Dress Code?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megandupe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting pharm school in August and I've been trying to stock up on more business-like clothing. My school says that ladies can wear skirts and dresses to our labs, but it doesnt specify much (and there's no reference number on who to call). Does anyone know any specifics regarding this, like if the skirts have to be below the knee? What's considered appropriate/inappropriate at your school?

(I'm not trying to get away with a racey mini, I just dont want to spend $70 on a pencil skirt that 3" above the knee and find out it was a bad choice.)

Members don't see this ad.

You're already in the program. Why worry so much on that? Just be yourself.:)

You're missing my point, I'm not concerned with my esteem. I dont want my attire to be considered potentially dangerous (like if i spill something) or unprofessional. That could be means for dismissal from that class for that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to a religious school. My advice, wear safe clothing to lab (i.e. don't wear flip flops and put up your hair), but don't go out of your way to look businessy in the classroom. If you're trying to network, then go ahead and dress up, but you're going to be required to dress formally in your career, so why not rock the casual while you still can?

It sounds kind of strange that you would dress up for lab? I know in undergrad labs, they told us every class: close-toed shoes (no ballet flats), long pants, long sleeves (few did this, it's annoying), or at least a layer you can unbutton/unzip (like a lab coat) to remove quickly without going over your head, and tie up your hair.

I think where I'm going, we're not required to dress up except on "dress up" days, and also when we go to the professional practice lab class.

You're missing my point, I'm not concerned with my esteem. I dont want my attire to be considered potentially dangerous (like if i spill something) or unprofessional. That could be means for dismissal from that class for that day.

We had to dress professionally for our labs. Guys had to wear the standard shirt/tie combo, but ladies had a lot more leeway (as always with professional dress). Just give it the gut test and I think you'll be alright.

_MG_9388-Edit.jpg

I'm confused. Shouldn't you be able to wear what you wore to your undergraduate institution? Do you wear very low cut tops and boy shorts or something along those lines on a regular basis?

Markel- thanks for elaborating on the pencil skirt! :laugh:

I'm confused. Shouldn't you be able to wear what you wore to your undergraduate institution? Do you wear very low cut tops and boy shorts or something along those lines on a regular basis?

And no, you can not wear what you wore to your undergrad labs. At all the schools I interviewed (all public schools) there is a professional/business school dress code (and closed toed shoes, but not tennis shoes) for labs.

Obviously, i'm very concerned that my platform stilettos and Daisy Dukes wont be suitable.

Obviously, i'm very concerned that my platform stilettos and Daisy Dukes wont be suitable.

When I taught chemistry lab in graduate school, the general chemistry lab dress requirements were ridiculously lax because it's a "beach school." Some female students would actually wear booty shorts and camis to lab. In addition, open toed shoes were not mandatory; I had no friggin' clue what Rainbows (a style of flip flop) and as a gay guy, I was confused about why someone would wear Rainbows to class.

OP, I'd try to contact someone at your school (a student in the previous class) for clarification. I'd like to think that said student would be more affable and receptive to your question than the feedback you're currently getting.

When I taught chemistry lab in graduate school, the general chemistry lab dress requirements were ridiculously lax because it's a "beach school." Some female students would actually wear booty shorts and camis to lab. In addition, open toed shoes were not mandatory; I had no friggin' clue what Rainbows (a style of flip flop) and as a gay guy, I was confused about why someone would wear Rainbows to class.

OP, I'd try to contact someone at your school (a student in the previous class) for clarification. I'd like to think that said student would be more affable and receptive to your question than the feedback you're currently getting.

rainbows are the ****, they take a beating...i'd buy mine at the factory in san clemente. still good after like 10 years of use.

You mean closed-toed shoes? I was a chem lab TA and I had to make sure everyone had something covering their toes.

Usually, your professors and pharmacists will tell you what's appropriate for each type of occasion that comes up. If you pay attention to those very well, you'll know exactly what to wear.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean closed-toed shoes? I was a chem lab TA and I had to make sure everyone had something covering their toes.

Usually, your professors and pharmacists will tell you what's appropriate for each type of occasion that comes up. If you pay attention to those very well, you'll know exactly what to wear.

A friend of mine would always walk around barefoot at TCU but would readily have his sneakers ready for organic lab. I thought it was peculiar but when I went to the west coast, it was pretty common. Go figure that my buddy was from San Diego. :laugh:

To the OP, just ask a current pharm student at the institution you will be going to what is deemed all right to wear.

