• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Drexel

letsrun4it

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
91
0
    2 questions:

    Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the Drexel Post bacc? 3.0 gpa BA regular public college (with some CC) is this even in the ballpark?


    AND are they any 1 year post bacc programs out there other than the very tough ones to get into?
     

    UnskinnyBop

    CC Deville Wannabe
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
      I'm in Drexel's post-bacc (the straight post-bacc for people with no prerequisties, NOT the IMS or MSP programs, which are different animals.) I got in with a less than 3.0 GPA. However, my situation was totally bizarre- basically, there was a huge cheating scandal in my major department and I was one of two students who were innocent- which is why my grades were so low! The program director took the time to call me and let me explain my unique situation, and I was accepted. So, I think it's do-able. Also, they are looking at applications for next year now, so my advice to you is to apply ASAP. It's a great program- I'm really, really happy there- and they have three linkage programs. Let me know if you'd like more information. ;)
       
      About the Ads

      morganlefay

      hanging in there
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Aug 18, 2004
      394
      0
      miami, FL
      1. Medical Student
        I am interested in hearing more about the Drexel IMS/MSP programs. Has anyone done these and are willing to share experiences, and what is needed grade/score wise to get in, as well as benefits/downsides to the program?
         

        mrm1682

        Full Member
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Aug 2, 2004
        114
        0
        NJ
          i'm in IMS right now. it's great to be able to learn all the stuff before med school and i'll definitely say that schools like to see it. i went from no interviews last year to 2 already this year and i applied later than last year. BUT, and this is a very big but, don't think that this is a guarantee to med school. you will have to work your tail off all year long. if you do crappy here then you're done. med schools see that you can't handle the med school curriculum and won't usually take another look at you. TONS of pressure on you to do well....that's my 2 cents about this. i'm tired and maybe i'll elaborate more later or pm me any questions.
           

          pem8erly

          Member
          10+ Year Member
          Jun 8, 2004
          154
          0
          1. Attending Physician
            if you get a B average you're guaranteed an interview at Drexel Med in February. They will tell you that all you have to do is match the medical school's mean grade in the same classes to get a B, but be forewarned that it is not as easy as it sounds.
             

            snapdad

            Rock and Roll Doctor
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 31, 2003
            607
            0
            1. Non-Student
              pem8erly said:
              if you get a B average you're guaranteed an interview at Drexel Med in February. They will tell you that all you have to do is match the medical school's mean grade in the same classes to get a B, but be forewarned that it is not as easy as it sounds.

              I'm one of the MS1s at Drexel right now and have a ton of respect for IMS. These guys are literally taking the *exact same classes* we are, and with the added pressure of having to beat the med students' mean AND go through the med school application/interview process. The upside to this is that if you do well in the IMS program, you've proven yourself and it seems like you'd stand a great shot at getting into a competitive program. You'd also have a leg up on the first year curriculum, as MS1s who used to be IMSers are now killing the rest of us on exams. :)
               

              pem8erly

              Member
              10+ Year Member
              Jun 8, 2004
              154
              0
              1. Attending Physician
                well. Not exactly the same classes. We do not take gross anatomy or genetics. Which you would think would give us plenty of time to study and beat the MS1 mean all the time... But it does feel good when we match or beat the MS1 class mean.
                 

                snapdad

                Rock and Roll Doctor
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Oct 31, 2003
                607
                0
                1. Non-Student
                  pem8erly said:
                  well. Not exactly the same classes. We do not take gross anatomy or genetics. Which you would think would give us plenty of time to study and beat the MS1 mean all the time... But it does feel good when we match or beat the MS1 class mean.

                  True -- I should have clarified. I meant that the classes that we share have the exact same lectures, i.e., the IMS students watch the MS1 classes via a live video link, so those lectures literally are the exact same lectures, word for word. We don't share all the same classes though.
                   
                  About the Ads

                  morganlefay

                  hanging in there
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Aug 18, 2004
                  394
                  0
                  miami, FL
                  1. Medical Student
                    Thanks for the replies, all. If I don't get in this time, Drexel was one of the programs I was considering, but I don't want to put myself in a rediculously difficult program where I'm screwed if I don't do stellar. What are the differences b/w IMS and MSP??
                     

                    morganlefay

                    hanging in there
                    10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Aug 18, 2004
                    394
                    0
                    miami, FL
                    1. Medical Student
                      OK, that makes sense. I would end up in the IMS one, then. Hmm, I think I might call Drexel about it early next year (jan. or feb.) if things aren't looking good on the acceptance front. I just want a year's long 'supplement' to my coursework while I restudy for the MCAT,etc, and have something on my transcript so I'll look good as a reapplicant, if it comes to that.
                       

