Drexel Rejection part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Drexel doesn't reject till later in the spring, then is it a possibility that my "decision" may be an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

tigress said:
I'm just curious -- why do you think Drexel has a terrible 3rd year system? I'm not saying it doesn't, I'd just like to know your thoughts. Actually most of the students seem pretty happy with it, and there are a lot of hospitals to choose from. My husband is in the process of setting up his rotations right now, actualy. But truthfully, this is the one thing really holding me back from saying I'll go to Drexel (well, that and money; but it's not more expensive than other private schools -- they're basically all the same).
I don't like things based on chance. If I go, I'd definitely be applying for the all year at one place deal. I like to get comfortable going to one place, and going to 6-7 different types of places in a year is a little too chaotic for me in 3rd year. Also, I really, really hate driving so I don't want a long commute.

USArmyDoc said:
If Drexel doesn't reject till later in the spring, then is it a possibility that my "decision" may be an interview invite?

yup!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cozmosis said:
I don't like things based on chance. If I go, I'd definitely be applying for the all year at one place deal. I like to get comfortable going to one place, and going to 6-7 different types of places in a year is a little too chaotic for me in 3rd year. Also, I really, really hate driving so I don't want a long commute.

Oh yeah, I can see what you're saying. Like you said, you can apply to do the whole year in Pittsburgh or at Monmouth. And if you have special circumstances you can request the full year in the Philly region, although that's still a bunch of different places. I know that students sometimes get annoyed by long commutes or sites that are sort of in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, it's a great opportunity to see all sorts of patient populations and hospital types. I almost wish my husband didn't have special circumstances (i.e. we're having a baby) so that he could have the opportunity to rotate at some of the other sites, and he agrees. But it really depends on the person. So I totally see where you're coming from. At least one good thing is you can usually swap rotations with somebody if you find somebody who is willing.

My main issue is just that Hahnemann isn't really the best hospital, and almost all of the residents are FMGs. They're great people, but sometimes really hard to understand, and they don't seem to be really all that much into teaching. But other sites are reputed to be much better in this regard, and St. Chris (pediatrics) is supposed to be great.

She also told me that February interviews are reserved for special program students, not for those applying for MD through regular route. Anyway, best of luck to all of us :luck: :luck:

Im not so sure about that. I will be interviewing on Saturday Feb 25th and I am applying regular MD...

USArmyDoc said:
I was just told via a status update that a decision has been made and a letter has been mailed. Since I know drexel invites via email, I am rejected. :(
DREXEL def rejects before the spring. I got rejected in like november or something pre interview. I had the same hope as you since they told me something was in the mail. Oh it was in the mail.....

BOBODR said:
DREXEL def rejects before the spring. I got rejected in like november or something pre interview. I had the same hope as you since they told me something was in the mail. Oh it was in the mail.....

Damn, I am DEFINITELY rejected then. Thanks for the info....I appreciate it because I do not want false hope.

USArmyDoc said:
Damn, I am DEFINITELY rejected then. Thanks for the info....I appreciate it because I do not want false hope.

Okay, you might be. I don't want to be unrealistic here. But you also might be invited for an interview. I asked my husband, and he doesn't remember when he was actually invited, but his interview was on March 11th, and he got accepted. So no false hope, but don't give up yet! :luck:

Hi all, I have been reading your posts for some time... I just want to say hi, and (hope hope) I'l see you guys in the Fall at Drexel..(its my top choice)!!

Anyways, I interviewed today...I just HAVE to share my HORROR story....

So, they stick me on a shuttle bus at 11:00 downtown to Hahnemann for my 11:30 interview... they give me the wrong directions to the interviewer's office. But I do happen to find the student who was scheduled to interview before me at 11:00. He also has the wrong directions. When we finally find our Doc, the other student goes in to interview as I am grilled by two third years who were probably just having some fun with me. I was under the impression that they were my student interview. At any rate, by the time I got in to interview with the Doc, I was a bit frazzled and my face was bright red (I could literally feel the flush). To make matters worse, afterwards we miss the 12:30 shuttle back to Germantown by 3 minutes, so we have to wait for the next (they run every 30 mins)...So we get on the 1:00 shuttle...it goes around the corner...and breaks down!!!!! At this point I call the Admissions Office and let them know myself and the the student will be late for the tour, and she told me not to worry, that our student interviewer would wait for us. Student interview? Hmm. I have no ideal what that grilling session was earlier? Both myself and the other student interviewed togather with our student interviewer which was really low stress.

The students on the shuttle bus were really awesome though. The one girl I met was like "Don't let this experience affect your decision! I love it here!"

Anyways, I am hoping the student I was with all day will post and back me up on this interview day from hell!

blondMD said:
Hi all, I have been reading your posts for some time... I just want to say hi, and (hope hope) I'l see you guys in the Fall at Drexel..(its my top choice)!!

Anyways, I interviewed today...I just HAVE to share my HORROR story....

So, they stick me on a shuttle bus at 11:00 downtown to Hahnemann for my 11:30 interview... they give me the wrong directions to the interviewer's office. But I do happen to find the student who was scheduled to interview before me at 11:00. He also has the wrong directions. When we finally find our Doc, the other student goes in to interview as I am grilled by two third years who were probably just having some fun with me. I was under the impression that they were my student interview. At any rate, by the time I got in to interview with the Doc, I was a bit frazzled and my face was bright red (I could literally feel the flush). To make matters worse, afterwards we miss the 12:30 shuttle back to Germantown by 3 minutes, so we have to wait for the next (they run every 30 mins)...So we get on the 1:00 shuttle...it goes around the corner...and breaks down!!!!! At this point I call the Admissions Office and let them know myself and the the student will be late for the tour, and she told me not to worry, that our student interviewer would wait for us. Student interview? Hmm. I have no ideal what that grilling session was earlier? Both myself and the other student interviewed togather with our student interviewer which was really low stress.

The students on the shuttle bus were really awesome though. The one girl I met was like "Don't let this experience affect your decision! I love it here!"

Anyways, I am hoping the student I was with all day will post and back me up on this interview day from hell!

dude, two people that interviewed the day before you (my interview day) had the EXACT same experience. minus the shuttle breaking down. that's really odd.
-dr. mota

I just got back 2 hrs ago from Drexel. My faculty interview went for like 15 mins. after they printed the wrong room on the file. The interviewer asked questions like, tell me about yourself, your initial start to college was a little difficult, tell me about that, you took the MCAT three times, that's a lot of times to take an exam, what would you do if you didn't get into medical school...in short very laid back and conversational. I don't know how to gauge the interview. I am thinking waitlist or rejection since they already have a pretty good idea of who they are gonna accept. The student interview was okay, the MS1 student was very enthused about the college and was very conversational.

And to top that all off, I came home to find a rejection from Vermont. :(

For those of you who received decisions post-interview, how long did it take? I interview Friday (1/21) and I am anxious to hear b/c it's my first choice! They told us 6-8 weeks. Truth or myth?

Members don't see this ad :)
blondMD said:
For those of you who received decisions post-interview, how long did it take? I interview Friday (1/21) and I am anxious to hear b/c it's my first choice! They told us 6-8 weeks. Truth or myth?

Mine was a little less than six weeks til I heard back. But the letter was dated a little more than four weeks from interview day.

blondMD said:

I interviewed late Sept and got a letter dated 10/31. It was a very fast turnover, but keep in mind this was very very early in the year and you may have to wait quite sometime as the applications have probably snowballed into an avalanche...

Rayhan, my faculty interview at Drexel this Saturday was short too...most people I talked to had 15-20-minute interviews. One of the questions I was asked pissed me off: " So tell me what do you know about medicine, since everything you've done has nothing to do with it?" Inside, I was WTF???????
EMT work, ER work, clinical research, doctor shadowing, hospice volunteering have nothing to do with medicine? Dude, you are a jerk, or you did not read my application!!!!

blondMD said:

I think it depends on who you interview with and who you are. I am working on week 16 and they have given me no clue as to why it's taking so long, except that they are "backlogged". Which of course doesn't explain why people who interviewed after me have already received decisions...

Anyways, hope the interview went well! I liked Drexel and this wait is killing me.

HC05nmd said:
I think it depends on who you interview with and who you are. I am working on week 16 and they have given me no clue as to why it's taking so long, except that they are "backlogged". Which of course doesn't explain why people who interviewed after me have already received decisions...

Anyways, hope the interview went well! I liked Drexel and this wait is killing me.

week 16!!!!!!!!!! we have a winner! what was i complaining about, 10 weeks? something dumb like that.....hope you hear soon....or within the year at least

C.P. Jones said:
week 16!!!!!!!!!! we have a winner! what was i complaining about, 10 weeks? something dumb like that.....hope you hear soon....or within the year at least

thank you, thank you! i never thought i'd win such a prestigious award! i need to thank all the people along the way...my interviewer, who probably barely listened to what i had to say since he was operating on a foot at the same time, the admissions committee for blatantly ignoring my precious file that constantly screams "look at me PLEASE", and to those lovely secretaries who are not allowed to tell us anything! I could not have made it this far without any of you!

but really, thanks c.p., it would be nice to hear within the next half of year, since we're already up to 1/3 of a year!

week 18 here. i can't believe i interviewed in the first week of their season and still nothing...called them several times and every time they told me that i'll hear in the next couple of weeks. whatever. :thumbdown:

HC05nmd said:
thank you, thank you! i never thought i'd win such a prestigious award! i need to thank all the people along the way...my interviewer, who probably barely listened to what i had to say since he was operating on a foot at the same time, the admissions committee for blatantly ignoring my precious file that constantly screams "look at me PLEASE", and to those lovely secretaries who are not allowed to tell us anything! I could not have made it this far without any of you!

but really, thanks c.p., it would be nice to hear within the next half of year, since we're already up to 1/3 of a year!

honestly, this stuff is unacceptable. 16 weeks, 18 weeks... that's really ridiculous. you guys don't deserve to have to endure such long waits. you know, when i visited drexel, i really liked almost everything about it (save the location...) and i thought to myself, i'd really like to go to this school. but, having to wait so long myself made me really question whether or not they have the resources to support their students. they have a large applicant pool and they clearly lack the man-power to deal with it. they also happen to have a very large class. hmmm, makes me wonder...

anyway, i hope you guys hear soon. best of luck.

18 weeks!!!!! They should have just lied and said the letter got lost in the mail to make themselves look better.

I can see this is going to be an ulcer-inducing wait. Think a letter of intent would help?

I feel so bad for all of you who haven't heard. But just to defend Drexel (yes, I must do it, I can't help myself :p), I don't think it's because they don't have the resources to support their students. Well, actually I know that's not the reason, because they do better than most schools (any other school I know of) at supporting their students. They could probably use an additional person in the admission's office. However, unfortunately I think the reason for these delays lies not with the admissions office itself but rather with the interviewers who aren't returning their evaluations. A file can't be reviewed until they have that evaluation.

That said, it's still unacceptable. It's a shame it reflects poorly on the school. Of course many other schools are having the same problems (as you can see from other threads). Ah, but my emotional attachment to Drexel gets me defensive. lol...heck, the very fact I have this attachment must say something about the school, right? They've been so good to my husband, and the students are so nice and happy. See, now I'll wax poetical...maybe it's bedtime :laugh:

good luck to all who are waiting to hear :luck:

DrKitty said:
Rayhan, my faculty interview at Drexel this Saturday was short too...most people I talked to had 15-20-minute interviews. One of the questions I was asked pissed me off: " So tell me what do you know about medicine, since everything you've done has nothing to do with it?" Inside, I was WTF???????
EMT work, ER work, clinical research, doctor shadowing, hospice volunteering have nothing to do with medicine? Dude, you are a jerk, or you did not read my application!!!!

Okay so I wasn't the only one with a short interview. Did you have the Siekh guy? He seems to be a pain in the ass for a lot of interviewees. Why does he volunteer for interviewing if he simply likes to torture people and see them squirm...he should just rent a snuff film and get his jollies.

I was astonished by the number of people there...there was what like 75 of us? I am a little happy that the student interview didn't go on during lunch as I had thought. At least they had a decent spread for lunch. Here's to (hopefully) good news for both of us.

RayhanS1282 said:
Okay so I wasn't the only one with a short interview. Did you have the Siekh guy? He seems to be a pain in the ass for a lot of interviewees. Why does he volunteer for interviewing if he simply likes to torture people and see them squirm...he should just rent a snuff film and get his jollies.

I was astonished by the number of people there...there was what like 75 of us? I am a little happy that the student interview didn't go on during lunch as I had thought. At least they had a decent spread for lunch. Here's to (hopefully) good news for both of us.

Yes, I did have the Siekh guy, I wonder if that's the same person DaMota had.
I tried not to loose my cool :D , but it's hard to tell what he thought. I was glad the student interview went before lunch, I wouldn't be able to eat while interviewing. Best of luck to us :luck:

DrKitty said:
Yes, I did have the Siekh guy, I wonder if that's the same person DaMota had.
I tried not to loose my cool :D , but it's hard to tell what he thought. I was glad the student interview went before lunch, I wouldn't be able to eat while interviewing. Best of luck to us :luck:

Yeah that was the same guy Mota had. I was actually waiting in that 102 room with that Grandfather Clock with a bunch of other people before someone came and got me 'cause they printed the wrong room on my folder.

I really liked that clock though. I Wonder if our secondaries paid for that.

myrahu said:
week 18 here. i can't believe i interviewed in the first week of their season and still nothing...called them several times and every time they told me that i'll hear in the next couple of weeks. whatever. :thumbdown:

well i hand my award over to you then. at least im not the only one they've totally forgotten about

RayhanS1282 said:
I just got back 2 hrs ago from Drexel. My faculty interview went for like 15 mins. after they printed the wrong room on the file. The interviewer asked questions like, tell me about yourself, your initial start to college was a little difficult, tell me about that, you took the MCAT three times, that's a lot of times to take an exam, what would you do if you didn't get into medical school...in short very laid back and conversational. I don't know how to gauge the interview. I am thinking waitlist or rejection since they already have a pretty good idea of who they are gonna accept. The student interview was okay, the MS1 student was very enthused about the college and was very conversational.

