Don't want to become a horror story; school list help (unbalanced mcat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj_Sharp2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools such as UMass, SUNY Upstate, U Maryland accept few non residents with no connections to the state. All your other target and safety schools are reasonable choices. You could receive interviews at some of your dream schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you with certainty that your score unbalance will not be that big of a problem. First of all, great job on improving your MCAT. I also retook mine and still have an unbalanced score. CARS is hard. I get it. You get it. Med schools get it too. Your app is not just your MCAT score. You are a solid applicant even considering your unbalanced incredibly high MCAT score. I got accepted to Sinai with unbalanced CARS so I can attest to the fact that it will be alright. At this point, I recommend you to really focus on how to present yourself on paper for the admission process. There are far more things other than your CARS score that will determine your acceptance to your dream schools. You can be that <10% CARS guy to get accepted. Just like me. So, cheer up and fight on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with above regarding Umass, SUNY May be okay.

You’re not going to be one of those people if you can have a normal conversation and aren’t a sociopath/raging a-hole.

You shouldn’t have retaken that 512 and you are very lucky it was a significant improvement rather than a decline, which I say more for others who may read this thread. 3.8 with 508+ has an excellent shot and does not need any intervention in MCAT or GPA.

You’re on the right track, you’ll get interviews at several places and accepted somewhere. It’s going to be okay, take a breath and don’t let the anxiety consume you.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
I can tell you with certainty that your score unbalance will not be that big of a problem. First of all, great job on improving your MCAT. I also retook mine and still have an unbalanced score. CARS is hard. I get it. You get it. Med schools get it too. Your app is not just your MCAT score. You are a solid applicant even considering your unbalanced incredibly high MCAT score. I got accepted to Sinai with unbalanced CARS so I can attest to the fact that it will be alright. At this point, I recommend you to really focus on how to present yourself on paper for the admission process. There are far more things other than your CARS score that will determine your acceptance to your dream schools. You can be that <10% CARS guy to get accepted. Just like me. So, cheer up and fight on.
Thanks so much for this. Finally have some empirical evidence from someone who's been in similar shoes - much appreciated!

I agree with above regarding Umass, SUNY May be okay.

You’re not going to be one of those people if you can have a normal conversation and aren’t a sociopath/raging a-hole.

You shouldn’t have retaken that 512 and you are very lucky it was a significant improvement rather than a decline, which I say more for others who may read this thread. 3.8 with 508+ has an excellent shot and does not need any intervention in MCAT or GPA.

You’re on the right track, you’ll get interviews at several places and accepted somewhere. It’s going to be okay, take a breath and don’t let the anxiety consume you.

Good luck to you!
Sincerely appreciate the reassurance. Sometimes thinking about this process drags me down a rabbit-hole of anxiety and I thank you for your note.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely understand, I’ve been there myself and I know how it can make you think irrationally when so much is out of your own control.

If there’s anything I can help with let me know!