Drexel Rejection part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
medstylee said:
i interviewed with the assistant director as well. she tries real hard to keep any impressions whatsoever to herself. kind of intimidating and worrisome at the same time. anyway, to make you feel better, i've spoken with a few people who have interviewed with her, including a current m1 at drexel, and they all felt worried after their interviews. the person cozmosis interviewed with is not the same person.

best of luck. don't lose hope yet.
Thanks medstylee, knowing that does make me feel a little better.

Members don't see this ad.

Cozmosis said:
Its clear it isn't backlogging. Drexel has been very, very disappointing this cycle. The fact that they aren't doing everything in their power to fix the issues would put a bad taste in anyone's mouth.

So....to add to the confusion...another reason people's applications are not being processed could be because they lost your reccomendations . I was told over the phone on 9/10 that my app. was complete. my interview was on 12/2. i called last week and they said there was "no further movement." then i got an email on 2/10 saying that they couldn't make a reccomendation until they had my reccomendations (which had been released via virtualevals in august). :mad: i called and they admissions office downloaded the recs in a couple of hours.

good luck everyone!

beponychick said:
Are you serious? This is post-interview???

yup. like i posted somewhere else, they must have REEEEEEAAAALLLYY hated me afer my interview. she was all nice to me and told me i had a good file, but i guess she turned around and went to the committee to tell them to reject me right away. they didn't even have to take their time to think about it! depressing.

but at least you all know it's not taking them a whole lot of time to make their decisions and notify one way or the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
bubbleyum said:
yup. like i posted somewhere else, they must have REEEEEEAAAALLLYY hated me afer my interview. she was all nice to me and told me i had a good file, but i guess she turned around and went to the committee to tell them to reject me right away. they didn't even have to take their time to think about it! depressing.

but at least you all know it's not taking them a whole lot of time to make their decisions and notify one way or the other.

aww sorry to hear about this. :( i was wondering if your interviewer was a doctor and/or faculty? and if she was a psychiatrist? i noticed you mentioned she was female like mine... and now i'm neurotically wondering what the chances were that i had the same interviewer. my interview was, for lack of a better word, tepid. i had also been wondering as well if she hated me because i was so flustered from a hellish ride getting there. (btw in case you're wondering who's jumpin in on the thread my user name used to be "joonie"). thanks!

I just called in to Drexel and I was told a decision has been made on the Feb 9th and a letter is being mailed out today. Unfortunately, they can't disclose the content of the letter.

I went through so many emoticons after hearing this.
(a) :eek:
(b) :scared:
(c) :confused:
(d) :thumbdown:
(e) :(
(f) :barf:

RayhanS1282 said:
I just called in to Drexel and I was told a decision has been made on the Feb 9th and a letter is being mailed out today. Unfortunately, they can't disclose the content of the letter.

Here's to a big envelope for you, Rayhan!

RayhanS1282 said:
Thanks Cozmosis.

Good luck Rayhan!!! Ill keep my fingers, and everything else crossed for you! :)

GOOD LUCK RAY!!!!!!!

please please share good news with us! :luck:

beponychick said:
Good luck Rayhan!!! Ill keep my fingers, and everything else crossed for you! :)

Thanks Pony. I think I tarnished my luck by walking under a ladder today :eek: stupid construction people and their protective scaffoldings.

crazy_cavalier said:
GOOD LUCK RAY!!!!!!!

does drexel send out batches of acceptances once a month or do they do it every wk? when did you interview there ray?

jon0013 said:
does drexel send out batches of acceptances once a month or do they do it every wk? when did you interview there ray?

Jan 21.

crazy_cavalier said:
GOOD LUCK RAY!!!!!!!

Thanks Crazy Cav. One of these days you gotta make a serious profile....I've been psyched 10 times already. And the sad part is that I still don't learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
RayhanS1282 said:

good luck, i was jan 21st too. just wondering, did you call 215-991-8202 to talk with someone?

mjc48 said:
good luck, i was jan 21st too. just wondering, did you call 215-991-8202 to talk with someone?

Yeah, that's the one.

RayhanS1282 said:
Yeah, that's the one.

Thanks, hopefully a big envelope for both of us

RayhanS1282 said:
Thanks Crazy Cav. One of these days you gotta make a serious profile....I've been psyched 10 times already. And the sad part is that I still don't learn.

eh heh heh...

so i called and they told me no decision...which i guess is better than rejection...does anyone have an idea what the average time post interview is for acceptance? there seems to be a lot of people left hanging and some people that get it really quick. is there no chance for the people that don't hear something at three weeks?

mjc48 said:
so i called and they told me no decision...which i guess is better than rejection...does anyone have an idea what the average time post interview is for acceptance? there seems to be a lot of people left hanging and some people that get it really quick. is there no chance for the people that don't hear something at three weeks?

