Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it is worth it to take the Dr. Collins course. I'm in South Florida, so I could take the course in person or just buy the materials. Should I Dr. Collins, or just do Kaplan and study class notes?

I don't know how good the actual course is but I would just recommend getting the study package he offers with some supplementary guides (i.e. Kaplan and Cliffs). I think Dr. Collins is the best way to prep for this thing but the course may be too pricey and you might even learn more by doing it on your own, although this depends on your self-motivation and dedication.

The course is about 200 dollars more than the study materials. You attend over the course of 4 weekends, 6 hours each session. I've never taken a prep course for a standardized test. Have any of you found Dr. Collins to be beneficial?

Dr. Collins PCAT prep is the best on the market. I purchased the self study guide, studied it (and "it" only) for 2 weeks, and got an 82 composite. 82 is not great, but pretty darn good for only studying 2 weeks prior to the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of forums about the doctor collins material and its course. According to me, it helped me a lot. I had a 26 pcat score for my first attempt, then I used collin's study guide for about 2 weeks over the christmas holidays and I improved my score to 73 (got a very low score on my reading since English is not my First language) I used Kaplan and class text books for my first attempt. Also, I did not study well for that test. I think I was very determined for my second test, even though it was only a few weeks. HOnestly, collins study guide was short and had only the necessary materials needed for the test. Thats why I like it. Based on other forums in the sdn, Collins course is very helpful since they teaches special tactics and strategies to take test. (like how to do math prob fast and so) good luck..!

$200 more and you get 6 weekends of classes? Might as well...

I found that studying on my own was so much better than the Kaplan course I took ($1300) but if it's only $200 more, I'd take it.

I wouldn't recommend anything else for the PCAT! Dr. Collins is the best!

Pm me is you have anymore questions!

Hello,
I have read gr8 reviews about Dr Collins and I am thinking of purchasing it to study for the PCAT!! But I usually read the it "improves" scores...is it a good study guide for someone that has never taken the PCAT before?

What sections does it really help with? I graduated 2 years ago and I can't remember much from my undergraduate sciences courses...also did not take orgo2, and anatomy classes...

Is it close to the kind of questions in the PCAT?

Any other review courses you might suggest for studying the PCAT from scratch?? Thank you!

Please reply ASAP!!!

Based on previous posts, Dr Collins study guide seems like the way go.

Hello,
I have read gr8 reviews about Dr Collins and I am thinking of purchasing it to study for the PCAT!! But I usually read the it "improves" scores...is it a good study guide for someone that has never taken the PCAT before?

What sections does it really help with? I graduated 2 years ago and I can't remember much from my undergraduate sciences courses...also did not take orgo2, and anatomy classes...

Is it close to the kind of questions in the PCAT?

Any other review courses you might suggest for studying the PCAT from scratch?? Thank you!

Please reply ASAP!!!

Thank you the reply!!! I would like to know if it's a good starter for someone that has NEVER taken the PCAT...

depends on how well you know your material. Dr. collins review is just that, a review. he goes very briefly in each topic. but does provide ALOT of practice problems.

There are a lot of forums about the doctor collins material and its course. According to me, it helped me a lot. I had a 26 pcat score for my first attempt, then I used collin's study guide for about 2 weeks over the christmas holidays and I improved my score to 73 (got a very low score on my reading since English is not my First language) I used Kaplan and class text books for my first attempt. Also, I did not study well for that test. I think I was very determined for my second test, even though it was only a few weeks. HOnestly, collins study guide was short and had only the necessary materials needed for the test. Thats why I like it. Based on other forums in the sdn, Collins course is very helpful since they teaches special tactics and strategies to take test. (like how to do math prob fast and so) good luck..!

Hey, I took the Pcat the first time and got 56 (mainly because my RC and V were 36 and 29, respectively) using Kaplan, REA flashcards, cliffnotes, barrons, and McGraw. I purchased Dr. Collins a few months ago.

Right now, I've read through the review sections for Dr. collins bio and chem 2 times and math once. Kaplans bio and chem 2 times. And i've done a few of Dr. Collins practice test.

I need advice on how many people studied just Dr. Collins and improved your score so drastically. I'm planning on taking Aug PCAT and only study 3 hrs a day.

Thanks
Trunks9807

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you still have Dr. Collins Pcat materials and the other materials I will buy it from it. I need to get ready for my Pcat test This August. My email address is [email protected]. Thanx.