YES! Closed-toed shoes. However, we'd have students in chemistry lab with flip flops. It was truly bizarre because at my undergrad, the TA's were (understandably) OCD about lab attire. However, at my graduate school, they specifically designed labs where the "harshest chemical" that they'd contact would be hot water. In Organic Chemistry, we were able to be dictators about lab attire, but in General Chemistry, it was silly.

The only thing we had to do for labs is to be sure to wear closed-toed shoes. Other than that, we could wear whatever.

Strict as all get go here for labs. Literally we show a powerpoint with what not to wear. Kids have been sent home for having stylish jeans with "holes" in them.

I think dress codes for class are silly. I am so glad I can wear what I want to school...I would hate to have to dress business casual EVERYDAY. For a girl, it sucks. It means a new wardrobe. Guys can just throw on slacks and a dress shirt.... We have to do different blouses, pants, skirts, and matching shoes. Forget it.

I think dress codes for class are silly. I am so glad I can wear what I want to school...I would hate to have to dress business casual EVERYDAY. For a girl, it sucks. It means a new wardrobe. Guys can just throw on slacks and a dress shirt.... We have to do different blouses, pants, skirts, and matching shoes. Forget it.

same...they only required collared shirts and slacks for labs, no tie; ties were reserved for patient contact (which is dumb because ties are like bacterial vectors).

that since has changed to scrubs for some of the labs, bus. casual for others.

I'm already thinking of upgrading my wardrobe because I only have a few collared shirts and slacks (I absolutely hate dressing like this). I think my school has a dress code so :(.

I'm already thinking of upgrading my wardrobe because I only have a few collared shirts and slacks (I absolutely hate dressing like this). I think my school has a dress code so :(.

van heusen outlet store ftw. <$25 shirts & $20 dress pants.

or Costco... <$20, but selection is limited in terms of colors/patterns.

you can probably get away with $300 for a good variety of shirts/pants that'll last a while. Add another $100 for dress shoes, belt(s), socks, white shirts. Ties are a different story, you could probably get away with 4-5 different colors/patterns (another $150 depending on what you buy).

So... to be safe, $500 if you start from scratch will get you a good wardrobe.

you can probably get away with $300 for a good variety of shirts/pants that'll last a while. Add another $100 for dress shoes, belt(s), socks, white shirts. Ties are a different story, you could probably get away with 4-5 different colors/patterns (another $150 depending on what you buy).

WOOT!
My first and only job in clothing was at Van Heusen! If people think people can be obnoxious in a pharmacy, you should see how they treat mall employees. :rolleyes:

I am going to go ahead and disagree about $500.00 dollars though. Perfectly good belts, ties, and shoes can be got at Goodwill for almost nothing.

Here is how I would break it down (being very generous):
Shirts 5@20 = $100
Slacks 5@30= $150
Belts, Ties, Shoes = $50

So I basically agree with $300 if starting from scratch, assuming delano owns underwear and socks. I mean if you want to spend more, go ahead - but honestly I over budgeted here. You could bring it all in under $200 if you were so inclined (assuming you don't mind owning used, if you do - well that's your problem ;)).

I am going to go ahead and disagree about $500.00 dollars though. Perfectly good belts, ties, and shoes can be got at Goodwill for almost nothing.

Shirts 5@20 = $100
Slacks 5@30= $150
Belts, Ties, Shoes = $50

So I basically agree with $300 if starting from scratch, assuming delano owns underwear and socks. I mean if you want to spend more, go ahead - but honestly I over budgeted here. You could bring it all in under $200 if you were so inclined (assuming you don't mind owning used, if you do - well that's your problem ;)).

haha i'm nice to retail employees because i used to be one. overworked and underpaid, but i had fun...especially holiday season when we'd be stuck til 1am restocking/cleaning up.

My $500 total was for new stuff and non-Goodwill. Not that there's anything wrong with Goodwill, just not my kinda thing. I think I budgeted for about 2 weeks worth of clothes (10 days), which is a good balance between laundry/wearing a designated "Thursday" shirt.

I still have receipts, I'll go through it...for now this is my SWAG.

Thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of ties that I never wear but will probably need to buy some more.

