Dorming it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonigee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll...just curious to see what all students that will be dorming it the 1st year of dental school are bringing with them....i know there are some obvious things,but it might be nice to start a list...
george foreman grill
tv
phone

anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

fan, pots/pans, dishes, rug, bike, microwave oven, toaster, lamp. It's all about the dorms!!!!:clap:

sigh unfortunately, we SHOULD add an Iron(?) for all those "professional" occasions?

I am bringing a rice cooker too =)
a lap top case (w/o a lap top sigh hehe in hopes that magically a lap top will appear)
school supply so you don't have to spend a ton when you get to NY...
computer, printer, cell phone stereo
hmmmm that's all... I guess none of the above are necessary but would make life more easy =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good call on the rice cooker! It's too bad I don't have my mom to cook up something to go along with the rice. BUT, I did give her specific requests on sending cases of ramen to me every month...plus a little cash. ;)

oh oh i can use some of that cash... :p
ug this will be the FIRST time since I can remember that I won't have a small income coming in... =(

coffee mix definately.. we are gonna need them like every nite.. also the huge biochem. book(i bet it's about 50lbs) and notes we used in undergrad. it might come in handy.. i'm thinking about brining my snowboard.. are we allowed to hang up nething on the wall? wow~~ i see all of you guys are going to school in new york city... how nice! what else do we need in nyc?? sneakers.. can't live without them in nyc.

yay for new york =)

msdentist2b are you going to NYU or Columbia? =) just wondering...

We're going to make NY a better place (or at least friendlier right?)

Originally posted by StarGirl

We're going to make NY a better place (or at least friendlier right?)

hahaha, good luck w/that!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: :)

hey.. stargirl.. i'm gonna go to nyu.. you are absolutely rite about making nyc better (not safer but better).. since nyu and columbia are expecting so many smart , funny and friendly students this year :love: ( such as yourselves) .. iknow lots of nyu and columbia dental graduates practice together after the program. who knows? maybe it will be that case for us... stay cool,everyone!!! ohh.. what are guys gonna do about the dining business?

msdentist2b... I agree with all you are saying!!! We will surely make NYC a much better place! As for dining... I have a kitchenette, so i'll be using that more often than going out and eating fatty foods.

What about you?

Bucky

hey you guys,

i'm sure you'll make nyc a better place, i meant to say that there are lot of rude people here...thats all...

don't forget the roller blades! gotta blade in central park!!
(I finally got my SDN to work- had to alter my username a bit though- good to be back!)

wow everyone's going to NYU?! hehe...

we'll at least in about a month there will be a handful of "new yorker" that are nice and friendly and no where near rude right? =) that's a good start =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not from nyc, (I'm from upstate NY) but have been living here the past year...and its something I'm still trying to get used to...not everyone is rude, but it general, the atmosphere is not so friendly...hopefully (and I think so), the schools atmosphere is different, because people are from everywhere. I hope I meet some of you guys if I get into your schools for next year!!! :) :clap:

Suddenly, this thread is an NYC thread. Anybody know of any beaches in NY? I hear it's a long trip to the nearest beach. I don't get it, Chicago has a great beach right in the city and NY (right on the shoreline) only has Central Park for rollerblading?!?!

Dining:

For you NYU students, I hear that you don't want any part of the University dining options. The cafeterias are pretty far away. I think they told us to just cook. ("just cook"...hahaha...easier said than done)

Who wants to be my late night study buddy? I'm up for late night studying at the local diners....(Perkins anyone?):)

Hi guys..so this is pretty much a new yorker thread..how weird to think that we are gonna be new yorkers eh'? anyhow..i am arriving in NY on the 18th so I can delay the process as much as possible...during the orientation for NYU they said to bring some type of cart thing to lug our instruments around...i wonder how many we are getting...btw,when I was in NY earlier,everyone was pretty nice,not as rude as i expected..weird huh?

Hey,

I might have to switch banks since I hear that NY doesn't have Bank One. Besides Citibank and Chase Manhattan, anybody else know of other banks in the area?

I'd DEFINITELY go w/HSBC...they're everywhere....otherwise maybe Fleet.

i have the same problem Pi Guy...but i heard citi bank is the most abundant and the bank i am w/ currently was just bought by them and will be switching over next year...so i think i'll just be lazy and wait =)

star =)

I will probably switch to Citibank also. Good topic- never gave it much thought until now.

I just opened an account at Citibank. Here's the scoop. You can get around the monthly fees/minimum balance if you request a Household Link with your parents....only if one of your parents has an existing account with Citibank.

Or, they will waive the fees if you can prove that you are a student (just bring in your acceptance letter).

Star:

I have an idea. Since you might swing by Chicago on your way to NY, why not pick me up and swing over to Cincinnati and pick up Brianm74 as well? You'll have your car with 3 UHauls attached to it:laugh:

Thank God 26th street apartments are air conditioned. Can't wait to move in! Get me out of this E.Coli infested Lake Michigan..

Hi Pi_guy1,

Your question about beaches in the NYC Area...

There are two public beaches accessible by NYC Subway: Coney Island and the Rockaways. I don't really like these beaches though.

The nicer beaches are out on Long Island-- Figure a 30-40-minute drive. Jones Beach is a popular place (Take I-495 east to Garden City and get on Meadowbrook Parkway south to the end). Or even further east is Robert Moses Park on Fire Island.

I'm pretty sure you will hook up with lots of Long Islander friends during your course at NYUCD. My sister (class of '00, NYU College of Dentistry) had a blast and frequently had outings with her classmates at the east end of Long Island (the Hamptons). Yes, the farther east you go on LI, the better the beaches.

Central Park is a good place to rollerblade, but do it during the day and don't go there alone at night. For those of you who plan to live in the Upper West Side (the Seinfeld neighborhood), Riverside Park is a good place to rollerblade/jog too. Same safety advice applies. :D

Good luck, and welcome to NYC!

Tom Hong
Class of '04
University at Buffalo SDM
(Transplanted NYCer)

Good idea Pi Guy...
Star, my bags are packed! Pick me up!

Pi guy, i am on my way!
hmm brianm... we were thinking of cleveland, Oh... where's cinn?
I am on my way to finding Cinn...wait for me =P hehehe

Those of you interested in applying for an account with citibank, click on the smiley face and you will be pleasantly surprised!

:D

Star,
Cinn is south (5 hrs or so) of Cleveland. Just swing by Cinn before heading to Cleveland. I'll be ready.

Brain...can you meet at Cleveland instead? =) 5 hours is quite a drive =P especially added to the 50+ we already have to do :p

51 hours if you decide to drive in Chicago traffic (...and check out the Sear's Tower):p