answer makes sense. It sucks, I know, but its the only way to make sure that you are attacking your weakest areas. Also Destroyer will make you think you are unprepared. Expect to get less than 70% of the questions correct. But, remember that if you learn why you missed a question on Destroyer, then you will get a similar question correct on the DAT.

Then, after finishing Destroyer, I spend a week doing a full DAT run-through each morning via either bootcamp or the Kaplan tests (my test was at 8AM and about an hour drive away so I woke up at 6 to simulate). My scores for those tests were below (first 5 were 5 bootcamp, then 2 kaplan, and then average in bold).

Biology 24 20 19 21 20 21 19 20.8
G Chem 23 19 26 24 20 19 18 22.4
O Chem 20 20 18 21 20 16 18 19.8
PAT 21 20 21 21 20 19 24 20.6
Reading Comp 22 21 21 23 23 24 24 22
QR 17 19 20 18 19 15 17 18.6
AA 21 20 21 21 20 19 19 20.6

I felt pretty good during these tests, but similar to destroyer, I went back after I finished and learned why I missed what I did. I also saw my my QR and PAT scores as lacking so at the end of each day I took an extra test in bootcamp or destroyer in each of these sections.

The day before my test I did not take a practice exam. I worked around 30 questions from each section, did 2 PAT, 2 QR tests, and then looked over some miscellaneous notes that I had accrued during my review on topics I was still struggling with (for me it was phylums- shoutout to Feralis for that taxonomy cheat sheet!) I went to bed intending on getting 8 hours of sleep. That did not happen.

Test Day:
After being awoken at 2:30 by my dog's fear of the terrifying curtains in my room (he's a rescue so I cut him some slack), I was unable to get back to sleep so instead I lay in bed till 5 working through OC reactions, cell metabolism, just random stuff in my head. Showered, ate my regular breakfast (don't change anything up the day of the test!) and then blasted some Chance Coloring Book for good vibes on the way to the test center. It was about an hour away so I got to see the sunrise which was pretty calming. Walked into the test at 7:10 and out by 11:00. Bio section was finished in 10 mins, nothing too difficult. GC in 20, had one problem I couldn't figure out and will probably continue to stress over. OC in 20, very straightforward. Reviewed a few questions and then drew out my hole punch, cube counting, and other PAT related devices. (Aside: I hated having to use markers during the test. If I could go back I would practice with non-erase dry markers and limit myself to 2 sheets of scratch paper at a time during my practice tests. I many times found myself waiting on the staff to bring me more paper!). PAT was alright, I did keyholes first, skipped TFE, and then did the rest before coming back to TFE (usually my worst section). Angles were tough but pattern folding was very easy. I finished with around 10 mins, allowing myself to rework a few of the tougher ones. I spent 2 minutes during my break grabbing water then went back in. (Another aside: they did not let me write during the breaks at this test center. If I had been pressed for time, having to write out my PAT outline, RC outline, and QR hints would have made me very upset.) Finished RC in 30 minutes. Search and destroy all the way. QR felt easy outside of a few problems that I hadn't ever seen before (had to guess on 2). Checked over and still had 5 minutes left. At this point I felt like could fly and I hit end. Scores came back after I quickly skipped the end survey (does anyone have the patience to not immediately go to the scores??).

Conclusion:
I did well. I am very happy and am currently celebrating by brewing an IPA and play fetch with my dog. I couldn't have done it without this site and some of its contributors. Thank you Dr. Jim Romano, Ari from Bootcamp, Chad for the best damn videos (wish I had known about these as a freshman), Feralis for an insane amount of time put into your notes, and anyone else who has posted answers on this site!

I want to say that if you put in the time and use the resources available, you can beat this test! If you have any questions just DM me and I'll be happy to help. Hopefully the next time I post on here it will be about an interview!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey Everyone!
Just got back from the test center and am happy to say I exceeded my expectations! This forum has helped me immensely over the past 3 months and I just wanted to say some thanks and give some advice to others!

