DPT Application Cycle 2019-2020 - 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Early Decision: No

Regular Decision: CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, Western University of Health Sciences, West Coast University, Azusa Pacific University, Chapman University (both cohorts), Loma Linda University, University of St. Augustine (Spring 2020), UNLV, and South College

#1 Choice: Undecided

Accepted: TBD

Interview granted: TBD

Waitlisted: TBD

Denied: TBD

Attending: TBD

Members don't see this ad.

I just got offered an interview at Creighton University in Omaha! Has anyone interviewed there or planning on it?? I would like to know what yall thought and what to expect. Thanks!

Regular Decision: High Point, Creighton, UNMC, MUSC, University of Florida

#1 choice: I'm waiting until I attend interviews to make an opinion

Accepted: High Point, Creighton
Interview granted: High Point, Creighton, UNMC (did not attend interview)
Waitlisted: MUSC
Denied: none

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got offered an interview at Creighton University in Omaha! Has anyone interviewed there or planning on it?? I would like to know what yall thought and what to expect. Thanks!

I'm interviewing with Creighton on November 1st!

Regular Decision: Pacific University / NAU / Puget Sound / UNLV / SDSU / CSULB / George Washington / UTSW / Regis / USC

#1 choice: Pacific University in Oregon
2nd choice: CSULB
3rd choice: Puget Sound
4th choice: SDSU

cGPA: 3.61
pGPA: 3.75
GRE: V 167 / Q 158 / A 4.0
Hours: 120 hours outpatient at 2 locations.

Accepted: CSULB (1/15/2020)
Interview granted: Pacific /UNLV / GW / Regis
Waitlisted
: (waiting)
Denied: NAU

Attending
: (waiting)

Last edited:
Regular Decision: CSUN, UCSF, West Coast University, USA - San Marcos (Fall residential), NAU, UPS, GFU

#1 choice: I have my top 3 in mind!

Accepted: USA - San Marcos [10/29]
Interview granted: USA - San Marcos [10/22], UCSF [1/11]
Waitlisted: UPS [1/30]
Denied: NAU (interview alternate), GFU, UCSF, CSUN

Good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Regular Decision: Texas Tech, UNM, RMU,NAU, AT STILL, University of St.Augustine, Belmont U, Regis

#1 choice: Texas Tech

Interview granted: Texas Tech, AT STILL, Belmont. The rest are pending
Denied: RMU(Math gre score was a few points lower than minimum requirements)

Attending:

Do you mind telling me your stats? They deferred me and I was really surprised based on their class profile.

Regular Decision: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Creighton, Belmont, and Sacred Heart

#1 choice: I really don’t know

Accepted: DMU 1/22
Interview granted: University of Iowa 11/15, Des Moines University 1/10, and Creighton (declined)
Waitlisted: University of Minnesota and Iowa, deferred at Belmont and DMU
Denied: Sacred Heart, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee emailed me and told me they filled their entire class with ED so they weren’t reviewing my application

Attending: Des Moines University!!

Last edited:
Do you mind telling me your stats? They deferred me and I was really surprised based on their class profile.
GPA:3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.8
GRE: 75th percentile Verbal reasoning, 35th percentile Quantitative reasoning, 4.0 Writing
Observation hours:150 outpatient, 40 inpatient, 20 pediatrics

Regular Decision: UCSF/SFSU, SDSU, Samuel Merritt, USA in San Marcos, West Coast, UOP, Western U, Chapman, Touro Nevada, A.T. Still

#1 choice: UCSF/SFSU

Interview granted: A.T. Still

Strongest point of my application is many diverse observational experiences 1000+ hours in inpatient acute hospital/SNF and outpatient geriatric ALF/ILF / neuro / orthopedic. I'm a tech at a SNF and float to an outpatient geriatric clinic. GRE is 157V/158Q/5.0

Weakest point is that cGPA, and pGPA are average with increased trend in last 60 units.

After lurking for a while I'm finally posting on SDN. Really hoping to have the wonderful opportunity to attend a DPT program in about a year from now. Still playing the waiting game at the moment. Good luck to everyone. :)

GPA:3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.8
GRE: 75th percentile Verbal reasoning, 35th percentile Quantitative reasoning, 4.0 Writing
Observation hours:150 outpatient, 40 inpatient, 20 pediatrics

Yeah this is quite surprising. My stats are all higher than this and they deferred me too. Would say it’s not all about the numbers but they explicitly state that they base their interview selection on GPA and GRE.

