DPM Students with High Admissions Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grant1357

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-medical student with a significant interest in podiatry. I have shadowed various physicians of many differing fields, but found podiatry the most interesting, by-far. Not at all to smear the profession, but I know many of the applicants of podiatric medical school typically do so because they couldn't get into MD/DO programs. I have the stats to get into some MD/DO programs (cGPA = 3.85; sGPA = 3.81; MCAT practice test scores have ranged typically between 507-511, take the actual test in a month), and many of my family members and friends want me to go this route, but I really want to pursue a career in podiatry.

My question for current podiatry students, whether they were in the same position as I am during the application process or not, do you stand by your choice of going to podiatric medical school after being there for some time now, and is it a profession you are thoroughly excited to be a part of?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a pre-medical student with a significant interest in podiatry. I have shadowed various physicians of many differing fields, but found podiatry the most interesting, by-far. Not at all to smear the profession, but I know many of the applicants of podiatric medical school typically do so because they couldn't get into MD/DO programs. I have the stats to get into some MD/DO programs (cGPA = 3.85; sGPA = 3.81; MCAT practice test scores have ranged typically between 507-511, take the actual test in a month), and many of my family members and friends want me to go this route, but I really want to pursue a career in podiatry.

My question for current podiatry students, whether they were in the same position as I am during the application process or not, do you stand by your choice of going to podiatric medical school after being there for some time now, and is it a profession you are thoroughly excited to be a part of?

Thank you
This may be a better question to ask the residents or attendings. I think it's probably difficult for anyone still in school to really say whether they are happy with their decision because they haven't really reached the result of that decision yet. I would just keep that in mind.

So from me, winding down the end of my 2nd year, I can at least say that I'm happy with what we've learned so far and I'm happy with the level of knowledge that we're expected to be at. I'm glad that they don't skimp on the general medical portion of the curriculum (which is most of the curriculum). I think it's been pretty well understood by the schools for a while now that they're teaching/training physicians that are specializing in the foot and ankle, and I think that they accomplish that.

The future should be good for podiatry as the scope of practice continues to expand and salaries continue to rise. Just don't put too much weight in any one person's opinion (other than your own). Some pods only make $100,000/year and some make $500,000/year, some pods don't do any surgery at all and some pods perform all the foot and ankle surgery at their hospital, some pods work 2 days a week and some pods work every day of the week, some pods work exclusively in retirement homes and some pods are team physicians for NBA or NFL teams, some pods might have to fight to get privileges at their local hospital and some pods are Chief of Surgery at their local hospital, et cetera. You should be aware that there's a lot of variability within the field, especially depending on which state you practice in. But also regardless of which state you practice in, you can be highly successful as a podiatrist—if that makes sense.

Of course since I'm still in school I can't yet say whether that last bit is worth all the schooling, but so far I'm happy.

Reactions: 6 users
It's been a while since I logged on to sdn but this post really reminded me of a situation that I was in a little over a year ago, so I had to reply.
My stats were pretty high, cgpa: 3.6 sgpa: 3.6 MCAT: 512
Granted my ECs were non existent but I did have the opportunity to get in to MD/DO programs and I chose this route instead.
Long story short, overall I've honestly enjoyed my experience thus far as a first podiatry student and I'm excited for what the future holds. However, it hasn't all been positive experience.

Feel free to PM me my friend. Let's have a discussion about it.

Reactions: 4 users