And to top that all off, I came home to find a rejection from Vermont. :(

hi rayhan, so did you like it there? and what do you mean they "already have a pretty good idea who they are gonna accept?" did somebody tell you this at the school, and how do you know you are not one of the people they would want to accept?

I received the drexel rejection today!!! :mad:

USArmyDoc said:
Don't worry I am not to upset. ;)

Then it's a blatant misuse of the angry emoticon.

But nonetheless, I offer my condolences (sp?)

bubbleyum said:
hi rayhan, so did you like it there? and what do you mean they "already have a pretty good idea who they are gonna accept?" did somebody tell you this at the school, and how do you know you are not one of the people they would want to accept?

I loved the campus, it's a little small but cozy. The faculty seems very nice and the students seem very happy there. I'd drop my pants and streak across the campus and be comfortable doing it (purely thearetical of course). And as for having a good idea, I think I read that somewhere in medical feedback and the no so short guide to medical school. This idea was more confirmed by the ease/disinterest of the interviewer. Myabe she was being nice and didn't want to grill me. At any rate, it is very difficult to gauge my performance. And IMO, the glass in half empty and the half full portion of the glass is urine so, I am thinking waitlist or rejection.

RayhanS1282 said:
I loved the campus, it's a little small but cozy. The faculty seems very nice and the students seem very happy there. I'd drop my pants and streak across the campus and be comfortable doing it (purely thearetical of course). And as for having a good idea, I think I read that somewhere in medical feedback and the no so short guide to medical school. This idea was more confirmed by the ease/disinterest of the interviewer. Myabe she was being nice and didn't want to grill me. At any rate, it is very difficult to gauge my performance. And IMO, the glass in half empty and the half full portion of the glass is urine so, I am thinking waitlist or rejection.

rayhan, who did you have for your interviewer? maybe it was just the style of the interviewer themself? mine was a pediatrician named dr. moran, she was very nice. easy conversational questions, although after i came back from philly i started thinking about how i could have answered a lot of her questions differently and thing i should/shouldn't have said. oh well.

so you're saying if the interview was "easy" then it sortof means you will be waitlisted huh. but then why would they spend the time and money to interview somebody if they already know they won't want them? i'm sure you have just as much(if not better) chance of being accepted as anyone else!

bubbleyum said:
rayhan, who did you have for your interviewer? maybe it was just the style of the interviewer themself? mine was a pediatrician named dr. moran, she was very nice. easy conversational questions, although after i came back from philly i started thinking about how i could have answered a lot of her questions differently and thing i should/shouldn't have said. oh well.

so you're saying if the interview was "easy" then it sortof means you will be waitlisted huh. but then why would they spend the time and money to interview somebody if they already know they won't want them? i'm sure you have just as much(if not better) chance of being accepted as anyone else!

I had Dr. Yeh. Nice lady. Thanks for the assurance maybe, I am jumping to conclusions.

My interview was very laid back and conversational. I was asked a few specific questions, like why I did poorly in physics. The interviewer mostly just went through my AMCAS and asked me random questions, but nothing hard. I didn't even think I had done too well because I accidently interrupted her once in the beginning and I think it bothered her. So if my experience is any indication, the type of interview doesn't necessarily mean anything! Good luck :luck:

did any of you guys interview with lisa cifelli? what'd you think?

For those of you with Acceptances, was it a big envelope?

Cozmosis said:
Yes it comes in a big one!

Cozmosis,

congrats on Maryland!!!!! I guess I wont be seeing you next year after all! :( Oh well, I guess there is always residency. :)

Good luck!!!

RayhanS1282 said:
Okay so I wasn't the only one with a short interview. Did you have the Siekh guy?

The cardiologist?

amk25a said:
The cardiologist?

the siekh guy is a neonatal pediatrician. he is also a standout prick.
-dr. mota

OUCH! I just got a very short email from Drexel that basically says I'm on HOLD, I may be reviewed later in the cycle, and it listed the LORs that were received.

How bad is this? How many people on HOLD get interviewed and, more importantly, get in? Anyone? I would love to hear from you. I am having another LOR sent there...will it make a difference? Should I write a letter asking them to review my file again?

Thanks, I'm very confused by this.

-D

hey guys, i interviewed at drexel on jan 21st, do you think it's too soon to call them and check on my status?

Got my drexel rejection in the mail on Saturday. Such is life.

mjc48 said:
hey guys, i interviewed at drexel on jan 21st, do you think it's too soon to call them and check on my status?
Yes. Especially cause they won't tell you anything. I heard 3 weeks post interview and that was the fastest I'd heard of anyone being notified.

Status
Not open for further replies.