DPT vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean2929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from UC Berkeley with a double major in Integrative and Biology and Psychology with a 3.97 GPA, with all my prerequisites complete besides biochemistry. I am an older student (26). I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I wasn’t sure if I should. If I did start med school I would not be able to apply until fall ’08 school year. I volunteer at a crisis line, was involved in a student health promotion program, and volunteered at a hospital, but I feel like I might not have enough clinical experience to highlight in my personal statement. I was a foster child, so I had to take many remedial classes and work as well. Therefore, I feel like my eight years of undergraduate work could be seen as a big weakness.

I thought it might be an uphill battle, so I am considering doing something with decent pay (avg. $60,000) and a high probability of being acceptance, hence the DPT (doctorate in physical therapy) program (considering Duke, possibly USC as well). However, I have worked long and hard, and feel I might regret not going into medicine. I hear stories again and again about MD’s who are overworked, but I don’t really know many MD’s to reference this to. Is it possible to enjoy a balanced life as an MD? Given my background and goals of balance, should I pursue the DPT or MD? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you're as "downhill" as you think you are. You'd probably want to take the MCAT soon, while things are still fresh from undergrad. Depending on your confidence and the time you have to study, there are dates as early as January. That would leave you plenty of time to collect letters of rec, write a draft of your PS, get some more clinical experience etc. Yes, it took you longer than average to graduate, and you might have to explain that in some interviews, but you have a great story. The average foster kid does not graduate from Berkeley with a 3.97. There's been much discussion regarding work load, try searching the forums.

Anything's possible. With a good MCAT I think you have an awesome shot at med school, if that's what you really want to do.

GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help!

PS I meant "Accepted not acceptance" thanks =) )

I have nothing to add except that I doubt that anyone will fault you for graduating late and your story will make you stand out, so no worries as long as you rock the MCATs. Good luck.

26 really is a couple years over the average age of matriculation, but only a couple so it's not worth considering yourself old. Given a somewhat unusual college experience, admissions will be particularly interested in your MCAT, but a 3.97 from Berkeley is pretty impressive even if it took a while.

As far as choosing your career, you have to decide what you want out of it. If you're most interested in having a stable, rewarding job with reasonable pay, a DPT might be a very good option for you. On the other hand, there are a wide range of interests that will be better served by an MD. For one, you gotta scrub in on some surgeries: Awesome! And gain a much better understanding of how the body works (and fails) which I think is pretty damn cool.

sean2929 said:
Therefore, I feel like my eight years of undergraduate work could be seen as a big weakness.
I don't think they'll care. I took 7 years (including some time off) to get my undergrad degrees. If anything, I think it comes off in a positive light because it shows that you kept at it and didn't give up. I really don't see it being held against you.

As for your clinical experience, you should try to spend some time shadowing a doctor. That will give you something to talk about in your interviews and fill that gap in your application (and possibly get you a letter).

As for lifestyle, some fields of medicine require more hours than others. Try browsing around in the residency forums for a better idea about that. Residency is going to mean long hours for any specialty, but that will be over after a few years. Surgical specialties are known for having longer hours, although it is theoretically possible to work less hours if you find yourself in the right practice environment after residency. I suggest you shadow a couple of doctors and a physical therapist and just see which you like better. Good luck.

You sound a lot like I did a couple of years ago before I decided to go for the MD. But I did give the DPT degree some serious thought. I must also state that I'm a little biased because I'm going for the MD degree this coming year. But you really do have to think about how committed you are. With the MD degree you will have a tougher time gaining admission (although I'm sure you'd have no problem with a 3.97) because you have more competition and you have to take the MCAT as opposed to the GRE.
What really convinced me was that if I got a MD, you could specialize in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation if you choose. You also get a lot more exposure to other fields which might change you might about spending your life doing rehabilitation work. If you get an MD, you could do similar work to that of PTs if you specialize in PM&R except that the pay is higher and you'll probably be in charge of a staff of physical therapists.

Just something to think about. You don't have to give up physical medicine with the MD. But the commitment to your profession is much greater.