Yeah this is quite surprising. My stats are all higher than this and they deferred me too. Would say it’s not all about the numbers but they explicitly state that they base their interview selection on GPA and GRE.
I'm sorry :/ Are you a Tennessee resident by chance? On APTA it says that 65% of people they accept are out of state. Maybe that's why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Regular Decision: University of Iowa, Des Moines University, University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Creighton, Belmont, and Sacred Heart

#1 choice: I really don’t know

Accepted: None yet
Interview granted: None yet
Waitlisted: University of Minnesota, deferred at Belmont
Denied: Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee emailed me and told me they filled their entire class with ED so they weren’t reviewing my application

How were you denied at UW-Madison? The deadline is not until Nov.1st and they do not give decisions about acceptance until the week of December 16th?

Accepted: none yet
Interview granted: High Point, Creighton
Waitlisted: none

When is your interview at High Point?!

Hey guys i was interviewed at Thomas Jefferson on the 19th of September and i was waitlisted today. Is anybody else waitlisted as well?
I’m waiting to hear back from Thomas Jefferson still although I interviewed on 10/3. How long after your interview did they notify you of their decision? Was it in the morning, afternoon, or evening? I am so anxious rn.

I'm nervous because:
#1) I'm submitting all my applications so close to the deadlines.
#2) I'm not a skilled formal essay writer.
#3) My numbers are around average for accepted students to the programs I want.
#4) I'm 14 years post-bacc and come from an arts/comedy/media background.

Regular Decision: Pacific University / NAU / Puget Sound / UNLV / SDSU / CSULB / George Washington / UTSW / Wash Univ St. Louis / Regis / USC

4th choice: NAU

Accepted: (waiting)
Interview granted: (waiting)
Waitlisted: (waiting)
Denied: (waiting)

Attending: (waiting)
Don't be nervous! Your stats are great and your background gives you an interesting edge that other applicants may not have! Good Luck!

Accepted: none yet
Interview granted: High Point, Creighton
Waitlisted: none

How long did it take you to hear from high point?

I'm nervous because:
#1) I'm submitting all my applications so close to the deadlines.
#2) I'm not a skilled formal essay writer.
#3) My numbers are around average for accepted students to the programs I want.
#4) I'm 14 years post-bacc and come from an arts/comedy/media background.

Regular Decision: Pacific University / NAU / Puget Sound / UNLV / SDSU / CSULB / George Washington / UTSW / Wash Univ St. Louis / Regis / USC

4th choice: NAU

Accepted: (waiting)
Interview granted: (waiting)
Waitlisted: (waiting)
Denied: (waiting)

Attending: (waiting)

your stats looking pretty amazing. don't over think it and just send it in. personally, I think you have a very unique background which will make you standout to a lot of other applicants. I would recommend 3 things: 1) get some inpatient setting observation hours (the outpatient and inpatient environment are completely different), 2) don't wait until the regular decision deadline. I know there are a few programs that are rollin admission. the sooner you get in your application, the better. it's a numbers game. 3) with that said, I don't know how many times you've applied but don't give up! if you believe this is your vocation, try, try and try again. it took me a few years until I got in. Also, I HIGHLY recommend doing early decision. the application pool for certain programs are a lot smaller for early decision. therefore, increases your chances of getting in. once again, its a numbers game. I hope this helps! wishing you all the best.

I’m waiting to hear back from Thomas Jefferson still although I interviewed on 10/3. How long after your interview did they notify you of their decision? Was it in the morning, afternoon, or evening? I am so anxious rn.

They replied me back two weeks and one day after the interview. And it was in the evening if i am correct

Applied: WJU, Chatham, Marshall University, WVU, Bellarmine, OU, Scranton University, Mount St. Joseph

#1 Choice: Marshall University
Rejections:
Waitlist: TBA
Interviews: TBA
Acceptances:TBA

Hey guys! I'm wishing you all luck with this round of applications!

I wanted to ask if anyone has done the interview process at Duke before? I'm really curious about the group interview (or team learning) portion of the day!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I'm wishing you all luck with this round of applications!

