This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsdiamonds00

Reaction score
I'm going to make this as short as possible. Starting to have the unsure feeling in my gut of my future in medicine. 100% okay with DO schools at this point. Applying the 2019 cycle EARLY. Here is my resume:

GPA: cGPA: 3.55 - sGPA: 3.23 (=/) - MCAT: 505
Shadowing: 150 hours ER (DO & MD), 25 hours PM&R (DO doctor), & 25 hours OMM doctor at osteopathic school (DO)
Clinical Paid: ER Scribe (1,250 hours+), Ophthalmic Tech (100-200 hours)
Clinical Volunteering: ER Volunteer (100 hours)
Research: ER Clinical Research (50 hours)
Non-Clinical Paid: Sales Associate (150 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: Crisis hotline & financial advisor to the underserved (200 hours)
LOR: Strong LOR from 2 D.Os, 1 M.D., & professor

~Couple of things~
1) Really do not want to take SMP due to $$$ but will if needed, 2) Do I need more research for DO schools? 3) If I apply broadly to DO schools, do you think my chances are good? & 4) If NO to 3, then should I start considering other careers (dentistry, pharmacy, or back to school for engineering)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 next June and you should receive several interviews. You do not need more research for DO schools.

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 next June and you should receive several interviews. You do not need more research for DO schools.
In the meantime, what can I do in the coming months to better my applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to make this as short as possible. Starting to have the unsure feeling in my gut of my future in medicine. 100% okay with DO schools at this point. Applying the 2019 cycle EARLY. Here is my resume:

GPA: cGPA: 3.55 - sGPA: 3.23 (=/) - MCAT: 505
Shadowing: 150 hours ER (DO & MD), 25 hours PM&R (DO doctor), & 25 hours OMM doctor at osteopathic school (DO)
Clinical Paid: ER Scribe (1,250 hours+), Ophthalmic Tech (100-200 hours)
Clinical Volunteering: ER Volunteer (100 hours)
Research: ER Clinical Research (50 hours)
Non-Clinical Paid: Sales Associate (150 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: Crisis hotline & financial advisor to the underserved (200 hours)
LOR: Strong LOR from 2 D.Os, 1 M.D., & professor

~Couple of things~
1) Really do not want to take SMP due to $$$ but will if needed, 2) Do I need more research for DO schools? 3) If I apply broadly to DO schools, do you think my chances are good? & 4) If NO to 3, then should I start considering other careers (dentistry, pharmacy, or back to school for engineering)
You don't need research for Do schools. It's over rated as a requirement for MD as well.

With that sGPA, I can't recommend MD schools, except maybe your state school if you live in a lucky state.
Apply broadly to DO.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

You don't need research for Do schools. It's over rated as a requirement for MD as well.

With that sGPA, I can't recommend MD schools, except maybe your state school if you live in a lucky state.
Apply broadly to DO.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Thanks Goro! Assuming I dont lack the interviewing skills and my essays are solid, what areas of my application would give reason for an unsuccessful application? And also, should I be concerned and therefore start looking at a plan B pathway? I very much value your feedback as well as Faha!

Thanks Goro! Assuming I dont lack the interviewing skills and my essays are solid, what areas of my application would give reason for an unsuccessful application? And also, should I be concerned and therefore start looking at a plan B pathway? I very much value your feedback as well as Faha!
I don't see anything wrong with your app for DO schools. The sGPA is too low for MD.

You should always be looking at your Plan B until you have that accept email in your Inbox.