This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alessandra20

Reaction score
Hello :)
I’m currently a junior at my university pursuing pharmacy hopefully and i’ve been really stressed. My two schools i am aiming for have removed the obligation for a PCAT score for 2021 applicants (Wayne State University and University of Michigan) i have a 3.5 gpa score as of right now and have done some volunteering and was hoping that getting a good score on the pcat would balance it out but since it’s not an obligation to take it anymore, i’m kind of stuck. I’m not sure if i am the strongest applicant because i have retaken 4 of my previous classes (i received an A or a B on them) and don’t have the highest GPA; but what i’m trying to get at is, will schools accepts me with my current application? I would really appreciate all the advice i can get or any pointers! (i am also planning on applying for early action)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go into pharmacy. You'll most likely be stuck as a retail floater with poor pay.
The removal of the PCAT is to attract lower quality students in order to fill seats.
Hopefully you've worked as a pharmacy tech, and understand what the industry is like?

Reactions: 5 users
You're crazy to get into this profession.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go into pharmacy. You'll most likely be stuck as a retail floater with poor pay.
The removal of the PCAT is to attract lower quality students in order to fill seats.
Hopefully you've worked as a pharmacy tech, and understand what the industry is like?
i’ve been getting this a lot but i just wanna test my shot at applying first, due to the circumstances i’ve provided, would i get in?

i’ve been getting this a lot but i just wanna test my shot at applying first, due to the circumstances i’ve provided, would i get in?
You’d get in. But it’s not a good idea to go. Would you get a job? Maybe? Probably not the job you want though. Would you also get a bunch of debt? Probably.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know much about those specific programs but just from there admissions pages, you probably would. They both waived PCAT so long as your gpa is above a 3.0 and Michigan's stats show sub 3.0 being admitted admitted every year with the average right around a 3.5

Pharmacy schools are generally struggling to fill seats, you'll probably get in if you apply. You probably should find something else though.

Reactions: 4 users
You’d get in. But it’s not a good idea to go. Would you get a job? Maybe? Probably not the job you want though. Would you also get a bunch of debt? Probably.
a couple of my family members own a chain of self owned pharmacies so i’m pretty much covered in terms of finding a job. My only concern is because i retook a couple of classes does that hinder with my acceptance at all? does the no pcat requirement make it more difficult to get in? (if you have less than 3.0 you can still apply but a pcat is still required)

I don't know much about those specific programs but just from there admissions pages, you probably would. They both waived PCAT so long as your gpa is above a 3.0 and Michigan's stats show sub 3.0 being admitted admitted every year with the average right around a 3.5

Pharmacy schools are generally struggling to fill seats, you'll probably get in if you apply. You probably should find something else though.
do you advice i take the pcat because i retook a couple of my classes to make up for it? either way because i have a higher gpa they won’t really care for it but just out of curiosity?

do you advice i take the pcat because i retook a couple of my classes to make up for it? either way because i have a higher gpa they won’t really care for it but just out of curiosity?
Pharmacy schools have no problem even accepting 2.8 GPA students without the PCAT.
Seriously, don't go into it. 2 schools just shut down, with more on the way. Look at NAPLEX pass rates

Reactions: 1 user
They'll take anyone with a pulse who can get a loan for 200k.

a couple of my family members own a chain of self owned pharmacies so i’m pretty much covered in terms of finding a job. My only concern is because i retook a couple of classes does that hinder with my acceptance at all? does the no pcat requirement make it more difficult to get in? (if you have less than 3.0 you can still apply but a pcat is still required)

Just because they own a couple of pharmacies doesn't mean you're completely covered. Do they cut their current employees' hours and give you a full-time position? You sure they will give you competitive pay so that you're able to pay off that fat 6-figure loan?
Now lets say you are able to secure a job with them, are you okay with knowing you'd be applying against thousands of applicants once you decide to move some place else? You should ask these family members what they think about the profession. Let us know what they say.

does the no pcat requirement make it more difficult to get in? (if you have less than 3.0 you can still apply but a pcat is still required)

They removed the pcat requirement to make it EASIER to get in. You've already saw all these warnings yet you still want to pursue this profession so go for it. If you are too lazy or unconfident to look into other professions, then i'd say you will regret this decisions after you dedicated 4 years and 6-figure debt after graduation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd still lean towards the PCAT not being necessary. I suppose it does depend on what exactly happened with the classes that you retook though. If you have a decent explanation for why you struggled with them you'll probably be ok, especially if you haven't had issues with classes since retaking those ones.