**plop**

That was the sound of my gut screeching and falling out my ass after reading this. I am nervous now, damn you USPS...bring me some good news for a chnage.

RayhanS1282 said:
**plop**

That was the sound of my gut screeching and falling out my ass after reading this. I am nervous now, damn you USPS...bring me some good news for a chnage.

Tasty.

Yeah I'm not sure why they insist on the snail-mail. For chrissake make it electronic. By the way it seems my previous comment got buried on this thread. I just wanted to point out they updated their website www.drexelmed.edu

looks better eh?

i interviewed the 19th and am "under review". Rayhan- you better get in. here's to you son.
-mota

drmota said:
i interviewed the 19th and am "under review". Rayhan- you better get in. here's to you son.
-mota

What in the name of screen name shuffle....thanks Mota. Here's hoping you and the rest of the fine folks of this thread hear something good...and soon.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts...

I was invited to interview, but March 21 was the first available date, does this mean I will be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?

Scarlett27 said:

I was invited to interview, but March 21 was the first available date, does this mean I will be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?

I don't know that, but you can call them several times a week to see if an earlier spot has opened up. I got my interview invite back in November for March 28th, called them in January and switched to January 21st interview. I am glad I did that. It's a matter of luck, but doesn't hurt ot try.

Oh, and they don't interview regular-route MD applicants in February. This month is reserved for interviewing special programs applicants. So, you might be able to switch to an earlier date in March, but I doubt it would make a difference in the outcomes.

Scarlett27 said:

Try calling them up and rescheduling. I initially had a date for April but after a second try got it rescheduled to Jan 21. So, can't hurt to try. And since they interview a large amount of people, they conduct interviews on Saturdays as well (not every month though).

Thanks guys.

I might try rescheduling, it's just that I need to book my flight ahead of time. Maybe wait a week or two, then try to reschedule.

red dot said:
aww sorry to hear about this. :( i was wondering if your interviewer was a doctor and/or faculty? and if she was a psychiatrist? i noticed you mentioned she was female like mine... and now i'm neurotically wondering what the chances were that i had the same interviewer. my interview was, for lack of a better word, tepid. i had also been wondering as well if she hated me because i was so flustered from a hellish ride getting there. (btw in case you're wondering who's jumpin in on the thread my user name used to be "joonie"). thanks!

geez is everybody changing their names now?

well joonie my interviewer wasn't a psychiatrist, it was a relatively young professor(she used to be a pediatrician.) she was very nice and the interview was pleasantly conversational (in a relative sense, compared to other interviews ppl may have.)

i actually heard that drexel accepts a large percentage of the people they grant interviews to.(which is all the more sad for me. i SUCK rocks!) so i'm sure you will hear good news. i opened up a spot for ya..

RAYHAN IF YOU DO NOT GET IN THERE IS NO JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD.

rayhan, good luck, i wish i was opening a letter tonight too

mjc48 said:

I don't think the length of time is indicative of an acceptance or rejection - it's just a matter of how quickly your interviewers get their stuff in and when the committee reviews your file. It seems like it takes at least 6-8 weeks for most people. I started worrying at 6 weeks and got my decision at almost exactly 2 months after my interview.

styx said:
I don't think the length of time is indicative of an acceptance or rejection - it's just a matter of how quickly your interviewers get their stuff in and when the committee reviews your file. It seems like it takes at least 6-8 weeks for most people. I started worrying at 6 weeks and got my decision at almost exactly 2 months after my interview.

if you don't mind me asking, i'm guessing/hoping it was an acceptance

mjc48 said:
if you don't mind me asking, i'm guessing/hoping it was an acceptance

It was :) so don't worry, it's still early! Good luck!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: for all of us... *ho hum*

RayhanS1282 said:

Good luck Rayhan!!! It's great you're getting the letter soon and don't have to wait months and months!

And good luck to everyone else too! :luck:

lyn2006 said:
Good luck Rayhan!!! It's great you're getting the letter soon and don't have to wait months and months!

And good luck to everyone else too! :luck:

Ask them to fax it. Thats what they did for me.

I just called the admissions office and found out a decision has been made regarding my app (interviewed Jan 9th). The letters still need to be signed by the dean, however. So expect news in the next couple of days.

Cozmosis said:
Rayhan, my money is on acceptance. Those of us who heard in 3 weeks (I think) were lucky enough to be accepted!

Cozmosis,
Thanks again for the vote of confidence.

