Downtime during application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwantiko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any insight regarding the application cycle.

Is there a period of 'downtime' where one could perhaps schedule time to travel?

Ie, a time when interviews are less likely/secondaries are over?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any insight regarding the application cycle.

Is there a period of 'downtime' where one could perhaps schedule time to travel?

Ie, a time when interviews are less likely/secondaries are over?

Thanks for your help!
How much time are we talking about?

Interviews should be starting up by late July and mostly running by Labor Day weekend through March when CYMS begins. Likely later through May for DO. (Please correct me.)

I suppose you can put in your travel in September through October and defer any interview invitations you get until later in the year. Of course, we do rolling admissions so any delay in interviews on your part reduces your chances to get an offer.

Treat the application process as if it were like a full-time job.

Reactions: 1 users
I will say definitively that you won't have interview invitations for any dates between December 23rd and January 2nd. If you want to travel, that time frame is what you've got to work with. The shorter timeframe would be the day before Thanksgiving through the following Monday. The other short period when interviews are unlikely to happen is the AAMC annual meeting which is in the second week of November but check Google for the exact dates the year you are applying. In 2022, it is Nov 11-15 in Nashville. That's not a long time but if you were scheduling a quick get-away, that's a good choice.

Unless you are planning on tons and tons of interviews, you should definitely be able to fit a week or 2 vacation into just about any slot during the academic year.

Reactions: 1 users