Dresscode for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormanBoreman

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
any particular dresscode for dental school? busniess casual or just casual?

Members don't see this ad.

any particular dresscode for dental school? busniess casual or just casual?
From what I've heard it can be different depending on the school. It also can depend on the year/classes. Clinic, Gross Anatomy, and other lab classes are scrubs. Some didactics are just whatever is comfortable without being too unprofessional.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The idea of wearing scrubs all the time is so unappealing to me.

And I noticed my state school have a specific color, so not only we would wear scrubs, we'll wear the same color, all of us!

:eyebrow:

The idea of wearing scrubs all the time is so unappealing to me.

And I noticed my state school have a specific color, so not only we would wear scrubs, we'll wear the same color, all of us!

:eyebrow:

Which school is that?

Business casual. Who the hell wears scrubs and expects to be taken seriously?

Actually a lot of schools require you to wear scrubs for like half a day. Why would you go through the hassle of changing clothes? Besides, scrubs are comfy

Last edited:
Creighton requires you to wear a suit everyday? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rutgers = scrubs all day, every day :banana:

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the school (and whether or not you're in clinic/lab that day). Some schools are scrubs only, some require business casual, some don't have a dress code unless you're in clinic, etc.

Aren't you a freshman? Why are you posting crap like this? Ohio State requires scrubs anytime you're in school. Other schools do as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Play it safe and wear a 3 piece suit at all times.

Reactions: 3 users
Mandating scrubs at all times is a way of forcing conformity ("cohesiveness") in body and in mind.
Just sayin...

Members don't see this ad :)
let me know which school allows for athletic shorts and a tshirt so I can reuse my undergrad attire hehe

but seriously id pick a scrubs only school any day over anything else...so easy to decide what to wear every day and if you buy the right scrubs they will be comfortable and have ample pockets (even more convenient than regular pants)

this is coming from a guy who wears scrubs every day already and has been for three years

bottom line: dont buy cheap scrubs..you'll regret it

and on a serious note let me know what schools make you dress up so I can un-apply

Michigan is scrubs or business casual. Scrubs can be any color, but they have to match and can't have prints on them.

I bought one color for each day of the week. Gotta keep it fresh.

Reactions: 2 users
I know I wouldn't be thinking of the dentist suicide jokes if I wasn't required to wear scrubs 24/7. As a high-school student I wore business casual 2/3 of the time out of my own will. I plan to do the same in undergrad. It gives off the image that you're a serious student to profs and gives me a self-esteem boost. Scrubs are great if you don't want to ruin your clothes but even then I'd take a trauma gown over them.

Thinking from a business aspect, I'd presume that dentists who wear lab-coats over a shirt-and-tie instill more confidence into their patients than those wearing pajamas.

Tell me which schools require scrubs so I can remove them...oh too late—Case is my top choice.

I know I wouldn't be thinking of the dentist suicide jokes if I wasn't required to wear scrubs 24/7. As a high-school student I wore business casual 2/3 of the time out of my own will. I plan to do the same in undergrad. It gives off the image that you're a serious student to profs and gives me a self-esteem boost. Scrubs are great if you don't want to ruin your clothes but even then I'd take a trauma gown over them.

Thinking from a business aspect, I'd presume that dentists who wear lab-coats over a shirt-and-tie instill more confidence into their patients than those wearing pajamas.

Tell me which schools require scrubs so I can remove them...oh too late—Case is my top choice.
In my experience, professors could not care any less about what a student is wearing. I imagine patients don't pay too much consideration to what their healthcare professional is wearing either. Calling scrubs "pajamas" is also a little silly. Scrubs are worn for surgery, dentists are surgeons. What's the issue here?

Nah it's all about how well you communicate and how personable you are. Sure, scrubs look simple to us, but they elevate you in perceived status among non-healthcare people.

3 lines of embroidery per school policy. Usually that runs $5/line everywhere I saw. I got it through the school
Cool. I found a place local to me that sells Cherokee with a student discount for less than I can find online, so I have been stocking up. I've been impressed with them so far!

Why don't EMT's wear scrubs? Why do we dress in button down shirts, slacks, and a belt? After all we're exposed to all kinds of bodily fluids. Why? Because we want to instill confidence in patients. We're who they call 911 for. Showing up like you rolled out of bed doesn't look too good.

I don't look forward to wearing scrubs. Maybe I should go into medicine just to dress appropriately (JK).

Why don't EMT's wear scrubs? Why do we dress in button down shirts, slacks, and a belt? After all we're exposed to all kinds of bodily fluids. Why? Because we want to instill confidence in patients. We're who they call 911 for. Showing up like you rolled out of bed doesn't look too good.

I don't look forward to wearing scrubs. Maybe I should go into medicine just to dress appropriately (JK).
I don't think people having medical emergencies care what a person is wearing??

I don't think people having medical emergencies care what a person is wearing??
Whato_O?

Would you rather have this person responding:
PA64500_5645-thumb-medium.JPG

Or this:
DSC_0583.jpg

Whato_O?