                      Phil Anthropist

                      SDN Moderator
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Mar 14, 2004
                      5,131
                      4
                        mrm1682 said:
                        msp is supposed to prep you if you don't have the basic sciences already (or if you did really really poor in them). ims is basically med school but minus a couple of classes.
                        According to the website http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/ you have to finish the prereqs to be eligible to apply for either program.

                        This is the impression I have:

                        • if you were waitlisted for borderline statistics or your academic record (i.e. gpa) was a problem but your MCAT was fine, do the IMS to prove you can handle a full-time, graduate-level curriculum that even includes medical school classes (and essentially requires you to outperform the med students). According to the website, the program is intended for those who already have competitive MCAT scores
                        • if your gpa is fine (or only needs a little work) but your MCAT needs improvement, do the MSP program to prep for the MCAT while taking challenging graduate (but not medical school) classes. The program is not intended for (and as I understand it, doesn't accept) students who have not completed the preqs. Also, successful completion of the program qualifies the student for entry into the IMS program. After retaking the MCAT (the MSP students are required to do this in April) and performing well in the MSP, the student can then do the IMS program while applying for medical schools and earn the Master of Biological Sciences (MBS) degree
                        Here's the problem...Even if a person gets accepted into the Drexel IMS and performs well. Let's say he/she retakes the MCAT. Chances are that after finishing the IMS program, the biology part of the biological sciences section will be much easier. However, if the student struggled in organic or either of the physical sciences, that might still make the MCAT an uphill battle (and studying for the MCAT while taking medical school courses, e.g. IMS program, could be incredibly difficult). This is why I have the understanding that the IMS program seeks students who've scored 27+ or higher. But I could be wrong.
                         

                        pem8erly

                        Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        Jun 8, 2004
                        154
                        0
                        1. Attending Physician
                          For IMS they discourage taking the MCAT in April because there is simply no time to prepare during the school year. Currently we have quizzes every week as well as major exams right before winter break. Classes do not end until early June and from what I have seen the testing schedule is not much better in the second semester.
                           

                          mrm1682

                          Full Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          Aug 2, 2004
                          114
                          0
                          NJ
                            i would agree with the above posters. there is no way that you could study for the MCAT while in IMS and do well in BOTH areas....one or the other would take a huge hit. IMS is tougher than med school i think because we can't just settle for a decent score. we have to consistently work our tails off to out-perform the med school. PLUS most students are applying to med school at the same time so you're doing secondary apps, interviewing, etc while still taking all of these lovely classes. BUT...if you do well in IMS then your chances of being rejected from med school is very slim.
                             

                            morganlefay

                            hanging in there
                            10+ Year Member
                            7+ Year Member
                            Aug 18, 2004
                            394
                            0
                            miami, FL
                            1. Medical Student
                              You all are awesome. I really appreciate all the advice/opinions. I think I'll look more into the MSP due to the MCAT being my problem....but I didn't know the difference b/w the programs. Thanks, Phil. ;)
                               

                              tiredofwaiting

                              Junior Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Feb 8, 2004
                              24
                              0
                                letsrun4it said:
                                2 questions:

                                Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the Drexel Post bacc? 3.0 gpa BA regular public college (with some CC) is this even in the ballpark?


                                AND are they any 1 year post bacc programs out there other than the very tough ones to get into?

                                Forget Drexel! These programs are all money makers. Literally, a way for the medical schools to line their pockets without actually accepting you to medical school. Besides, you are entitled to NOTHING provided you successfully complete the program. The program is expensive. I was accepted to the program at Drexel and rejected it. These programs were established back in the 70's and 80's when medical schools saw steep declines in applications and, in turn, used students from the post-bacc programs to feed the MD programs.

                                I am currently pursuing my MD at St. George's University. I'm not getting any younger and I have no intention of wasting time.
                                 

                                Phil Anthropist

                                SDN Moderator
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Mar 14, 2004
                                5,131
                                4
                                  tiredofwaiting said:
                                  Forget Drexel! These programs are all money makers. Literally, a way for the medical schools to line their pockets without actually accepting you to medical school.
                                  I will have to respectfully disagree with you. The majority of the enrichment-oriented postbac SDNers are those who choose to enrich their undergraduate shortcomings--MCAT/DAT, gpa, ECs, etc.

