This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, gang!

I'm new to the idea of osteopathic medicine and was curious about how one would go about obtaining an interventional radiology residency as a DO.

Would this change as a result of the 2020 merger? This is already a very tough residency to gain for MDs, will it be impossible after the merger? Is it possible currently for DOs?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

upload_2018-10-31_12-44-49.png

was curious about how one would go about obtaining an interventional radiology residency as a DO.

One wouldn't.

Reactions: 9 users
how one would go about obtaining an interventional radiology residency as a DO

You don't unless you have a close family member that is faculty at a program.

I mean the advice for any competitive field as a DO is pretty standard: ideally 250+/250+, high quality pubs in the field, away rotations that result in great LORs and connections, luck, and have a backup.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it is more possible to do:

Diagnostic Radiology residency followed by IR fellowship

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for the responses! Very helpful!

Hey, gang!

I'm new to the idea of osteopathic medicine and was curious about how one would go about obtaining an interventional radiology residency as a DO.

Would this change as a result of the 2020 merger? This is already a very tough residency to gain for MDs, will it be impossible after the merger? Is it possible currently for DOs?

Thanks! :)
I've known DOs that match IR. The only real way to match it is if you have stellar grades, good research, and most importantly, you convince someone during auditions. Perhaps research they might let slide, but stellar grades and auditions are a must or you will not match. I would still advocate that you have a solid backup.

Someone mentioned DR to IR. One other alternative to IR that is out there is neurointerventional radiology. You have to do a neurology residency, vascular fellowship then 2 years of NIR. This is a total of 7 years. If you're up for it, this is probably the most secure way for a DO to get to do IR related work.

Reactions: 1 user
I've known DOs that match IR. The only real way to match it is if you have stellar grades, good research, and most importantly, you convince someone during auditions. Perhaps research they might let slide, but stellar grades and auditions are a must or you will not match. I would still advocate that you have a solid backup.

Someone mentioned DR to IR. One other alternative to IR that is out there is neurointerventional radiology. You have to do a neurology residency, vascular fellowship then 2 years of NIR. This is a total of 7 years. If you're up for it, this is probably the most secure way for a DO to get to do IR related work.

Interestingly, 16 DOs applied to IR fellowships this year and 15 found a spot. The catch, however, is how long these fellowships will exist as fellowships instead of transitioning to the integrated model.

Reactions: 1 user