Do you still have your materials, and are you thinking about selling it, cause I will buy it from you.

I don't like this business, paying money just to pump up your score for a test. People who worked diligently on their own and did not pay for this squandrous amount will get lagged behind. :scared:

It seems to me "education" is not what it used be. The amount of effort you put in does not equal to your result, but rather it's the capital that you put in that matters. Collins prep course to PCAT is as steroids to sporting event.

I don't like this business, paying money just to pump up your score for a test. People who worked diligently on their own and did not pay for this squandrous amount will get lagged behind. :scared:

It seems to me "education" is not what it used be. The amount of effort you put in does not equal to your result, but rather it's the capital that you put in that matters. Collins prep course to PCAT is as steroids to sporting event.

I think many of the people that score the best on the PCAT do not spend much money on these things. Personally I think it's a waste of money to spend that much on (additional) prep materials/classes. When I took the PCAT is spent about $40 on the Kaplan prep book - and didn't even use it that much. I felt like I didn't need very much extra study for the PCAT because I already knew the material covered on it.

For most people old class notes and/or textbooks should be more than sufficient for review material - they just need to take the time to research what type of material is on the PCAT so they know what to study.

I think many of the people that score the best on the PCAT do not spend much money on these things. Personally I think it's a waste of money to spend that much on (additional) prep materials/classes. When I took the PCAT is spent about $40 on the Kaplan prep book - and didn't even use it that much. I felt like I didn't need very much extra study for the PCAT because I already knew the material covered on it.

For most people old class notes and/or textbooks should be more than sufficient for review material - they just need to take the time to research what type of material is on the PCAT so they know what to study.

While your post makes a valid point, this is not the case for most people. I am the type of person who over-prepares so that I leave myself little room for error. That doesn't mean that I don't know the info, it's just the way I study. :cool:

While your post makes a valid point, this is not the case for most people. I am the type of person who over-prepares so that I leave myself little room for error. That doesn't mean that I don't know the info, it's just the way I study. :cool:

:yawn: You are not most people...

Do you seriously think you can "cram" for a test that covers as many different topics as the PCAT???

If you notice even on this board, where there seems to be a disproportionate number of people that obsess over grades and trying to memorize every possible detail they can... you will notice that most of the people who tell stories about using Dr. Collins and paying for all kinds of prep courses for the PCAT either had to take the PCAT multiple times, or they haven't even taken it yet.

If you really feel the need - use the search function and figure out a rough approximation of how much the studying (specifically) for the PCAT was done by those people who took the PCAT only once and were accepted somewhere the first time they applied... Or try asking some people you know that have taken it.

Collins prep course to PCAT is as steroids to sporting event.

Hmmmmmm ... I didn't realize that test prep materials were illegal. I must have missed reading that in my PCAT guide ...

I used the test prep materials; I scored at the 99th percentile using Dr. Collins. However, I think that I would have done reasonably well without using his study guide. I think that his study guide can help those in need of narrowing down the material to focus their study habits.

:yawn: You are not most people...

Do you seriously think you can "cram" for a test that covers as many different topics as the PCAT???

If you notice even on this board, where there seems to be a disproportionate number of people that obsess over grades and trying to memorize every possible detail they can... you will notice that most of the people who tell stories about using Dr. Collins and paying for all kinds of prep courses for the PCAT either had to take the PCAT multiple times, or they haven't even taken it yet.

If you really feel the need - use the search function and figure out a rough approximation of how much the studying (specifically) for the PCAT was done by those people who took the PCAT only once and were accepted somewhere the first time they applied... Or try asking some people you know that have taken it.

How do you know that I haven't taken the PCAT???? You make many assumptions... You know what they say about people who make assumptions...:cool:

Now back to my point.. I never once said that someone can cram for the PCAT. I simply said that different people study differently. Some people need the extra materials to feel more prepared. Maybe they don't remember things that they took 3-5 yrs ago. Dr. Collins is an excellent test prep. Take it for what it is. It is a "test prep." It is not designed to teach you everything that you were supposed to learn throughout a tough undergrad, but it certainly does help in narrowing the topics down. If someone has money to spend, then I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

Hmmmmmm ... I didn't realize that test prep materials were illegal. I must have missed reading that in my PCAT guide ...

I used the test prep materials; I scored at the 99th percentile using Dr. Collins. However, I think that I would have done reasonably well without using his study guide. I think that his study guide can help those in need of narrowing down the material to focus their study habits.

