Dr. Thomas Quote #458

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BklynWill

EM Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"We are strengthening those [AOA residency] programs. Your perception, the students perception of what quality is, remains to be seen. Who can define what the quality of a program is if it's based on what another student tells you? We have, we step to the plate in terms of what our CAP program is doing in our residency programs. Now, granted we dont have programs that are in the ultra-specialties- okay 50% of you-- where's your road-block? I, you know, why would we need a combined match when we have very adequate, in fact, more than adequate excellent programs right here in Pennsylvania? Why would you need a combined match here?"
-Dr. Thomas, 4/12/04

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

His replacement is just as bad. Extremely defensive, terrible speaker, terrible communicator.

My favorite was when Thomas point-blank told us that the SOMA "Better Netter" offer was done to create direct competition with AMSA, and later denied saying it and claimed it was "the best thing for the students."

He didn't know that AMSA wasn't a branch of the AMA.

He didn't understand that we have a combined match system in place in Texas to get into medical school--he told us that what we had was a "application service" and insisted he was right until one of the administrators set him straight. He didn't want to believe that this system has caused TCOM's applicant base to get stronger every year, so that our numbers are now actually HIGHER than two of the allopathic schools in the state.

And another personal favorite: "There will NEVER be a combined match."

We'll see about that.

I better not go when he comes to campus I might say something I'll regret later on.

Daddy always said that my problem was not that I thougt most people were *******es (he assured me that most people are) but that I had a tendancy to tell them of that fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
BklynWill said:
"We are strengthening those [AOA residency] programs. Your perception, the students perception of what quality is, remains to be seen. Who can define what the quality of a program is if it's based on what another student tells you? We have, we step to the plate in terms of what our CAP program is doing in our residency programs. Now, granted we dont have programs that are in the ultra-specialties- okay 50% of you-- where's your road-block? I, you know, why would we need a combined match when we have very adequate, in fact, more than adequate excellent programs right here in Pennsylvania? Why would you need a combined match here?"
-Dr. Thomas, 4/12/04

Opinions?

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is "CAP" here?

...And don't say Comm Acq. Pneumonia, because that obviously doesnt make sense here.

so i guess he assumes that every graduating DO can find residency in PA?? what a lovely leader we have!! :rolleyes:

unk_fxn said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is "CAP" here?

...And don't say Comm Acq. Pneumonia, because that obviously doesnt make sense here.

The Clinical Assessment Program (CAP) program is something that Dr. Thomas seems to be pretty proud of. Essentially, it's a quality improvement portion of an AOA strategic plan for improving residencies. DMEs are expected to abide by quality standards and therefore make their patient care (remember, it's the year of the patient!) and residencies better. Unfortunately, there's no evidence that the CAP program will augment enrollment. Me thinks there is a link between the CAP program and Dr. Thomas' recently endorsed incentive-laden payment plan (see The D.O. 46:3, page 24), but that is purely speculation. "While CAP is primarily involved with osteopathic residency training programs, it may soon be expanded to include individual physician practices" (from the following link...)
Click here for CAP info or here

BklynWill said:
... Me thinks there is a link between the CAP program and Dr. Thomas' recently endorsed incentive-laden payment plan (see The D.O. 46:3, page 24), but that is purely speculation. "While CAP is primarily involved with osteopathic residency training programs, it may soon be expanded to include individual physician practices" (from the following link...)
Click here for CAP info or here

I love it! The DO finally appears as a peer reviewed piece of osteopathic literature! I am now removing the foot from my mouth; I have always thought about it as our version of, "People" magazine.

BklynWill, you are to be congratulated for accurate and informative references. What's ironic is that the more informed students become, the more we realize just how out of touch leadership can be. I experienced similar disconnects during the last AOA site visit at NSUCOM. Dr. T's apparent failure to understand some of the student sentiments about graduate osteopathic medical education is testament to his isolation. On a more positive note, the last JAOA had a "final" letter to the editor from Dr. Opipari (sp) about the state of resolution 42. This guy strikes me as quite pragmatic; although he casts himself as a die-hard osteopathic GME advocate, he takes extensive care to shore up the rationale behind the AOA's acceptance of ACGME training. Its refreshing to see some progressive leadership at the AOA. How can we ever attempt to bridge these gaps of communication if future students are alienated and subject to excommunication in five of these nation's states? That's another issue altogether. Now, for some of those famous Dr. Thomas quotations....

-PuSh

Thank you for relieving my ignorance...

Fascinating... absolutely fascinating.

pushinepi2 said:
I have always thought about it as our version of, "People" magazine.

I spit out my chocolate milk when I read that one.....thats so funny!

Docgeorge said:
I better not go when he comes to campus I might say something I'll regret later on.

Daddy always said that my problem was not that I thougt most people were *******es (he assured me that most people are) but that I had a tendancy to tell them of that fact.

uh, yeah...you better stay home.

But on the other hand, maybe we need to quit tiptoeing around these guys. They need to hear what we think of their leadership.

funny stuff DocGeorge, funny stuff...

Dr. Thomas is coming "soon" -A bunch of classmates and I would really like to try and back him into a corner and make him squeel like a defenseless little pig.

I'm going to bump my post from eariler and see if people can offer tactics that have and haven't worked during their visits. I really want some good, well-informed and not easily answered questions for him.

Just remember that we have to present ourselves in an appropriate manner. Nobody will take us seriously if we all act like a bunch of teenagers. Present yourself so that they cannot question your character. Also, remember that we're pushing this issue because we feel it is important, not to get back at Dr. Thomas.

Has anyone asked Dr. Thomas if he has a evidence for his arguement regarding the combined match being the end of osteopathy? From why I hear the evidence points in the other direction. Count me and another OMM fellow at DMU two people who would be AOA interns had there been a combined match.

JohnDO said:
Just remember that we have to present ourselves in an appropriate manner. Nobody will take us seriously if we all act like a bunch of teenagers. Present yourself so that they cannot question your character. Also, remember that we're pushing this issue because we feel it is important, not to get back at Dr. Thomas.

I wasn't suggesting the juvinile approach, as I've said in my other thread I want good, well-worded, well-thought out questions. This is my profession and my passion so I take Dr. Thomas's actions personally and professionally and will approach accordingly.

JohnDO is absolutely right. What I said earlier was said for levity. It is absolutely accepctable to ask questions and follow up questions if your first one was not anwsered to your satisfaction, but however professional demener must be maintained. This issiue is important to us, and we must pursue it in a manner which demonstrates our professionalisim and our concern, I forsee this as being the first issiue that we need to accomplish before we can tackle other issiue that will shape the AOA of tommarow.

macman said:
Has anyone asked Dr. Thomas if he has a evidence for his arguement regarding the combined match being the end of osteopathy? From why I hear the evidence points in the other direction. Count me and another OMM fellow at DMU two people who would be AOA interns had there been a combined match.

Hey, are you going to be there for the meeting. It would be great if you and the other fellow could show up and ask that question.

macman said:

Talking to that man is like talking to a brick wall. He is extremely inflexible on this issue. You can talk till you are blue in the face--he's not going to change his mind. And really, it's not his mind you want to change because he is on the way out. I think this needs to be approached from a different angle rather than head-on with #1 in charge. There ARE thinking people in the AOA leadership who probably are secretly in favor of a combined match. Those are the people we need to lobby.

It's going to be a long slow process of chipping away at the wall...remember that movie "The Shawshank Redemption" where Morgan Freeman's character chips away at the prison wall with a teaspoon? Well, maybe it's not that bad, but I can tell you it's not going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately....