Downward trend... how bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I know... I'm always posting stuff about my GPA... but the last time I posted about my gpa, someone told me that my gpa was not high enough to offend people by posting my concerns about it... so here I go again....

Ok so my gpa goes like this by semesters...

1st: 3.78 (18 credits)
2nd: 4.0 (18 credits)
3rd: 3.60 (18 credits)
4th: 4.0 (15 credits)
5th: 3.4 (15 credits)
6th: 3.75 (12 credits)

total: 3.76 (science 3.77)

So basically there's a significant drop in my junior year gpa. (from 3.8 to 3.55) There's a number of reasons for this.

1) I took the MCAT this past April
2) I was up to my ears in ECs last Fall
3) I was taking REALLY hard math classes like Number Theory and calc III and Numberical Computing :):shudder:: )

Now comes that annoying question... so I was wondering if I still have a chance at a top 25 school... assuming I have good enough ECs and high enough MCATs.

Please give me some feed back... even if you just want to yell at me for the annoying post... :D

I'm sure there are other people with a downward trend in their gpa who want to know this too.

To those people in my situation... are you worried about it?

Members don't see this ad.

um, that's really not much of a downward trend. That said, don't go in to this application process only thinking of top 25. There are a 100 much more likely medical schools out there.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•um, that's really not much of a downward trend. That said, don't go in to this application process only thinking of top 25. There are a 100 much more likely medical schools out there.•••••Oh you have it all wrong.... I'm so not only thinking about top 25... if you read my "Chocolate Medical school" post you'd know that Penn State is now one of my top choices :D

However, it would be nice to eliminate some schools from my list if I knew that I had no chance at any top 25 schools... you know what I mean? It would save be some money.

P.S. I go to a no-name state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi Relatively Prime

In my opinion, you still have a chance at any top 25 school, but it won't help you. Meaning, if you want to go to those schools, you should either get super MCAT scores or some extracurricular activity that really makes you stand out. Otherwise, just apply to a broad range (the cost of applying should not be a factor), and let the chips fall where they may. :)

Best of luck to you!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by relatively prime:

I was taking REALLY hard math classes like Number Theory and calc III and Numberical Computing :):shudder:: )
•••••ugh...numerical computing. bad memories... :mad:

=)

Relatively_Prime,
Just wanted to say that you've got AWESOME grades. :) Impressive stuff.

Tweetie... thanks... but honestly it's nothing... I go to a sh-t state school... it's so easy to get good grades where I go. :)

Don't get discouraged about going to a "sh-t state school" I go to the University of Tennessee-Knoxville... perhaps the "sh-ttiest" of all public schools (academic wise). But.. I bet half of those in an admissions committee don't know a single thing about its reputation, besides teh fact that since its name is University of _insert state here_ its probably a public school. So what am I getting at? That even though your school is no-name, there are hundreds upon hundreds of similiar no-name schools that no one has ever heard of. So those solid grades do mean something, even if it isn't from an IVY cause there just isn't enough pre-meds from Harvard to fill every med school seat :wink: