Don't lost hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The statistics and facts show that URM are underqualifed. There are charts and statistics showing the average SAT scores, PCAT scores, DAT scores, GPA, etc. of people of different races. Asians and Whites have the highest averages. Asians being slightly higher. ;) African Americans and Hispanics have lower stats on average. It has been documented. Thats your proof there.

Not to mention I know a black girl that got into dental school with me at Columbia with a 17 on the DAT. Thats AA at your best. The average score is a 22. Thats waaaay below the schools average. Its like getting in with a 60 PCAT/ 2.8 GPA. Its called AA. :rolleyes:

Oh wait maybe its because school's use AA to accept underqualified URM's rather than qualified URM'S and that's on them. I know a couple of schools that do this, so that when the URM'S fail they can be self righteous and claim yes we gave them an opportunity look how they turned out. Schools do this deliberately so dont quote those statistics I dont buy them for a moment. If you want to make a comparison please make one between qualified ORM'S and qualified URM's

Secondly, most URM;s at least a large proportion of them live in disadvantaged neighbohoods and attend disadvantaged schools and thus when a large proportion of a race is receiving substandard education, you hardly expect their average scores to be high, therefore URM's have lower scores so you cant compare apples to oranges. How about you take the average of white people in the same situation as URM's I am sure their averages too will be significantly lower. So please do not chuck up the differences to Race!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The statistics and facts show that URM are underqualifed. There are charts and statistics showing the average SAT scores, PCAT scores, DAT scores, GPA, etc. of people of different races. Asians and Whites have the highest averages. Asians being slightly higher. ;) African Americans and Hispanics have lower stats on average. It has been documented. Thats your proof there.

Not to mention I know a black girl that got into dental school with me at Columbia with a 17 on the DAT. Thats AA at your best. The average score is a 22. Thats waaaay below the schools average. Its like getting in with a 60 PCAT/ 2.8 GPA. Its called AA. :rolleyes:

If the average is 22, Isnt it common sense to say that there are lots of people who are higher than average and also a lot of people who are lower than average. If the black girl has 17 and 2.8GPA, so what:rolleyes:? Arent there other black people who scored high and also attended that dental school? Lemme guess, even if you knew some URMs with high scores, you will not post them because you are backing a your baseless point. How did you even know her score? cuz i am sure she is smart enough not to tell people like you.

AA at its best. Thats why i love it. It provides opportunity to those whom will not even be granted such opportunities. By the way, you said adcoms are tolerable and intelligent people. That doesnt disqualify the fact that many qualified URMs had been rejected due to racial bias. This is one of the reasons why Historically black colleges were created. To promote black people and other Minorities because many members of adcoms harboured racial prejudice. Its a fact that blacks were not given equal opportunity at schools. Dont assume that some adcom members dont harbour their own personal bias. AA is not meant to take underqualifed people. Instead, AA is there to make sure that qualified URMs are given an equal opportunity at schools. Now, when AA is implemented to give all minorities equal opportunity, you scream foul play. There is a huge difference between foul play and fair play. Without AA, many qualified African Americans and hispanics will be rejected solely because of bias. Thats why I like both Clinton and Kennedy. These guys understood what was going on. Considering the fact that racism exists today, there is every reason for many qualified minorities particularly black and hispanic to believe that they will not be accepted to their schools because of prejudice. AA is present to alleviate such concerns and make URMs know that they are being protected from bias.

Last edited:
wow all i can say is got a knot in my throat after reading this.. Its crazy how people feel about minorities.

Food for thought there are more "minorities" in Pharmacy school.. I'm just saying..

My pharmacy class is very diverse and Caucasians are the minority.. I'm just saying, being a lady of latin decent it is saddens me to hear such things

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow all i can say is got a knot in my throat after reading this.. Its crazy how people feel about minorities.

Food for thought there are more "minorities" in Pharmacy school.. I'm just saying..

My pharmacy class is very diverse and Caucasians are the minority.. I'm just saying..

And it shouldnt be about our ethnicity its should be solely about our intelligence..

You're making it sound like any of the opinions presented in this now-resurrected thread reflect the entirety of the pharmacy student body.

I agree that someone's suitability for a professional school should be based on their intelligence (and work ethic) rather than on their ethnicity, but what attracted you to this thread?

Wow, "prick" huh? My comments cut you really deep, didn't they?

First of all, if you'd read what I said, you'd know that I grew up in a terrible environment. I was forthright about that. I grew up alongside folks of all walks of life, and I harbor no ill-will toward anyone that looks different than me, talks different than me, walks differently, or practices a different religion. Absolutely zero, zip.

What I have an issue with is someone I grew up with getting a slot in a pharmacy program based on the fact that he or she is a URM, not based on the fact of merit.