                                  Programs like G-town and Boston U boast acceptance rates of 60-65% during the program and 85-90% eventually. Many of these are US allo acceptances. If you do well and have a complete package, chances are you'll get in to a US medical school somewhere. Furthermore, those who perform among the top in the G-town SMP and Boston programs often gain acceptance into the medical schools there even if there's no formal guarantee.

                                  Postbac programs take advantage of the fact that some unsuccessful applicants are desperate to get into med school, but how is that different from the modus operandi of a school like SGU or Ross? You give Ross/SGU/AUC what they want (money) and they give you what you want (the opportunity to be an excellent physician). Postbac enrichment programs and SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba exist for the same reason, to give an opportunity to unsuccessful US allopathic/osteopathic applicants so that they can realize their dreams. If you reason that postbac programs are just money makers, you could say the same thing about SGU.

                                  FYI: The rumor is that both Ross and SGU have been approached by the AAMC for accreditation. If I remember correctly, Ross would have to relocate (to the US) AND reduce its class size. Ross didn't think twice; the answer was an emphatic no. I can't verify this rumor, but economically it makes sense. SGU and Ross have huge student bodies. More student bodies = more money.
                                  tiredofwaiting said:
                                  you are entitled to NOTHING provided you successfully complete the program.
                                  Some postbacs have linkages with guaranteed acceptances (rare). Other programs say, "There is no guarantee!" However, they still take a significant number of their postbac students into their med school. Other programs (e.g. Drexel IMS, Loyola MAMS) guarantee you an interview with a good performance: http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/faqs.asp Anyone that does a program like the Drexel IMS should realize that a guaranteed interview is NOT EQUAL to an acceptance, but there is a good possibility of acceptance into Drexel after completing the IMS (with a kick butt performance) and many are willing to take that risk.

                                  Some people argue, "Postbac programs don't have guarantees and those programs are very difficult, just go to the Caribbean." This is circular logic. If a person doesn't have what it takes to perform well in a rigorous postbac to begin with, what are the chances that the person is gonna have what it takes to succeed in the Caribbean? Admission is easier to obtain, but the coursework and USMLEs will still require a great deal of effort.

                                  tiredofwaiting said:
                                  I am currently pursuing my MD at St. George's University. I'm not getting any younger and I have no intention of wasting time.
                                  If a person just wants to get on with his/her life for whatever reason (AND IS READY FOR MED SCHOOL), the Caribbean is a reasonable route. Many postbacs don't consider it and ultimately end up there anyway when it would have allowed them to accomplish their goals sooner.

                                  SGU, Ross, and AUC are good choices for some (including my best friend). But going that route is not without its risks and complications. There are several examples such as a disadvantage in the match, hurricanes, and living conditions.

                                  For whatever reason, many of us do not wish to go offshore (at least not if we can avoid it). And for that reason it is unfair for you to say that going for a postbac like Drexel is "wasting time." Our wishes, and yours, should be respected.

                                  Good luck at SGU,

                                  Phil
                                   

                                  tiredofwaiting

                                  Junior Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Feb 8, 2004
                                  24
                                  0
                                    Phil Anthropist said:
                                    I will have to respectfully disagree with you. The majority of the enrichment-oriented postbac SDNers are those who choose to enrich their undergraduate shortcomings--MCAT/DAT, gpa, ECs, etc.

                                    Programs like G-town and Boston U boast acceptance rates of 60-65% during the program and 85-90% eventually. Many of these are US allo acceptances. If you do well and have a complete package, chances are you'll get in to a US medical school somewhere. Furthermore, those who perform among the top in the G-town SMP and Boston programs often gain acceptance into the medical schools there even if there's no formal guarantee.

                                    Postbac programs take advantage of the fact that some unsuccessful applicants are desperate to get into med school, but how is that different from the modus operandi of a school like SGU or Ross? You give Ross/SGU/AUC what they want (money) and they give you what you want (the opportunity to be an excellent physician). Postbac enrichment programs and SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba exist for the same reason, to give an opportunity to unsuccessful US allopathic/osteopathic applicants so that they can realize their dreams. If you reason that postbac programs are just money makers, you could say the same thing about SGU.