WOOT!
My first and only job in clothing was at Van Heusen! If people think people can be obnoxious in a pharmacy, you should see how they treat mall employees. :rolleyes:

Shirts 5@20 = $100
Slacks 5@30= $150
Belts, Ties, Shoes = $50

Mmm, I doubt I will be buying any of my clothes from Goodwill (no offense). I've spent over $1000 shopping in one day so I don't have a problem with spending $500-$1000 on clothes that can probably last a while. I might not buy them all in one day, but over time it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Mmm, I doubt I will be buying any of my clothes from Goodwill (no offense). I've spent over $1000 shopping in one day so I don't have a problem with spending $500-$1000 on clothes that can probably last a while. I might not buy them all in one day, but over time it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yeah, I bought a week's worth going into APPE in one fell swoop (~$300), all dress shirts and pants (already had ties, shoes). Then I bought a new pair of shoes + shirts I saw them throughout my first block.

haha i'm nice to retail employees because i used to be one. overworked and underpaid, but i had fun...especially holiday season when we'd be stuck til 1am restocking/cleaning up.

My $500 total was for new stuff and non-Goodwill. Not that there's anything wrong with Goodwill, just not my kinda thing. I think I budgeted for about 2 weeks worth of clothes (10 days), which is a good balance between laundry/wearing a designated "Thursday" shirt.

I still have receipts, I'll go through it...for now this is my SWAG.

You make a really good point about having a "Thursday" shirt. I don't dress professionally everyday (right now only for CVS) so for me 5 shirts is a half months supply or so. During the school year it is probably a two months supply cause I don't dress up often.

Um, did I give the impression that I am somehow affiliated with Goodwill? :laugh:

No offense taken. I have bought several articles of clothing from them and similar places - people who can afford to buy much nicer clothing than I often give them stuff and if you look you can find some really nice stuff for super cheap.

But it's not for everyone and I don't take offense if you don't know how to find a good deal. ;)

And I didn't realize you were a baller! 1K in one day?! My whole wardrobe is not 1k. It boggles my mind that you have spent that much on clothing (or was it not on clothing?) and you don't have what you need for school. Good for you I guess, but yikes! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of ties that I never wear but will probably need to buy some more.

I don't understand. Are you hoping that if you buy enough ties they will start reproducing on their own and you won't ever have to buy ties again?

I don't understand. Are you hoping that if you buy enough ties they will start reproducing on their own and you won't ever have to buy ties again?

Isn't that what doing laundry is for? :laugh:

Isn't that what doing laundry is for? :laugh:

We have discussed this before. I don't think you can launder ties - I think it would ruin them. It is a whole process to clean them. It involves Woolite, a sink, more time and desire than I have, etc.

Anyway, I was just teasing - if you have more ties than you wear, why buy more ties? It makes no sense, unless you plan to bread them :laugh:

We have discussed this before. I don't think you can launder ties - I think it would ruin them. It is a whole process to clean them. It involves Woolite, a sink, more time and desire than I have, etc.

Anyway, I was just teasing - if you have more ties than you wear, why buy more ties? It makes no sense, unless you plan to bread them :laugh:

Breed. You don't eat ties unless you just like chewing on your clothes :laugh:

Breed. You don't eat ties unless you just like chewing on your clothes :laugh:

Bread is not a verb, mister smarty pants so breading a tie would not mean eating it. :p

Clever, making the entire content of your post nothing but a comment on my typo. I can't pull a delano and edit our posts to make it right.

Or can I? :smuggrin:

Bread is not a verb, mister smarty pants so breading a tie would not mean eating it. :p

Clever, making the entire content of your post nothing but a comment on my typo. I can't pull a delano and edit our posts to make it right.

Is there an official SDN dictionary we can use to add that? :laugh:

Now, what would it mean "to pull an owle"? :laugh:

Or "to pull a bob"?

I see nothing wrong with buying clothes at Goodwill-- it's not like you guys bring new silverware to a restaurant every time you dine out :rolleyes:

There's also Marshall's/TJ Maxx/ Ross.

Also, if you're getting dress shirts... make sure they're fitted so it doesn't look like you're wearing shirts two sizes larger.

Or "to pull a bob"?

pull an owle = being sarcastic

pull a bob = well that sounds dirty. I can only think of one thing that pulling a bob could mean, and it is not appropriate for a mixed audience.

Well I have a monday and tuesday shirt, i need to go shoppin lol

Just a tip here...I don't work there or anything, but Banana Republic has tons of work-friendly, professional clothes that don't scream "old fogey". If you get on their email list, they send out 40% off coupons all the time (I feel like I see about one per week), and if you have a student ID, you can get 15% off everyday in the store.

If you get the credit card, there's even better deals, but that's only a good deal if you actually pay that stuff off immediately... ;)

Markel- thanks for elaborating on the pencil skirt! :laugh:

And no, you can not wear what you wore to your undergrad labs. At all the schools I interviewed (all public schools) there is a professional/business school dress code (and closed toed shoes, but not tennis shoes) for labs.