Lessthanjake,
I really don't want to bug them again since, I called just yesterday. The lady was nice enough to give me a very helpful update and at this point, I waited three weeks, so what's a few more days? And if it's bad news, I'd rather not know this early and rather stay uninformed of the decision.

the negative 1 said:
I just called the admissions office and found out a decision has been made regarding my app (interviewed Jan 9th). The letters still need to be signed by the dean, however. So expect news in the next couple of days.
Hmm. I also interviewed on Jan 9th, but I just called the office and they said my file hadn't gone to committee yet, and was probably waiting for the interviewer's report. I guess the processing is not uniform for a given day. Regardless, I hope you got in, negative 1.

i did it. i called yet again. for the 10th time i think (?) :eek: the lady was again really nice. no change. i'm supposed to hear in about 2 weeks. but she said that every time i had called. and that had been every other week. crap. i just want in! one school. one. i'm not asking for much. i don't care to hold multiple acceptances; it won't affect my ego. *muttering [explicative, explicative]* ho hum.

good luck to you, especially if your app status has been stalled! :luck:

i interviewed at drexel well OVER 3 months ago!!! they take so long i stopped caring about going to their stupid school.

Sorry to hear that some of y'all haven't heard. It's been brought up that for many of you (like you, SpeedRacer), the issue may very well be an interviewer who never turned in an evaluation. Without that the adcom can't evaluate your application and make a decision. So if you call and find out that's the case, you can try contacting the interviewer and asking them to help you out by sending that evaluation in. Also, if you're supposed to hear soon, be advised that the mail system sometimes takes forever. I guess in lots of places institutional mail has to go through central processing and all that; for some reason at Drexel this can take way too long. I work in a Drexel clinic, and we actually buy our own stamps and put our letters in the mailbox ourselves because otherwise they would take like 2 weeks to get to patients.

Good luck, and I hope y'all here (positively) soon!

i interviewed the 24th and called yesterday...lady said my file had just gone into review....so i dunno...hopefully the turnaround is fast,,

tigress said:
Also, if you're supposed to hear soon, be advised that the mail system sometimes takes forever. I guess in lots of places institutional mail has to go through central processing and all that; for some reason at Drexel this can take way too long. I work in a Drexel clinic, and we actually buy our own stamps and put our letters in the mailbox ourselves because otherwise they would take like 2 weeks to get to patients.

Good luck, and I hope y'all here (positively) soon!

Oh that does it, I am driving to PA and picking that letter up myself.

RayhanS1282 said:
Oh that does it, I am driving to PA and picking that letter up myself.

Where do you live? It may not take that long. I just wanted to warn you in case it does, so you don't get worried. But maybe they will fax it to you if you don't get it in another week. :luck:

tigress said:
Where do you live? It may not take that long. I just wanted to warn you in case it does, so you don't get worried. But maybe they will fax it to you if you don't get it in another week. :luck:

I live in NY so, it's a good 3 hour drive provided the GPS system doesn't get us lost like interview day. They told me that they should be putting it in the out-going mail on Monday but past experience says that I am not seeing anything from there at least till end of February.

A little update, got the thin rejection letter from Drexel yet. Looks like I crapped out this year's cycle as well. Oh well, it was nice to imagine while it lasted. The only consolation is that it was fast. That might also mean, that I sucked that much more. If Cozmosis holds the current record for the fastest accpetance, I am happy to accept the record for the fastest rejection, 'cause my decision was made in less than 3 weeks.

This application cycle is basically over for me at this point. I have wasted too much time and money trying to apply to U.S. schools anyways.

I wish the rest of you fine folks the luck I didn't have.

RayhanS1282 said:
A little update, got the thin rejection letter from Drexel yet. Looks like I crapped out this year's cycle as well. Oh well, it was nice to imagine while it lasted. The only consolation is that it was fast. That might also mean, that I sucked that much more. If Cozmosis holds the current record for the fastest accpetance, I am happy to accept the record for the fastest rejection, 'cause my decision was made in less than 3 weeks.

This application cycle is basically over for me at this point. I have wasted too much time and money trying to apply to U.S. schools anyways.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH, RAYHAN I AM SO FRUSTRATED FOR YOU!!
what is up with drexel. i got rejected in 3 weeks-time as well. seems like they accepted all these people who are not even going to go to their school, wait till may comes around.

hate drexel adcom right this moment...

RayhanS1282 said:

Oh my god. Im so sorry Rayhan. But I dont think you should give up on US schools. Seriously, there are things you can do to improve your application. Maybe do a masters? Your MCAT seems fine, so I dont think that is the issue. Email the schools and see what you can do to improve your ap. Argh, so sorry. This totally made my day suck too! :( :( :(

RayhanS1282 said:

Sorry to hear that Rayhan. When I saw you had updated on the drexel thread I was hoping to see good news...

Status
Not open for further replies.