Dressing for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sol2020

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at University of Pacific,CA and was wondering how people should dress. Is black suit not good, I was reading one person who said that about their UOP interview experience

But in general, for pharmacy interviews, how should one dress?

Thanks.

--------------
Wow...my first post. This is a great site...never really knew something like this existed until now.

Members don't see this ad.

sol2020 said:
I have an interview at University of Pacific,CA and was wondering how people should dress. Is black suit not good, I was reading one person who said that about their UOP interview experience

Thanks.

--------------
Wow...my first post. This is a great site...never really knew something like this existed until now.

suits and anyone who goes with you should dress up as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Some say that black suits are for funerals. I like grays and blues...

Okay. I see now. I think I should've mentioned this as well (^^ haha) but what about for female applicants? Blazer and skirt? Are pants okay? I know that for med school interviews the traditional recommendation is for women to wear skirts, at least that's what my female pre-med friends have told me. I'm just guessing that pharmacy would follow the med school pattern/recommendation...

Women typically have more options in terms of what they can wear. It's pretty much suits for guys and that's it. Black/blues is what you're going to be seeing a lot of during the interviews, so that's pretty much standard going, although it's not going to hurt if you wear other colors. Looking sharp and professional is the goal.

Women can wear black suits.. I think black suits with a brighter blouse, or one with a touch of color in the print look very good.......... worked for me! What every you wear girls, look neat and put together and NOT trendy.. it looks SOOO trashy to wear some trendy dress or suit that is too short or too tight or has zippers or buckles all over.

I wore a simple grey buttondown shirt and more casual pants to my interview at Midwestern, and casual pants and a sweater to my interview in Texas. I do remember seeing a lot of black, and one of the admissions people made a comment about a funeral march....

All the women at my interview wore black for the most part. Looking back I wish I had tried to be a little different! I got in, so I guess black was ok, but I think if I had it to do over I'd wear something more colorful so that I'd stand out a little bit more. :)

I wish I would have asked what to wear before my interview at UIC. I wore a pinstriped button down shirt and black pants. Everyone else had on a blazer except me. On the bright side, I had practically the same outfit as my interviewer so we joked that it was a good sign.

I wore a conservative black suit and a blouse with a subtle pattern. Most of the women had on black suits, although there were a few with a nice skirt and top. I would recommend a classic professional suit. Your answers and personality should be what they remember, not your outfit. Just my humble opinion.

i think i wore a colored suit...
it was perhaps red... or brown or grey
i honestly don't remember but it wasn't black so i stood out.

I wore a pink (slightly pink, not hot pink or anything) shirt and gray pants with a black pea coat (it was really cold that day). Most of the other female applicants wore a black skirt and colored shirts/blousers. At first I wanted to wear the traditional black pants and white shirt, but then I heard from someone that you want to stand out at the interview and make them remember you (not in a negative way). As long as you look professional and comfortable, you're all set. *good luck!!*

Personally, I recommend a business suit, even for female applicants. The younger members of the interview committee won't care so much. But, the older interviewers will expect to see you show them that you take the program seriously by wearing professional dress.

I was told the same in regards to wearing a skirt to the interview. I think today it is more the norm for women to wear pant suits rather than the traditional skirt (at least that was my experience). For my first interview I wore a skirt and felt uncomfortable for the most part (I'm not a skirt person, and every other woman there was wearing pants! I was the only woman with a skirt). I think feeling comfortable is crucial. If you would rather wear slacks, then wear the slacks. Nothing wrong with it...just make sure it's a suit =). You want to feel comfortable and confident.

sol2020 said:

Thanks.

--------------

I wore a blue suit with a light blue shirt. I don't like wearing white cuz its so bland and people just look like waiters. I think you just need to look sharp, that's what counts in the end. Just don't wear no bright colored suits. Keep it conservative but you can throw a bit of fashion sense into it?

Go nakid... you'll catch their attention :eek:

I'm with Vafcarrot. Go in completely naked. Make sure your handshake is firm, because you really wanna make a lasting impression. :thumbup: :oops:

Minghoo said:
I wore a blue suit with a light blue shirt. I don't like wearing white cuz its so bland and people just look like waiters. I think you just need to look sharp, that's what counts in the end. Just don't wear no bright colored suits. Keep it conservative but you can throw a bit of fashion sense into it?

Hi i have an interview at Loma LInda soon and is wearing a black suit with a pink collared shirt inside. Is it unusual to wear pink at interviews?? I just thought it would be something different. thanks!

berrytart said:
Hi i have an interview at Loma LInda soon and is wearing a black suit with a pink collared shirt inside. Is it unusual to wear pink at interviews?? I just thought it would be something different. thanks!

Nope! I wore pink and it was perfectly fine :) (it's my favorite color!)

Leah27 said:
What every you wear girls, look neat and put together and NOT trendy.. it looks SOOO trashy to wear some trendy dress or suit that is too short or too tight or has zippers or buckles all over.

omg so true.. there was a girl in the office, waiting for an interview like me.. and looked like she had just stepped out of a beyonce video.. needless to say she didnt make it

i went in a classic black suit.. i know it can be hard if you dont have a suit already.. but its well worth it.. you WILL dig it out of your closet for conferences... so maybe invest.. a good suit can do wonders and a bad suit can look horrible..

but definitely be comfortable.. if you're not comfortable in a skirt girls, then go pant suit...

i'd recommend a suit over just business ... it adds that extra "something special" :D