If you're so worried about looking professional why don't you just wear dressy pants with a nice top? My school has a dress code for labs too. If I could, I'd wear scrubs all day everyday. They're so comfy

If you're so worried about looking professional why don't you just wear dressy pants with a nice top? My school has a dress code for labs too. If I could, I'd wear scrubs all day everyday. They're so comfy

well ya, but I dont want to look like a cartoon character everyday and never change things up. plus pants can be warm in the summer, and i'm moving somewhere hot and humid. Express has some wicked cute cropped dress pants, but I dont know if they'd be a bad choice. I dont want to show my ankles then get the boot from lab.

Um, did I give the impression that I am somehow affiliated with Goodwill? :laugh:

No offense taken. I have bought several articles of clothing from them and similar places - people who can afford to buy much nicer clothing than I often give them stuff and if you look you can find some really nice stuff for super cheap.

But it's not for everyone and I don't take offense if you don't know how to find a good deal. ;)

And I didn't realize you were a baller! 1K in one day?! My whole wardrobe is not 1k. It boggles my mind that you have spent that much on clothing (or was it not on clothing?) and you don't have what you need for school. Good for you I guess, but yikes! :laugh:

:laugh: Not a baller but I tend to buy clothes in bulk because I don't do it every week or month or so on. This was a while ago when I spent that much. Like I said up-thread, I hate wearing slacks and collared shirts. I definitely should have gotten a few though.:laugh:

:mad:

I'm assuming that I will need more than 10-15 ties.

I've never washed a tie before.:oops:

Bread is not a verb, mister smarty pants so breading a tie would not mean eating it.

I'm the official and only person allowed to edit posts. ;):smuggrin:

Or "to pull a bob"?
SMH, Bob.

wow.

What's a Thursday shirt anyways?

The one after the Wednesday shirt.:smuggrin:

Just a tip here...I don't work there or anything, but Banana Republic has tons of work-friendly, professional clothes that don't scream "old fogey". If you get on their email list, they send out 40% off coupons all the time (I feel like I see about one per week), and if you have a student ID, you can get 15% off everyday in the store.

If you get the credit card, there's even better deals, but that's only a good deal if you actually pay that stuff off immediately... ;)

I've actually never heard of it before.

We have a pharmacy practice lab that we are required to dress up for as if we were going into the workplace. So slacks, shirt and tie for guys. It is a little more confusing for girls, my school is fairly lenient though I have heard of some schools having very strict dress codes (maybe check your student handbook). Girls wear a lot of slacks at my school but skirts and appropriate dresses are good too. I kind of think if it isn't something I would wear to church then I shouldn't wear it to class. I don't wear things that go past the knee really but I don't wear shorts or miniskirts. It is good to stock up on clothes because when you're going out to IPPE sites and such you will need to dress up. Some of our other labs where we get a bit messier only require us to wear long pants and closed toe shoes for safety. Hope this helps!!

:laugh: Not a baller but I tend to buy clothes in bulk because I don't do it every week or month or so on. This was a while ago when I spent that much. Like I said up-thread, I hate wearing slacks and collared shirts. I definitely should have gotten a few though.:laugh:

I must be some kind of weirdo. I don't buy clothing often or in bulk. It's just clothing. :laugh:

I buy what I need, as I needed it. If it happens to be on an actual sale or I can get it at Goodwill, all the better.

:mad:

I'm assuming that I will need more than 10-15 ties.

I've never washed a tie before.:oops:

Why would you need that many ties? You will never wear them. You will end up with a few favorites and before you know it, the rest are just collecting dust. No one, and I mean no one, will notice that you "only" have 5 ties.

I have also never washed a tie. A4MD once gave me a link on how to do it, and it just seemed like too much work. I have never noticed that my ties need to be cleaned. :laugh:

I must be some kind of weirdo. I don't buy clothing often or in bulk. It's just clothing. :laugh:

I buy what I need, as I needed it. If it happens to be on an actual sale or I can get it at Goodwill, all the better.

Why would you need that many ties? You will never wear them. You will end up with a few favorites and before you know it, the rest are just collecting dust. No one, and I mean no one, will notice that you "only" have 5 ties.

I have also never washed a tie. A4MD once gave me a link on how to do it, and it just seemed like too much work. I have never noticed that my ties need to be cleaned. :laugh:

Mmm, I guess we're different in that regards. I love changing up my look. I can't imagine wearing the same outfit more than once per month (if not longer). I like dressing up. Shoes I don't really care too much for.

S/N: I wonder if my school (or most schools) will have a problem if someone wears a lot of jewelry. I have like 5 piercings in my ears and love watches, rings etc.