Drexel DPMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Md2B96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out about the DPMS at Drexel, is anyone else interested in it?? I've been reading posts all over sdn and it seems pretty straight forward, although I haven't taken the mcat and still an undergrad! (Hopefully applying this spring)

Members don't see this ad.

Just found out about the DPMS at Drexel, is anyone else interested in it?? I've been reading posts all over sdn and it seems pretty straight forward, although I haven't taken the mcat and still an undergrad! (Hopefully applying this spring)
I just found out too. I am a bit confused on some areas of the admission process.

I just found out too. I am a bit confused on some areas of the admission process.
Yes!! Same here!! I am excited but nervous I've been reading posts all over seems like March is when we can start applying?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!! Same here!! I am excited but nervous I've been reading posts all over seems like March is when we can start applying?
Do you think it opens in March? or is that when they start interviewing? Also I wonder what stats are required??

Hello! You must have an official MCAT score before the deadline date (May 2, 2018) for your application to be complete. You can fill out the application now. You will need to have completed all pre-requisites and your degree before the program begins.
Please call the program office 215 762 4692 if you have specific questions.
Hope this helps.

awad2893 please contact the program office if you have specific questions about admissions: 215 762 4692

Md2B96, You can submit your application now and continue to update with supporting documentation until the May 2, 2018 deadline. If you have specific questions please call the program office: 215 762 4692

Do you think it opens in March? or is that when they start interviewing? Also I wonder what stats are required??

awad2893, Interviewing typically starts mid to late April....any candidate must meet the requirements stated on the program website which is found under the GRADUATE SCHOOL Pre-Med Pre-Health Division at the Drexel University College of Medicine website.
The medical school admissions committee reviews, conducts interviews and makes the decision regarding who will participate. As with medical school, they are looking for candidates that can successfully transition from the Master's program into the MD program to become a physician.
If you have specific questions please contact the program office 215 762 4692

Md2B96,
Interviewing typically starts mid to late April....any candidate must meet the requirements stated on the program website which is found under the GRADUATE SCHOOL Pre-Med Pre-Health Division at the Drexel University College of Medicine website.
The medical school admissions committee reviews, conducts interviews and makes the decision regarding who will participate. As with medical school, they are looking for candidates that can successfully transition from the Master's program into the MD program to become a physician.

Thanks so much! Hopefully after i get my mcat score i will apply and then update it with my finished prereqs!! what are typical scores of students that get in by the way?

Thanks so much! Hopefully after i get my mcat score i will apply and then update it with my finished prereqs!! what are typical scores of students that get in by the way?
Sorry for this late response Md2B96. I don't know a typical score...I haven't done that analysis but the program is consistent regarding the 27th percentile requirement to evaluate an applicant's competitiveness for the program.

Sorry for this late response Md2B96. I don't know a typical score...I haven't done that analysis but the program is consistent regarding the 27th percentile requirement to evaluate an applicant's competitiveness for the program.
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)

So if you're under 27% should you save your money and not apply? Sadly I'm under that for 1 section but the rest of them are in the 50-70%.

Website says that this is for economically disadvantaged and URMs. Does this mean that you have to be both of those things to apply?

I'm looking to apply to this program but I'd like more insight from the students in the program. It really sounds great but some people on this site rags on it so it's making me unsure.

For anyone applying/in the program: would you mind sharing your stats (degrees, GPAs, nontrad/trad, MCAT, etc)? I'm interested in this program, although I would be applying for sometime in 2019, as I am still finishing my pre-reqs and have to take the MCAT. I would also love to hear any experiences you'd be willing to share about the program and/or application process.

For anyone applying/in the program: would you mind sharing your stats (degrees, GPAs, nontrad/trad, MCAT, etc)? I'm interested in this program, although I would be applying for sometime in 2019, as I am still finishing my pre-reqs and have to take the MCAT. I would also love to hear any experiences you'd be willing to share about the program and/or application process.
yes of course!! i am hopefully submitting my app in March and am willing to share the whole entire experience with you!

yes of course!! i am hopefully submitting my app in March and am willing to share the whole entire experience with you!

Thank you so much! Please, let me know your stats and keep me up to date with your progress ;)! PM me whenever, if you'd like. On your own time though, haha, you need to focus for now. Good luck with the application. I'm wishing you well! I actually went to Drexel for undergrad, but the med school is a different beast. Totally confident that everyone will love the city though; Philly has great food lol.

Website says that this is for economically disadvantaged and URMs. Does this mean that you have to be both of those things to apply?

"The Drexel Pathway to Medical School program is designed for students who want to attend Drexel's MD program and have taken traditional premed coursework and the MCAT before applying. Our typical applicants include:

• Students from socially or economically disadvantaged backgrounds
  • Students who are underrepresented in health professions
  • Students who have MCAT scores in the 27th percentile or greater in each section and overall
  • Students who have undergraduate science and overall GPAs of 2.9 or better
  • Applicants who possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution, or an international equivalent, and are a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S."