First the scores:

PAT
QR 23
RC 24
Bio 24
GC 25
OC 24
TS 24
AA 24

Schedule:
6 Weeks. 6 days a week of 6-8 hours a day. I graduated in May and had I covered Orgo/Gen Chem more recently (took them 2.5 years ago), I think you could lose a week or two from this timeplan. The schedule is doable, tough, but doable. Just make sure to give yourself an off day once a week so you don't burn out! First 3ish weeks to cover material, then 2 weeks of Destroyer and 1 week of Practice tests (Bootcamp and KBB).

Materials:
DAT Bootcamp, Kaplan Blue Book, DAT/Math Destroyer 2017, Chad's Videos, Cliff's AP Bio

Strategy:
I used the first 3 weeks to read all of Cliffs and KBB bio, watch and take notes of all of chads OC, GC, and QR videos. I also would during my lunch/dinner break each day (depending on when I studied) use that time to learn how to approach the PAT section (used both KBB and Bootcamp for this). Then I did all of the Bio, GC, Orgo, QR (Tests 1-10) problems in Destroyer. When you encounter something you don't recognize or understand, STOP. Don't "come back to it later." Immediately go and learn that topic. Use google, chad's, or another resource and become an expert on that topic. Don't just memorize the answer to that specific question, understand why that answer makes sense. It sucks, I know, but its the only way to make sure that you are attacking your weakest areas. Also Destroyer will make you think you are unprepared. Expect to get less than 70% of the questions correct. But, remember that if you learn why you missed a question on Destroyer, then you will get a similar question correct on the DAT.

Then, after finishing Destroyer, I spend a week doing a full DAT run-through each morning via either bootcamp or the Kaplan tests (my test was at 8AM and about an hour drive away so I woke up at 6 to simulate). My scores for those tests were below (first 5 were 5 bootcamp, then 2 kaplan, and then average in bold).

I felt pretty good during these tests, but similar to destroyer, I went back after I finished and learned why I missed what I did. I also saw my my QR and PAT scores as lacking so at the end of each day I took an extra test in bootcamp or destroyer in each of these sections.

The day before my test I did not take a practice exam. I worked around 30 questions from each section, did 2 PAT, 2 QR tests, and then looked over some miscellaneous notes that I had accrued during my review on topics I was still struggling with (for me it was phylums- shoutout to Feralis for that taxonomy cheat sheet!) I went to bed intending on getting 8 hours of sleep. That did not happen.

Test Day:
After being awoken at 2:30 by my dog's fear of the terrifying curtains in my room (he's a rescue so I cut him some slack), I was unable to get back to sleep so instead I lay in bed till 5 working through OC reactions, cell metabolism, just random stuff in my head. Showered, ate my regular breakfast (don't change anything up the day of the test!) and then blasted some Chance Coloring Book for good vibes on the way to the test center. It was about an hour away so I got to see the sunrise which was pretty calming. Walked into the test at 7:10 and out by 11:00. Bio section was finished in 10 mins, nothing too difficult. GC in 20, had one problem I couldn't figure out and will probably continue to stress over. OC in 20, very straightforward. Reviewed a few questions and then drew out my hole punch, cube counting, and other PAT related devices. (Aside: I hated having to use markers during the test. If I could go back I would practice with non-erase dry markers and limit myself to 2 sheets of scratch paper at a time during my practice tests. I many times found myself waiting on the staff to bring me more paper!). PAT was alright, I did keyholes first, skipped TFE, and then did the rest before coming back to TFE (usually my worst section). Angles were tough but pattern folding was very easy. I finished with around 10 mins, allowing myself to rework a few of the tougher ones. I spent 2 minutes during my break grabbing water then went back in. (Another aside: they did not let me write during the breaks at this test center. If I had been pressed for time, having to write out my PAT outline, RC outline, and QR hints would have made me very upset.) Finished RC in 30 minutes. Search and destroy all the way. QR felt easy outside of a few problems that I hadn't ever seen before (had to guess on 2). Checked over and still had 5 minutes left. At this point I felt like could fly and I hit end. Scores came back after I quickly skipped the end survey (does anyone have the patience to not immediately go to the scores??).

Conclusion:
I did well. I am very happy and am currently celebrating by brewing an IPA and play fetch with my dog. I couldn't have done it without this site and some of its contributors. Thank you Dr. Jim Romano, Ari from Bootcamp, Chad for the best damn videos (wish I had known about these as a freshman), Feralis for an insane amount of time put into your notes, and anyone else who has posted answers on this site!