Or this:
DSC_0583.jpg
The second picture is not what you were talking about. I get what you're saying about conveying professionalism. I agree that looking the part is important, but your claims against scrubs are totally unfounded. They're worn by professionals, and are therefore professional attire. If I called 911 for a medical emergency, and an individual in scrubs showed up, I would assume I was in good hands. I certainly wouldn't think that person just rolled out of bed as you say. Feel free to wear whatever you want though, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'll just be in my comfy scrubs.

My dentist is a dentist for 35 years and he wears scrubs. He told me he has never had an issue with someone questioning his credentials or his professionalism. I do agree that we want to instill confidence, but according to your reasoning you would have no confidence in your heart surgeon sinve he wears scrubs. I don't know about you but I would not trust someone who I dont have confidence in touching my heart. The problem is they all wear scrubs, so therefore should you need any sort of surgery I feel for you because they all wear scrubs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why don't EMTs/paramedics wear scrubs?
"Paramedics wear a paramedic’s uniform, which provides safety from the elements (cold and heat), fire ******ant, and is clearly identifiable to the public. The paramedic’s uniform is vitally important to the paramedic’s safety as it clearly identifies him or her as a paramedic and not an intruder who is comming into a person’s house in the middle of the night" (taken from emergencymedicalparamedic.com).

Scrubs, on the other hand, are the perfect attire for the healthcare setting basically because it simplifies the sanitary process. Moreover, it's comfortable, simple, and easy to replace.

Damn, that's harsh dude. I wouldn't take my surgeon seriously if I saw him in business casual clothing in the operating room...

As for answering the OP's question...every school has a different uniform policy, but my school requires a scrub top (different color for each year) and slacks/matching color scrub bottoms. At the end of the day, it's much better than not having uniforms (IMO) since you don't have to worry about what you have to wear everyday you go to school.

Whato_O?

Or this:
DSC_0583.jpg

I don't know where you are buying your scrubs from lol.

But everything you just said is your opinion. Don't try and project your opinion into others.

It makes sense for oral surgeons to wear scrubs. Every general dentist I've seen wears a shirt and tie just like most primary care physicians.

It makes sense for oral surgeons to wear scrubs. Every general dentist I've seen wears a shirt and tie just like most primary care physicians.

Worked with several and all of them wore scrubs. Once again stop using anecdotal evidence and try to pretend it is true for every single person.

Reactions: 4 users
I concede I concede I concede

Reactions: 2 users
Michigan is scrubs or business casual. Scrubs can be any color, but they have to match and can't have prints on them.

I bought one color for each day of the week. Gotta keep it fresh.

Did you have to buy the michigan scrubs

My school requires business casual.

Now, I may exceed when it comes to academics but my fashion sense is certainly lacking. I wore a light jacket and jeans throughout undergrad without fail. Which stores do you guys recommend for business casual attire? I wouldn't mind an affordable fashion stylist to give me some pointers along the way.

Zara

Lovin' the suggestions, guys. Do they have a fashion stylist at these stores to give me the right combination of business casual attire? I plan to always wear this attire for dental school anyway. The days of wearing a light jacket and jeans are over.

Lovin' the suggestions, guys. Do they have a fashion stylist at these stores to give me the right combination of business casual attire? I plan to always wear this attire for dental school anyway. The days of wearing a light jacket and jeans are over.
If I were you, I would keep it simple. That means oxford shirts of 1 solid color (blue, white, light pink, etc), and solid color pants (khaki, navy, dark grey). A nice pair of brown oxford (lace-up) shoes would pair with any of the aforementioned clothes. Also, the belt color should always match the shoe color.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, professors could not care any less about what a student is wearing.

I had one professor who wore gym shorts and Hawaiian T-shirts to lecture every time ... he didn't care. We all respected him though.

I had one professor who wore gym shorts and Hawaiian T-shirts to lecture every time ... he didn't care. We all respected him though.
I bet @Kurk would be triggered

I saw such a range in professor attire at my uni from shorts and a t shirt to a 3 piece suit. I never cared about what they wore.

My school requires business casual.

Now, I may exceed when it comes to academics but my fashion sense is certainly lacking. I wore a light jacket and jeans throughout undergrad without fail. Which stores do you guys recommend for business casual attire? I wouldn't mind an affordable fashion stylist to give me some pointers along the way.
Depends on your school location a lot too. Texas business casual is a lot different from the east-coast preppy business casual. I think that you cant go wrong with gray/navy/khaki slacks with a variety of different oxford shirts (white, light blue, striped, mint green, black, checkered). Lighter colors go best with dark pants, and vice versa. I think that slim dress pants and shirts look best (slim not tight!), and make sure your shirt goes to your wrist, and your pants go a little beyond your ankle. Sounds self explanatory, but a lot of people have too long of shirts and pants and it looks bad. Brown dress shoes are pretty trendy right now (you can grab clarks too), and you can pair them with unique socks (different colored shapes or dots on them, etc.) to throw some character in the mix. Always match your belt with your shoes too (duh). J crew and banana republic are both great. Ralph Lauren has pretty affordable shirts if you have an outlet store near you (theres always great deals). A sports coat always looks nice too if you're not going with a tie (id grab black, navy, or charcoal). Also, don't be the guy to have three buttons unbuttoned from the top down to your chest. One button usually looks best.

You're not going to look like you just walked out of a GQ photoshoot unless you get everything tailored, but you'll definitely look professional and presentable as long as you dont wear anything ludicrous