I think the answer to your question is no. You have to be either 1. socially or 2. economically disadvantaged. Socially disadvantaged groups tend to be people from underrepresented populations (ethnic, racial, or national minorities such as Hispanic, Native American, African American etc., or physical minorities like handicapped and physically disabled persons). Economically disadvantaged meaning that you come from a family of </= a certain income. That info is probably available on Federal Poverty Guidelines webpage. Presumably, you can also be both to apply. :D

Md2B96,
Interviewing typically starts mid to late April....any candidate must meet the requirements stated on the program website which is found under the GRADUATE SCHOOL Pre-Med Pre-Health Division at the Drexel University College of Medicine website.
Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much! Please, let me know your stats and keep me up to date with your progress ;)! PM me whenever, if you'd like. On your own time though, haha, you need to focus for now. Good luck with the application. I'm wishing you well! I actually went to Drexel for undergrad, but the med school is a different beast. Totally confident that everyone will love the city though; Philly has great food lol.
Haha thankyou!! will definitely do that, I would love to help anyone I can :) it is definitely stressful.. but so exciting that it is worth it lol! and oh! how did you like undergrad at drexel?

Haha thankyou!! will definitely do that, I would love to help anyone I can :) it is definitely stressful.. but so exciting that it is worth it lol! and oh! how did you like undergrad at drexel?

Can't complain. I was in a small program in a large school. I had a lot of individual attention and great opportunities. It is a research uni so there are billions of experiences just waiting for you to jump on, if you are interested and can stand the pressure. We have a large population of international students at Drexel, so it is a great place to make friends from all ove the globe. Academically, it was challenging in some areas; others, not so much. Very fast paced environment. Like I said though, the med school is completely different professors, different schedule, and the like, so I can't say so much about that.

I’ll be submitting my application hopefully by the first week of March! Waiting for my mcat scores and one of my science LOR. when I called I was told my GPA was good but they put a heavier emphasis on the DPMS essay compared to mcat and gpa ? Any truth to that ?

I’ll be submitting my application hopefully by the first week of March! Waiting for my mcat scores and one of my science LOR. when I called I was told my GPA was good but they put a heavier emphasis on the DPMS essay compared to mcat and gpa ? Any truth to that ?

I believe this is true given their lower stat requirements. This is most definetely a mission-based program. I think your stats only matter up until the point where you can prove you can handle the rigor of medical school- beyond that I don't think they use it as a tool for compare applicants. This program is looking for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the intentions of serving the underserved as a physician.

I'm a former DPMS student from 2013-2014 who successfully completed the program and I am graduating Medical School this May. I cannot answer questions about how competitive the program is, it has changed a lot since I was enrolled. What I can tell you is that you must be absolutely sure that medical school is really what you want. My year, about 55-60% of the students completed the program and successfully matriculated into Drexel med the following year. I do know of two students who managed to "fail" DPMS and get into DO schools afterwards. The other students I have no idea what happened to them.

The program is expensive and extremely challenging. There was people dropping out by the first BIOchem exam. If you're interested in primary care and have ok numbers that may take you to a DO school...I highly suggest you go that route. I also suggest you look into 1 and 2 year master programs. But if you choose to take the chance, work super super hard, and are actually smarter than what your MCAT or GPS suggest, you can make it.

FYI- I just matched General Surgery! I find out where on Friday. Best of luck to all of you on your journey. I suggest you somehow get in touch with current DPMS students (I don't know them) because they will have more accurate information about the program.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm a former DPMS student from 2013-2014 who successfully completed the program and I am graduating Medical School this May. I cannot answer questions about how competitive the program is, it has changed a lot since I was enrolled. What I can tell you is that you must be absolutely sure that medical school is really what you want. My year, about 55-60% of the students completed the program and successfully matriculated into Drexel med the following year. I do know of two students who managed to "fail" DPMS and get into DO schools afterwards. The other students I have no idea what happened to them.

The program is expensive and extremely challenging. There was people dropping out by the first BIOchem exam. If you're interested in primary care and have ok numbers that may take you to a DO school...I highly suggest you go that route. I also suggest you look into 1 and 2 year master programs. But if you choose to take the chance, work super super hard, and are actually smarter than what your MCAT or GPS suggest, you can make it.

FYI- I just matched General Surgery! I find out where on Friday. Best of luck to all of you on your journey. I suggest you somehow get in touch with current DPMS students (I don't know them) because they will have more accurate information about the program.
In what ways has it changed that you know of ?

In what ways has it changed that you know of ?

Hello, I am currently in the DPMS program, I am on track to matriculate but the semester is not over yet...

I would agree with Dito22 that the program is expensive and challenging, and you need to make sure that it is appropriate for you. If you can increase your chances of getting directly into medical school just by increasing your MCAT score you should look into spending a few thousand dollars in tutoring instead of $50,000 for this program.

Although the first Biochem test was rough, most of us made it until the end of the fall semester, and a few did not meet the mark for the GPA requirement for matriculation but are still trying to obtain the Master's degree.

I am in track II (the non-MCAT track) and I know that about 60% of us left in track II. I am not sure of the numbers for track I, but I do know that many of them did not meet the mark for the mcat and need to retake the MCAT a second time in the upcoming weeks.