I wanted to ask if anyone has done the interview process at Duke before? I'm really curious about the group interview (or team learning) portion of the day!

the team learning portion is just to demonstrate how the curriculum will be taught in the first year at Duke. during the demonstration, you'll be put into assigned groups with other candidates invited to the interview day. you'll first take a self assessment test (the test isn't serious. a lot of random fact questions). afterwards, you'll take the same assessment test with your team and together, you'll make one final answer as a group. hope this helps and best of luck

• Love
Regular Decision: MUSC, Belmont, Duke, Emory, Central Arkansas, Emory and Henry, Ohio University, Chatham University, University of Toledo

#1 choice: MUSC!

Accepted: tbd
Interview granted: Chatham, Emory and Henry, Emory, OU, Toledo,
Waitlisted: Belmont
Denied: tbd

Attending:tbd

Update!

Last edited:
the team learning portion is just to demonstrate how the curriculum will be taught in the first year at Duke. during the demonstration, you'll be put into assigned groups with other candidates invited to the interview day. you'll first take a self assessment test (the test isn't serious. a lot of random fact questions). afterwards, you'll take the same assessment test with your team and together, you'll make one final answer as a group. hope this helps and best of luck

Thank you!! I've had some really odd "group interviews" but this sounds a lot more applicable!!

Not a problem. Did you get an interview invitation from Duke?

Yep! It looks like you're already IN?! That is so exciting - congratulations!!!
If you have any additional tips, I'd love to hear about your experiences (feel free to message me, only if you like)

Otherwise, CONGRATS! Way to rock it! :)

Regular Decision: MUSC, Belmont, Duke, Emory, Central Arkansas, Emory and Henry, Ohio University, Chatham University, University of Toledo

#1 choice: MUSC!

Accepted: tbd
Interview granted: chatham
Waitlisted: Belmont
Denied: tbd

Attending:tbd

Congrats! I also got waitlisted at Belmont and applied to MUSC so you give me hope :)

How were you denied at UW-Madison? The deadline is not until Nov.1st and they do not give decisions about acceptance until the week of December 16th?

I missed the pre-req science GPA by 0.01 point. They emailed me and basically said they threw out my entire application due to that. It was really discouraging because if they had looked at my supplemental questions or read my essay, they would have seen that I had explained when I got the C that brought me below that threshold, I was suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness and was being “treated” with medications that made it worse. That was the only C I got in college and since my diagnosis, I haven’t gotten a grade below a B+. I don’t want to make excuses because I know I didn’t meet what they wanted, but it was kind of weird to me that they didn’t take into account any extenuating circumstances.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I missed the pre-req science GPA by 0.01 point. They emailed me and basically said they threw out my entire application due to that. It was really discouraging because if they had looked at my supplemental questions or read my essay, they would have seen that I had explained when I got the C that brought me below that threshold, I was suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness and was being “treated” with medications that made it worse. That was the only C I got in college and since my diagnosis, I haven’t gotten a grade below a B+. I don’t want to make excuses because I know I didn’t meet what they wanted, but it was kind of weird to me that they didn’t take into account any extenuating circumstances.
I am really sorry to hear that. Hopefully you prove them all wrong and get accepted into a great school soon!

Updated 12/2

Early Decision: Yes - Samuel Merritt
Regular Decision: Samuel Merritt, CSU Northridge, Wheeling University (formerly Wheeling Jesuit University), St. Augustine; George Washington, USC; Intended to apply- South College, Franklin Pierce (AZ and NH locations), Univ. of Delaware

#1 choice:

Interview granted: St. Augustine, Wheeling
Waitlisted: St. Augustine
Offered Admittance: Wheeling
Denied: ED for Smuel Merritt but I'm put in the regular pool

Does anyone have any info on Wheeling University? I know they declared financial exigency this past spring but beyond that, there's not much info (that I can find) on their long term plan to stay open.

Last edited:
Early Decision: Yes - Samuel Merritt
Regular Decision: Samuel Merritt, CSU Northridge, Wheeling University (formerly Wheeling Jesuit University), St. Augustine; Intended to apply- South College, Franklin Pierce (AZ and NH locations), Univ. of Delaware, George Washington

#1 choice:

Interview granted: St. Augustine, Wheeling
Waitlisted: no info
Denied: ED for Smuel Merritt but I'm put in the regular pool

Does anyone have any info on Wheeling University? I know they declared financial exigency this past spring but beyond that, there's not much info (that I can find) on their long term plan to stay open.
I believe the community raised the money and they are back on their feet. I do not think they would be offering admission if the latter was the case. Although I do not know for sure. I just have heard things being that I play them in volleyball.