:thumbup:

That implies that you disagree with my statement that most of the people who score the highest on the PCAT do not spend a lot of time studying (specifically) for the PCAT.

How do you know that I haven't taken the PCAT???? You make many assumptions... You know what they say about people who make assumptions...:cool:

Now back to my point.. I never once said that someone can cram for the PCAT. I simply said that different people study differently. Some people need the extra materials to feel more prepared. Maybe they don't remember things that they took 3-5 yrs ago. Dr. Collins is an excellent test prep. Take it for what it is. It is a "test prep." It is not designed to teach you everything that you were supposed to learn throughout a tough undergrad, but it certainly does help in narrowing the topics down. If someone has money to spend, then I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

I never stated that I believed you had or had not taken the PCAT.

You stated that you "over prepared" for the PCAT... That implies studying quite a bit - specifically for the PCAT.

Most people that take the PCAT are taking it the summer between their junior and senior years of college so - less than 3 years since they finished any college coursework.

I agree, Dr. Collins, Kaplan, and all the other various things are not meant to teach, they are meant for review.

My personal opinion is that you can get plenty of information about what to expect on the PCAT and perfectly good study(review) material for the things topic you need to go over without spending hundreds (or in some cases thousands) of dollars. Many of the people (on this forum) look to Dr. Collins or other test prep material as a shortcut. Others simply would rather pay (large sums) of money than spend the time doing the research that it takes to find out what topics are covered and then finding appropriate study material for those topics.

That implies that you disagree with my statement that most of the people who score the highest on the PCAT do not spend a lot of time studying (specifically) for the PCAT.

You stated that you "over prepared" for the PCAT... That implies studying quite a bit - specifically for the PCAT.

Ehhh.. Man.. You are sure good at making ASSUMPTIONS...:cool:
I never once came up to you and said, "hey bro, I studied extensively for the PCAT, I over-prepared and everything for the PCAT" Just because thats how I normally study, one shouldn't ASSUME that is how I studied for the PCAT... Its the assumptions man... Give it up... Stick to what you know.. FACTS... :cool:

BUT..... It is nice that we have came to a common understanding about how preps are simply preps.. They aren't made to teach someone everything, but instead refresh their memories and narrow their studying..

Ehhh.. Man.. You are sure good at making ASSUMPTIONS...:cool:
I never once came up to you and said, "hey bro, I studied extensively for the PCAT, I over-prepared and everything for the PCAT" Just because thats how I normally study, one shouldn't ASSUME that is how I studied for the PCAT... Its the assumptions man... Give it up... Stick to what you know.. FACTS... :cool:

BUT..... It is nice that we have came to a common understanding about how preps are simply preps.. They aren't made to teach someone everything, but instead refresh their memories and narrow their studying..

If that is not what you meant with that statement, then I stand corrected, but it definitely came across that way. Sure sounded like a "I disagree because in my case..."

I still stand by my original assertion that most of the people who score the highest on the PCAT do not spend a lot of time studying specifically for it.

When it comes to test prep/review guides, the problem is that many people expect these guides to teach them...

If that is not what you meant with that statement, then I stand corrected, but it definitely came across that way. Sure sounded like a "I disagree because in my case..."

I still stand by my original assertion that most of the people who score the highest on the PCAT do not spend a lot of time studying specifically for it.

When it comes to test prep/review guides, the problem is that many people expect these guides to teach them...

No Problem bro.
Its all good on my end. A lil battle of intellectuals never hurt anyone. You seem as a very intelligent and opinionated person. The field of pharmacy need more people like you. I enjoyed our little splee... I'm going to become more active on this forum.. I have grown to like it. :cool:

The arguments are fun and all, but for my 2 cents, Dr Collins has been a huge help. I graduated in '04 and so the coursework is not fresh in my brain. If I simply went back and reviewed everything from 4 semesters of chemistry on top of a full time job and an A&P class until 10:30 twice a week, I would be on one subject for months.

I don't see why it's wrong to focus specifically on the material that's on the test.

people keep mentioning in this thread that everything didn't help and that their first test was horrible, and then after dr collins it improved drastically.

can anyone who actually purchased this and improved tell me the differences?

I used Kaplan, Barrons, CliffsTestPrep, MCAT Biology ExamKracker, and thepcat.com

If its just extra questions...I have have a huge bank of them, I'm just wondering if the quality of questions from Dr Collins are more closely related to the real PCAT in comparison to the other supplemental test preps I used

I wouldn't recommend anything else for the PCAT! Dr. Collins is the best!

