Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPKP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of yalls schools enforce a strict dress code?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in a clinical setting, you're expected to dress professionally. In any US med school.

In non-clinical setting most med schools don't care what you wear, but there are a few that insist on professional dress there too. Actually I've heard this about a few osteopathic schools more than anything.

Yeah, for pre-clinical years, my school makes the assumption that you're at least 10 years old and can decide what's appropriate and what's not.

For clinical years it's professional dress w/ white coat or scrubs w/ white coat (not your choice, up to your attending).

Agree with above.

I don't think many schools care a lot about what you're wearing to lecture, as long as you're not way out of control. But in clinic, you need to look professional.

Am I the only one who loves wearing suits?

Suit-Up-Poster-how-i-met-your-mother-859246_500_357.jpg

Yeah, for pre-clinical years, my school makes the assumption that you're at least 10 years old and can decide what's appropriate and what's not.

For clinical years it's professional dress w/ white coat or scrubs w/ white coat (not your choice, up to your attending).

Good advice! Too bad some will struggle with this..Saying stuff like: "its my purogative", "Ive always dressed like a jerk", ["Hey "whatdoya" mean, I'm an adroit clinician"]

This topic has come up many times!!

And dressing like a bum just does not make it in this field. :sleep:

Last edited:

I don't know if I can decide...

What would be inappropriate for a day of biochem/histo lectures and library studying?

I don't know if I can decide...

What would be inappropriate for a day of biochem/histo lectures and library studying?

We had a girl in my class get called in to see one of the assoc deans because her clothing was "inappropriate" (either skin-tight spandex shorts or very short skirts) for lecture -- not even talking professional dress. In fairness to the school, it was justified.

But other than that specific incident, our school doesn't have a dress code for lecture. Outside of lecture, we're theoretically in professional dress any time we're in a patient care area, but most everyone wears street clothes any time they're not actually seeing patients even when in the hospital (e.g. going to grand rounds, doing research, etc.). I guess it's technically against the rules but nobody has ever been called out AFAIK.

For the first two years, it is professional dress with white coat only when we see patients, about once or twice a week. Other days, whatever.

Solid scrubs in the labs. Print scrubs are for the TA's/profs only :cool:

Glad to hear that lot of schools don't have dress codes for pre-clinical years except for fake patient interactions or clinic time or whatever.

I think it's highly presumptuous for those medical schools who set professional dress codes for pre-clinical years.

For example, we have a EM professor who loves every opportunity he gets to tell us that our school "technically" has a professional dress code requirement during lectures. The irony is that the dude wears the same ugly suit from the Salvation Army every time in lecture. And of course, no one takes him seriously.

What a tool.

Bottom line: like somebody said, we aren't ten year olds who need our moms to dress us to go to school.

Scrubs in anatomy lab. Business casual + white coat when they take us over to the hospital or we see standardized patients. Beyond that, whatever.

Normal lecture days? We're technically not allowed to wear shorts or sandals, but apparently this rule is loosely enforced... People just haven't had enough balls yet in our class to really push the envelope. Yet.

Patient encounter days (Once a week usually)? Professional attire with white coats. Nothing as business-y as we had to wear for interviews, though. Closed toed dress shoes, slacks/tie/dress shirt for guys and the equivalent for girls. Some girls wear dresses, others wear pants or skirts (hemline at knee or below) and a nice blouse (not necessarily a button up).

It's kind of a self-enforced dress code where you'll be talked about if you dress like a slob.

As far as clinicals though, you are definitely expected to dress professionally.

Solid scrubs in the labs. Print scrubs are for the TA's/profs only :cool:

Print scrubs? Do you have peds nurses teaching you anatomy? With little teddy bears and everything?