For example, I grew up with a kid named Miguel. I would consider us best friends, although when I went to Stanford he stayed in the area and went to CSU Sacramento. Assuming we applied to the same Pharmacy school right now, despite me always having better grades, despite me always working when he'd go out partying, despite me putting forth my best efforts and coming prepared with a 3.73 cumulative 3.85 sci gpa, he might get the nod over me with a more modest 3.2 or 3.1, or even worse, based on the fact that he is a URM.

Does that mean I dislike Hispanics, or "cross the street" when they're coming? Does that mean I'd be "shocked" to see that Dr. Johnston is not white? of course not, and to extrapolate that from what I wrote borders on irrationality. Clearly you got worked up from my post, and your reply was based in emotional response, not in logic. That's understandable as this topic is quite charged.

Was I harsh about my line on working less hard, having more "play" time if I was a URM? No, I don't think so. Why do I not think so? Because for every "hard working" URM that has to go to work AND school (please, as if I don't work 30 hours a week and still maintain a 3.8????? Okay.) there are 10, 20, or more who use their URM status knowingly to relax and use it as a shield. I know these people personally, and if you think this doesn't occur, you're living in a fantasy land.

To say things like Gator did, where URMs are possibly working to support a family and going to school I respond with "Isn't everyone else?" I mean, c'mon now, is it fair to assume every white guy has mom and dad bankrolling his education equally fairly as is assuming every URM lives in the ghetto, works 60 hours a week in the field and still somehow puts in enough school-time to get a 3.0 and deserves a slot in Pharm. school because of that?

It's not fair. Nothing in life is fair, I get that. Believe me, after spending a combined 30 months in Iraq and Afghanistian, I can totally relate. I grew up in the poorest part of Sacramento. Gangs, drugs, you name it, it was there.

I pulled myself out of that cycle of nonsense, and I didn't do that BECAUSE I WAS WHITE, nor did I get any accolade for doing so. However, my bff Miguel gets complimented and congratulated on a nearly daily basis for "escaping the horrible ghetto in which he grew up" and how he was able to avoid drugs.

To me, this is offensive to MIGUEL. Why? It's assuming every URM, every "mexican like him", is automatically predisposed to gang involvement or drug abuse. Please, this is nonsense.

URMs deserve no more special treatment than I do for doing what I have done in my life.

As white people, as the "majority" (Which is changing...), we see everything with our white lens of privilege, this is true. I won't dispute that, when I am trying to get a job, the fact that I'm white might be of benefit to me over an equally-qualified minority just because he's a minority. I'm not blind to that fact, but I don't think the answer is letting URMs into professional schools (ANd graduate schools alike) in an effort to even that disparity out.

And for anyone out there thinking "Oh, he has no idea what it's like being around minorities" - Stop thinking that. There is no one more diverse place on this PLANET than the United States armed forces. Nowhere. I was bunked in Basic Training with guys from Harlem all the way to Anchorage. In Iraq, I fought alongside women from the self-labeled "pit of hell" and I fought alongside privileged "preppy white boys" from Palos Verdes or the Hamptons getting some life experience.

Bottom line - Letting someone with inferior credentials into a program that is exclusive is ludicrous, and it creates a system of rewarding poor performance. For whatever reason, if a person performs poorly, he or she should NOT be rewarded, in any way.

But again, this country loves to reward poor decision-making, so I supose it's no surprise.

BUT WAIT!!! You cry out to me. Minorities don't know how to make good decisions, because they have a hard life growing up, and their parents are probably migrant workers and don't know anything about college! This is a common complaint for people like me against "affirmative action." To this, I point at people like myself, a "WASP", who grew up in the VERY SAME red-lined "GHETTO" that "URMs" grow up in, yet I receive zero compensation for it. What's the deal?

:thumbup:

I am an URM, my parents never went to college and I didn't grow up in the best of neighborhoods. And yes, I screwed up in college during my freshman year with my drinking and partying. I have been spending the last several years making up for that with a 3.9 post-bac GPA WHILE working 40+ hours a week at a VERY stressful job. NEVER ONCE have I blamed my mistakes on the fact that I am an URM. I took some personal responsibility for MY poor choices and addressed them as such in my supplementals. In fact, if I HAD used my URM status as an excuse, it would have only diminished my accomplishments. I refuse to do that because I have worked my ASS off to even get to where I am today. I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me because I am a latina from a ****ty neighborhood. My parents were born here as were my grandparents. As far as I am concerned, as an American, I was given the same opportunities to a free public education as every other citizen of this country.

Last edited:
Is the OP for realz?

If it's true you can get 6 interviews with 2.8 GPA then pharm school is now the new law school.