Pm me is you have anymore questions!

Were questions on the pcat very similar to Dr. Collin's?? I have his notes and they go over everything brifely, so I just don't understand how ppl make high scores utilizing his notes. u basically can finish those in a week and just study for PCAT for one week.

The arguments are fun and all, but for my 2 cents, Dr Collins has been a huge help. I graduated in '04 and so the coursework is not fresh in my brain. If I simply went back and reviewed everything from 4 semesters of chemistry on top of a full time job and an A&P class until 10:30 twice a week, I would be on one subject for months.

I don't see why it's wrong to focus specifically on the material that's on the test.

Never really said it was, just that there is too much material on the PCAT to really just memorize what's going to be on it.

Also that the information of what topics and what types of problems are on the PCAT, and sample problems of those types can usually be found for much less than the hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars that many people are spending.

Hi, how helpful is Dr. Collin's bio packet?? Should I also use my bio and anatomy textbook to study for this section? or would I be all set if I just memorize and understand Dr. Collin's bio review packet and do his practice tests??

For those who purchased Dr. Collin's prep materials, how long did it take for you to get the order?

Im selling the PCAT collin's study guide I bought it last October and selling it for $150 or best offer.
Please PM me if interested.

I got 80 percentile and got accepted to the school i wanted to go.
I personally think verbal section helped me the most cause i saw a bunch of same questions at the actual test!!!!

I will go ahead and join the people who praise Dr.Collins materials. They are extremely helpful. I started studying 2.5 weeks before PCATs, after not having had chemistry or calculus for a couple of years, and I got a 94 composite. It's a lot of money but in my case it was worth it - I applied to pharmacy schools in January, the scores only came in beginning of March, and I eventually got accepted into all the pharmacy schools where I interviewed, so I think my PCAT score saved me. The 2.5 weeks I spent studying were not easy by any means, I would study for 10-12 hours a day because I had forgotten so much of the material, but Dr.Collins makes it easier because it is basically a condensed study guide (hopefully you paid attention in class!) + a LOT of practice tests with questions similar to the PCATs. Having a lot of timed practice with similarly phrased questions is just as important as understanding the material, IMO.
The only bad thing is spending so much money and not knowing what to do with the materials afterwards :( But I would say the money you spend on Collins is small in the big picture when you count up all the PharmCas fees + secondary applications + TRAVEL for interviews.

@ OKI
I would like to buy your PCAT material if you are still interested in selling. Let me know. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I heard a lot of good things about Dr Collins. I REALLY want to try this study guide. Currently I am using Kaplan, which is basically the same as DAT/MCAT study guide (science sections), and Barron's Practice Tests. For my situation, I feel that I took GChem and OChem almost 2 yrs ago and right now I need to refresh my memory because my Gchem is rusty.

I really want to buy Dr Collins but I simply can't afford it. Not even the used ones being sold in the forums ($100) I just cannot afford it (I just paid for my PCAT registration too) Can anyone give me an advice/suggestion on what should I do? Thanks

Hi guys,

I heard a lot of good things about Dr Collins. I REALLY want to try this study guide. Currently I am using Kaplan, which is basically the same as DAT/MCAT study guide (science sections), and Barron's Practice Tests. For my situation, I feel that I took GChem and OChem almost 2 yrs ago and right now I need to refresh my memory because my Gchem is rusty.

I really want to buy Dr Collins but I simply can't afford it. Not even the used ones being sold in the forums ($100) I just cannot afford it (I just paid for my PCAT registration too) Can anyone give me an advice/suggestion on what should I do? Thanks
Can you afford the Pearson Practice Tests? 1 is for 40.00 and the 3 is for 80.00. 1 is enough though. The pearson practice tests are almost identical to the Collins and probably more accurate as well. If you can solve every type of problem on the PCAT pearson tests I think you won't have any problems with the real thing. The practice test I did yesterday (the first one, oldest one from 2008) was very similar to what I have heard is on the test, even recent tests, incl the drug questions in the bio from ppl's comments about the June test. I really think it's the best comprehensive source.

Just make sure you can do every problem on there in the time allotted and I'd say you'd be in good shape for the real deal.

