Drexel Anesthesiology on Probation - any info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chumchum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has interviewed at Drexel yet and if they know why they're on probation. I've heard conflicting stories about work hours being the reason as well as lack of research. There's also one prelim interviewer I met on the trail that mentioned something about residents having to do a whole month of ICU in St. Louis!? :confused: IS this true? I'm considering cancelling my interview there if this is the case.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you do do ICU in st louis. I have no idea about why they are/were on probation. might have something to do with lack of ICU, which is why they send you to st louis? no idea.

I interviewed there last year, and according to the Chair, they are on probation b/c of a "lack of scholarly activity". I believe he took over within the last couple of years and according to him, the program was not involved enough in research prior to that. He is actively involved in research himself and I'm sure this will carry on down thru the ranks with time. He is a nice guy and the program seems very benign with good morale among residents. From the Chair down to the residents, no one seemed to be concerned that the program would be shut down. They felt the probation would be lifted in the near future.

Again, this is what I picked up on a year ago at my interview. Hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess this is the second year in a row they are on probation. St. Louis still perplexes me. Of all the possible places to do ICU months, why there?! Is the financial situation a possible reason for outsourcing critical care experience? I remember someone telling me that Drexel was bankrupt once and had to close one of the hospitals? Anyway, thanks for the info. I think I'll still go to the interview to see what the inside scoop is.:rolleyes:

went to med school there and interviewed last year. good people, good program.

regarding SLU - from what I understand, there was some in-house political reasons that the anesthesia residents were not rotating in the SICU at the university hospital (someone else told me it was b/c anesthesia was treated poolry by some of the trauma attendings.. not sure). the SLU hospital is also in the Tenet Healthcare network and that is why the residents rotate there.

bankruptcy - in the late 90's the CEO of Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh wanted a med school and bought out what was then MCP/Hahnemann in Philly, with eventual plans of moving the school to Pittsburgh. He was soon involved in a money-skimming scandal that left both AGH and the med school in the red. Shortly after MCP/Hahnemann ended the association and was absorbed by Drexel in 2002 as a college of medicine within the university - a great move. HUH (Hahnemann University Hospital - Drexel's main hospital) never closed. AGH never closed and is now affiliated with Drexel - but has nothing to do with the residency. MCP Hospital, a smaller community hospital in suburban Philly (which was traditionally associated with Women's College, later Medical College of PA) was closed by Tenet in 2003 or 2004.. I don't remember which.

Bottom line is that Drexel was never bankrupt. It was the failed attempt at what was called the "Allegheny University of the Health Sciences". Drexel Med is alive and strong, and well-funded.

Probation - lack of research was the big one i remember. there was also a rumor regarding the former dept head having friends in the ACGME and leaving on less than pleasant terms from the department. purely rumor, draw your own conclusions.

feel free to PM with questions, but I know more about the school and hospital in general than the anethesia dept specifically.