I believe the community raised the money and they are back on their feet. I do not think they would be offering admission if the latter was the case. Although I do not know for sure. I just have heard things being that I play them in volleyball.
thanks! I'm debating if that should be an apprpriate question I ask them when I go their for my interview and if I'm given the chance to ask them anything.

Regular Decision: University of St. Augustine

#1 choice: US of A

Regular Decision: ATSU, MWU-glendale, Duke, WCU, MUSC, UW-Madison

#1 Choice: would attend all

Interview Granted: ATSU, WCU
Waitlisted: MWU

UPDATE

Applied: WJU, Chatham, Marshall University, WVU, Bellarmine, OU, Scranton University, Mount St. Joseph

#1 Choice: Marshall University
Rejections:
Waitlist: TBA
Interviews: TBA
Acceptances:TBA

Just received 2 interviews! Chatham University 11/2 & WJU 11/22

Regular Decision: University of St. Augustine

#1 choice: US of A

Which campus and cohort are you applying for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Decision: NYU, NYIT, Stony, Hunter, Downstate, Nazareth College of Rochester, University of Scranton, Mercy, LIU, Dominican, Touro, NYMC, Daemen, Messiah, Franklin Pierce

#1 choice: Stony Brook or Downstate

Accepted: Touro (Bayshore), Franklin Pierce
Interview granted: Dominican, NYU, NYMC, Stony, Messiah (Declined)
Waitlisted: TBA
Denied: LIU, NYIT

Attending: TBA

Last edited:
Regular Decision: NYU, NYIT, Stony, Hunter, Downstate, Nazareth College of Rochester, University of Scranton, Mercy, LIU, Dominican, Touro, NYMC, Daemen, Messiah, (thinking about applying to Franklin Pierce too)

Accepted: TBA
Interview granted: Dominican 12/10
Denied: probably LIU (emailed me during their preliminary screening that my science and math GPA was too low)

Hey! I applied to Nazareth too! Do you know anything about the school/area? I'm from NJ and go to school in PA, so I won't be able to drive up there to visit the campus.

Hey! I applied to Nazareth too! Do you know anything about the school/area? I'm from NJ and go to school in PA, so I won't be able to drive up there to visit the campus.
Hey! Sorry, I wish I did. I'm applying to as many schools as I could since my stats are on the lower end :/

Hey I'm actually from the town that Naz is in! It's a really nice area, living is very affordable. I think the only downside is that it gets very cold and snowy in the winter, although the towns in that area handle the snow very well. If you have any specific questions about the area feel free to message me!

Regular Decision: NYU, NYIT, Stony, Hunter, Downstate, Nazareth College of Rochester, University of Scranton, Mercy, LIU, Dominican, Touro, NYMC, Daemen, Messiah, (thinking about applying to Franklin Pierce too)

Accepted: TBA
Interview granted: Dominican 12/10
Denied: probably LIU (emailed me during their preliminary screening that my science and math GPA was too low)

Ahh, a fellow New Yorker. I'm applying to all of those schools too. Any reason why Hunter isn't your number 1 choice? I believe the tuition is 50% less compared to other schools. I have an interview at Dominican on November 8th. Good luck. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hey I'm actually from the town that Naz is in! It's a really nice area, living is very affordable. I think the only downside is that it gets very cold and snowy in the winter, although the towns in that area handle the snow very well. If you have any specific questions about the area feel free to message me!
Thank you so much! I don’t mind snow that much, and figured since it does snow so much, they’d be adequately prepared to handle it lol. If I can think of anything specific I’ll let you know!

Ahh, a fellow New Yorker. I'm applying to all of those schools too. Any reason why Hunter isn't your number 1 choice? I believe the tuition is 50% less compared to other schools. I have an interview at Dominican on November 8th. Good luck. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I applied to Hunter last cycle and got rejected, so I don't want to get my hopes up if I don't get in this time around again. And that's awesome, good luck on your Dominican interview! Let me know how it goes :) Did you hear back from any other NY schools regarding interview dates?

cGPA: 3.34
pGPA: 3.0-3.2 depending on the school
GRE: V 150 / Q 153 / A 5.5
Around 900 outpatient hours in 3 locations, and 82 inpatient hours.