After taking the June PCAT, I feel that Dr. Collins' isn't as comprehensive as previous PCAT tests. This is probably because the biology and chem sections have changed somewhat. There were new drug questions in the biology section and the chem section had more organic chemistry. Dr. Collins' chem section covered a good deal of general chem but not too much of ochem. I dare to say that it's a good source of review for the PCAT, but sadly it's not the best anymore.

I'd say the Pearson's Practice Exams are the most comprehensive practice exams as far as the current versions of the PCAT.

After taking the June PCAT, I feel that Dr. Collins' isn't as comprehensive as previous PCAT tests. This is probably because the biology and chem sections have changed somewhat. There were new drug questions in the biology section and the chem section had more organic chemistry. Dr. Collins' chem section covered a good deal of general chem but not too much of ochem. I dare to say that it's a good source of review for the PCAT, but sadly it's not the best anymore.

I'd say the Pearson's Practice Exams are the most comprehensive practice exams as far as the current versions of the PCAT.
Hey UFKOIVY thanks for your feedback! I too am rusty on the general chem and when I saw those Collins questions I stopped reviewing ochem just to focus on general chem. But your comments make me think I should probably go back too and focus on that more. Would you say there are more reactions this time around on the PCAT? i.e. They give you the reactant and reagent and you give the product, that type of thing?

Last edited:
Hey UKofIvy thanks for your feedback! I too am rusty on the general chem and when I saw those Collins questions I stopped reviewing ochem just to focus on general chem. But your comments make me think I should probably go back too and focus on that more. Would you say there are more reactions this time around on the PCAT? i.e. They give you the reactant and reagent and you give the product, that type of thing?

If you look at Collins' practice exams in chemistry section, the very first six practice exams have a lot of gen chem and very little ochem. I believe these were what the older exams were like. However, the later ones start to have more of ochem questions.

That said, you should definitely review your ochem. At first I thought ochem questions of being nomenclature and simple alkene reactions, but the June PCAT kind of surprised me. I felt that some of the questions started to creep into ochem II with aldehyde/ketones and acid derivatives reactions. I was to the point of skipping gen chem calculating questions and wanted to get those ochem questions out of the way.

To answer your question: There were a lot of nice pictures which was nice for my sore eyes.

If you look at Collins' practice exams in chemistry section, the very first six practice exams have a lot of gen chem and very little ochem. I believe these were what the older exams were like. However, the later ones start to have more of ochem questions.

That said, you should definitely review your ochem. At first I thought ochem questions of being nomenclature and simple alkene reactions, but the June PCAT kind of surprised me. I felt that some of the questions started to creep into ochem II with aldehyde/ketones and acid derivatives reactions. I was to the point of skipping gen chem calculating questions and wanted to get those ochem questions out of the way.

To answer your question: There were a lot of nice pictures which was nice for my sore eyes.
aww I'm sorry about that! I hope you did very well :) To tell you the truth, I just did OChem I and II in the past 6 months so I prefer o-chem questions any day. I think they're easier to answer since you should just be able to look at it and know the answer. I'm using McGraw Hill to review Chemistry; I just use Collins for the practice questions. MG-H has about 20 pages of reactions, from basic alkene reactions to amides to amines to benzene reactions, etc.

Everyone said that was overkill and so I was just going to skimp over it, but now I'll definitely make sure to memorize all of them. This was a great heads up, thank you, I really appreciate it! And I realized I misspelled your username and I went back and fixed it, lol I'm sorry about that. Thanks again!

Can you afford the Pearson Practice Tests? 1 is for 40.00 and the 3 is for 80.00. 1 is enough though. The pearson practice tests are almost identical to the Collins and probably more accurate as well. If you can solve every type of problem on the PCAT pearson tests I think you won't have any problems with the real thing. The practice test I did yesterday (the first one, oldest one from 2008) was very similar to what I have heard is on the test, even recent tests, incl the drug questions in the bio from ppl's comments about the June test. I really think it's the best comprehensive source.

Just make sure you can do every problem on there in the time allotted and I'd say you'd be in good shape for the real deal.

Ok, so if I do have the money, do you recommending getting the 3 Pearson Tests or Dr. Collins? Also, do the Pearson tests have solutions/explanations?

first post here :)

i'm contemplating whether or not i should purchase a dr. collins study guide from someone because it's cheaper but it doesn't have the most recent update (jan 2010).
any suggestions on whether or not it's worth it?

would i be missing out on important material that's found in the updates or is it mostly repeat/similar questions?

thanks~ :)