I want to say that if you put in the time and use the resources available, you can beat this test! If you have any questions just DM me and I'll be happy to help. Hopefully the next time I post on here it will be about an interview!!!

Congratulations Tarheel, I was raised in Virginia so I know all about Tarheels! LOL

Excellent scores and study plan..

Wishing you the best..

Nancy and Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

First the scores:

PAT
QR 23
RC 24
Bio 24
GC 25
OC 24
TS 24
AA 24

Schedule:

Materials:

Strategy:

Test Day:

Conclusion:

Sweet lord. Congrats! Those are some phenomenal scores. I'm most impressed by how much extra time you had left. That is amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet lord. Congrats! Those are some phenomenal scores. I'm most impressed by how much extra time you had left. That is amazing.
I honestly don't know how. I usually ran it pretty close on the bootcamp tests (especially QR). I have a feeling I had an easier test than usual. I also worked hard to not focus on questions that I didn't know how to solve immediately, I would guess and mark it to come back later.

Congratulations! Great scores in every single section. You prepared well and it definitely paid off.

Waiting for the fresh laminated sheets was really annoying for me as well, btw. I do wish testing centers were more on top of that.

Did you have a lot of new quantitative comparison questions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes. Fortunately most were just formatting an easy question in a more difficult manner (like A= x^2 and B=6) when you were given an equation. I had like 4 ratio questions which I thought was a gift haha.

Yes. Fortunately most were just formatting an easy question in a more difficult manner (like A= x^2 and B=6) when you were given an equation. I had like 4 ratio questions which I thought was a gift haha.
Congrats! Amazing Scores! How did the QC questions compared to Bootcamp? Those types of questions are destroying me right now. What do you mean by ratio and formatting an easy question in a difficult way? Thanks for your help!

Congrats! Amazing Scores! How did the QC questions compared to Bootcamp? Those types of questions are destroying me right now. What do you mean by ratio and formatting an easy question in a difficult way? Thanks for your help!

QR was similar to Bootcamp, less difficult than Math Destroyer.

For ratio questions. Example:

Three whole numbers are in a ratio of 6:4:2 sum is 144. What is the difference between the third number and the first? How I approached these problems was to add the ratio numbers together (so 6+4+2= 12) and then divide the sum by that number (144/12=12) now you know that the ratios are all of that number. So the first number is 6*12, second is 4*12, and third is 2*12.

As for the more difficult formatting, it would take something simple like 5x^5+10x^4= f(x) normally you factor out to 5x^4(x+2)=f(x) and then find that x can be either 0 or -2. But the new more difficult formatting will have you compare

Scenario A: y=0
Scenario B: -1

and then ask you if A>B, or if A<B, or if it cannot be determined. I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

First the scores:

PAT
QR 23
RC 24
Bio 24
GC 25
OC 24
TS 24
AA 24

Schedule:

Materials:

Strategy:

Test Day:

Conclusion:

What is your bio background? Did everything on your exam come from Cliffs and BC or were there random questions?

Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your test day, sorry to hear you didn't get much sleep but it looks like you didn't need it. Love the advice on how to study, I think a lot of students will find this info helpful. Congrats again!

When you encounter something you don't recognize or understand, STOP. Don't "come back to it later." Immediately go and learn that topic. Use google, chad's, or another resource and become an expert on that topic. Don't just memorize the answer to that specific question, understand why that answer makes sense.
^^ solid advice

What is your bio background? Did everything on your exam come from Cliffs and BC or were there random questions?
I was a Biology major so I had pretty good base knowledge. However, the last 2 years I had really only been taking upper level neurobio classes and doing research in that area so I had to relearn everything from the intro level (genetics, ecology, etc.) bio classes using Cliff's, Kaplan, BC, or Feralis when I wanted to go really in depth. As for random questions, I did encounter a few I was unfamiliar with. However, because it is a multiple choice test, I was able to eliminate some of the answers because I knew they didn't fit. Just try to have as wide a base of knowledge as possible. The breadth over depth is really good advice.