I don't really know anything about the programs you're looking into other than what they have published online in their admissions overview though.

That being said, the PCAT isn't a huge deal so if testing centers are open and it's causing you a lot of anxiety, you could take it just for peace of mind.

You mentioned having pharmacists in your family, what do they think about your application? Or going into pharmacy in general for that matter.

Hello :)
I’m currently a junior at my university pursuing pharmacy hopefully and i’ve been really stressed. My two schools i am aiming for have removed the obligation for a PCAT score for 2021 applicants (Wayne State University and University of Michigan) i have a 3.5 gpa score as of right now and have done some volunteering and was hoping that getting a good score on the pcat would balance it out but since it’s not an obligation to take it anymore, i’m kind of stuck. I’m not sure if i am the strongest applicant because i have retaken 4 of my previous classes (i received an A or a B on them) and don’t have the highest GPA; but what i’m trying to get at is, will schools accepts me with my current application? I would really appreciate all the advice i can get or any pointers! (i am also planning on applying for early action)

Ask yourself why these schools would remove the PCAT requirement? Why would they make it easier to get admitted? Could it be that they are desperate to fill seats because there is no more job opportunity in this profession?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy schools accept 85% of applicants. Why would you want to go into a career with no selectivity and a field that is losing jobs to boot?

Reactions: 4 users

Can you guarantee that your family's chain of pharmacies will even be around by the time you graduate?

Independent pharmacies are being steamrolled by the PBMs and large chain retail pharmacies right now. Amazon will likely deal the finishing blow.

there's never been a better time than now! APPLY NOW! is what you would like to hear haha

terrible investment of money and time.
Make sure you get that contact in writing from your family's "chain of pharmacies" before you enter pharmacy school.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't apply to pharmacy school. You will regret that decision. Aim for another medical profession if possible. If everyone here is advising you not to apply, then something is going on, don't you think?

No, don't take the PCAT. You don't need to! You have a good GPA, so your fine and you retook classes to improve so that helps. Plus, majority of schools don't require the PCAT. Despite the many negative thread responses on here, you should definitely pursue Pharmacy especially if your passionate about it. I'm pursuing Pharmacy planning to start this fall 2021. The job market will improve 3-5 years from now, with COVID it's just been a roller coaster. Pharmacy is so diverse, there is going to be a huge expansion of job opportunities in managed care, industry, government, state hospitals, and within the hospital (ER, acute care, critical care, cardiology, oncology) :)

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
No, don't take the PCAT. You don't need to! You have a good GPA, so your fine and you retook classes to improve so that helps. Plus, majority of schools don't require the PCAT. Despite the many negative thread responses on here, you should definitely pursue Pharmacy especially if your passionate about it. I'm pursuing Pharmacy planning to start this fall 2021. The job market will improve 3-5 years from now, with COVID it's just been a roller coaster. Pharmacy is so diverse, there is going to be a huge expansion of job opportunities in managed care, industry, government, state hospitals, and within the hospital (ER, acute care, critical care, cardiology, oncology) :)
Strong comment to like ratio. Didn't know you can have negative number in likes.

• Haha
  • Love
Wait, Wayne State and U of M no longer require a PCAT???? That alone says a lot about the state of pharmacy as a field.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
lol. Why do you think they removed PCAT requirement? They are willing to take ANYONE ANYTIME. Welcome to pharmacy world.

Reactions: 3 users
Think about this for a very a long time and weigh the pros and cons...Pharmacy ain't the same since the early 2000s