I do want to end with saying that this program is very doable if you are committed to trying hard, finding help and resources as soon as an issue arises, and learn to work/study with others. These are the things that I think hindered many people. A lot of the people who aren't here anymore were recluse, had outside issues beyond their control, and didn't use the resources provided appropriately (tutoring, academic coaching, etc.).

This program is stressful. It's a sad truth that not everyone matriculates, but you need to just come in with 1.) a positive attitude, 2.) an openness to change your study habits and learn about yourself as a student 3.) push through and focus on your goal of becoming a physician.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think they started reviewing applications yet?

Do you think they started reviewing applications yet?
I wish I knew !!! they received all my documents so now it says my application is under review. Which I’m pretty sure they will all say that once all the required material is submitted lol

Hey guys,

We are on spring break now and figured, I could answer some of your questions. I am also on track to matriculate come fall but was Track 1 (MCAT-retake). I am willing to answer any questions you guys have. Might even see you guys come interview time

How is the overall culture of the program? Is it fairly competitive among classmates or is everyone there to support each other?

To me the overall culture is great. There's really no competition whatsoever. You have a seat and nobody is taking it away from you. Your acceptance depends solely on yourself and your capabilities. During the summer is when you and your cohort will get to know each other very well. There are some easy summer courses in which you definitely should get A's in to provide you some buffer for the tough fall semester. Summer is when you'll get your fill, of going out, sight seeing and having fun but after that you have to buckle down and get serious for the fall.

You'll be paired with a big (MS1 or MS2 past DPMSer) and you should get to know them. They will be available to answer questions of what they did in their past years. Also there are many tutors, (some are MMS, IHS or DPMSers) who can also help you with your classes. Plus every professor is willing to meet and are helpful. Our Biochemistry professor was amazing and he even took time to set up three (DPMS only) review days on our last test (this is not including the review session he regularly has with all programs). I feel people are just scared to ask for help from them or their own peers.
Wow that was a very thorough response. Thank you so much! That makes me excited to hear back!

To me the overall culture is great. There's really no competition whatsoever. You have a seat and nobody is taking it away from you. Your acceptance depends solely on yourself and your capabilities. During the summer is when you and your cohort will get to know each other very well. There are some easy summer courses in which you definitely should get A's in to provide you some buffer for the tough fall semester. Summer is when you'll get your fill, of going out, sight seeing and having fun but after that you have to buckle down and get serious for the fall.

You'll be paired with a big (MS1 or MS2 past DPMSer) and you should get to know them. They will be available to answer questions of what they did in their past years. Also there are many tutors, (some are MMS, IHS or DPMSers) who can also help you with your classes. Plus every professor is willing to meet and are helpful. Our Biochemistry professor was amazing and he even took time to set up three (DPMS only) review days on our last test (this is not including the review session he regularly has with all programs). I feel people are just scared to ask for help from them or their own peers.

Excellent summary of DPMS culture! I agree with all of this. I never once felt any level of competition in DPMS. Also, the old DPMS that are now MS1 or MS2 are a great resource! You are paired up with a single "Big", but I can think of four or five other former DPMS students who have given me advice throughout the year as well.

I want to add that the professors are also very approachable, I've meet with Dr. White (physio) and Dr. Jameson (biochem) often to go over exams or just ask questions, and it is clear they are really interested in making sure DPMS students succeed. However, I don't think students take advantage of them often enough. They are an amazing resource and more than happy help and answer questions you but you need to ask for it first. For example, it was a DPMS student who asked Dr. Jameson to set up those DPMS Biochem review sessions that @icevyne25 mentioned.

Reactions: 3 users
Why has this thread gotten so dry :(?

I am currently doing the BCPM GPA for the application, and i ran out of spaces for my graduate classes. There are 15 spaces but i have 17 classes. Does anyone know what to do in this case? I have not been able to reach the admissions office.

I am currently doing the BCPM GPA for the application, and i ran out of spaces for my graduate classes. There are 15 spaces but i have 17 classes. Does anyone know what to do in this case? I have not been able to reach the admissions office.

There’s a link at the bottom that says add more classes if I remember correctly.

Typed on my iPhone

There’s a link at the bottom that says add more classes if I remember correctly.

Typed on my iPhone
Yea. It originally gave me 10 spaces, then the link allowed me to add 5 more. No other link showed up for me to add more

Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet ?!?!:nailbiting:

Welp, looks like I got passed over. Good luck everyone on your interviews

How do you figure?

I applied last year, and because of that, had to use the same essay. I called the DPMS lady at the office and she said it’d probably be ok, but im reckoning adcom thought otherwise. That’s ok though, I’m not bitter ;) My time will come...someday.

I applied last year, and because of that, had to use the same essay. I called the DPMS lady at the office and she said it’d probably be ok, but im reckoning adcom thought otherwise. That’s ok though, I’m not bitter ;) My time will come...someday.

No, I mean don’t they send out interviews again later?

Typed on my iPhone