Don't have much research experience -- Masters vs. Lab Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

numbersloth

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm at a small liberal arts college that generally doesn't encourage year-long research (only summer research is usually available). Based on my limited research experience, I think I would like to get an MD-PhD. I know that I need more experience for this to happen. Would I be better off in a masters program where I can get mentored and write a thesis or as a lab tech at a university? I have a grant for the masters program so cost isn't an issue.
 
If cost isn't an issue, I would go where you have the most research autonomy, which will probably be the masters program. Just make sure that the classes won't hurt your GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read that you're interested in genetics. I've been in a genetics lab for two years (part time + summers) and I personally think a lab technician would expose you more to research. Although I'm not in med school now, if you have any questions about genetics lab I think I could help.