                                    FYI: The rumor is that both Ross and SGU have been approached by the AAMC for accreditation. If I remember correctly, Ross would have to relocate (to the US) AND reduce its class size. Ross didn't think twice; the answer was an emphatic no. I can't verify this rumor, but economically it makes sense. SGU and Ross have huge student bodies. More student bodies = more money.

                                    Some postbacs have linkages with guaranteed acceptances (rare). Other programs say, "There is no guarantee!" However, they still take a significant number of their postbac students into their med school. Other programs (e.g. Drexel IMS, Loyola MAMS) guarantee you an interview with a good performance: http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/faqs.asp Anyone that does a program like the Drexel IMS should realize that a guaranteed interview is NOT EQUAL to an acceptance, but there is a good possibility of acceptance into Drexel after completing the IMS (with a kick butt performance) and many are willing to take that risk.

                                    Some people argue, "Postbac programs don't have guarantees and those programs are very difficult, just go to the Caribbean." This is circular logic. If a person doesn't have what it takes to perform well in a rigorous postbac to begin with, what are the chances that the person is gonna have what it takes to succeed in the Caribbean? Admission is easier to obtain, but the coursework and USMLEs will still require a great deal of effort.

                                    If a person just wants to get on with his/her life for whatever reason (AND IS READY FOR MED SCHOOL), the Caribbean is a reasonable route. Many postbacs don't consider it and ultimately end up there anyway when it would have allowed them to accomplish their goals sooner.

                                    SGU, Ross, and AUC are good choices for some (including my best friend). But going that route is not without its risks and complications. There are several examples such as a disadvantage in the match, hurricanes, and living conditions.

                                    For whatever reason, many of us do not wish to go offshore (at least not if we can avoid it). And for that reason it is unfair for you to say that going for a postbac like Drexel is "wasting time." Our wishes, and yours, should be respected.

                                    Good luck at SGU,

                                    Phil

                                    Phil, my goal was not to sit here and be critical of the decisions others make or otherwise influence them. I simply stated my opinion, and whether or not you agree with me is your opinion. I, on the other hand was presenting my experience and the route that I ultimately decided to take. Simply stated, there is no reason why people must otherwise be “middle of the road” when describing their own situation.

                                    Mutual respect, right? :)
                                     

                                    Phil Anthropist

                                    SDN Moderator
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Mar 14, 2004
                                    5,131
                                    4
                                      tiredofwaiting said:
                                      Phil, my goal was not to sit here and be critical of the decisions others make or otherwise influence them. I simply stated my opinion, and whether or not you agree with me is your opinion. I, on the other hand was presenting my experience and the route that I ultimately decided to take. Simply stated, there is no reason why people must otherwise be “middle of the road” when describing their own situation.

                                      Mutual respect, right? :)
                                      It's cool. People have a right to see both sides of the coin and you have every right to present your experience. My best friend at SGU has a classmate that did the Drexel IMS (I don't know how well he did in the program) and called it "the worst experience of [his] life." I don't know why he thought that, but it was clear he didn't enjoy the experience. However, the Drexel IMS has been a very effective and enjoyable experience for others.

                                      My best friend was accepted to the BU Medical Sciences and Georgetown SMP. He chose to skip those programs and go straight to SGU. In his case, SGU will get him where he wants to go, faster. His gpa wasn't so great, but his MCAT was fine. He finished strong (including a 4.0 his last semester at a top tier university), but the damage had been done. He had two choices. He could do a special masters and reapply during a glide year (2 years after graduating to get into a US med school) or he could go straight to SGU. He chose the latter because in two years, he could be doing clinicals as an MS-3 in New York / New Jersey as opposed to starting as an MS-1 at a US school. He swallowed his pride and decided to go to SGU. Also, he's interested in primary care, so SGU will have no problem getting him where he wants to go.

                                      I'm simply pointing out that:

                                      (1) Drexel's postbac programs (and many other special masters-type programs) DO have guarantees and distinguished track records
                                      (2) for many, a postbac is not a waste of time if it allows them to reach their goal

                                      But SGU is a good school--don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It simply isn't the path that I (and many on this board) would take if I can avoid it.
                                       

                                      pem8erly

                                      Member
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      Jun 8, 2004
                                      154
                                      0
                                      1. Attending Physician
                                        I wouldn't exactly qualify IMS as an enjoyable experience. In fact, my advice for anyone considering this program is to weigh your options carefully before applying. Yes the program has a good track record of getting students into schools but mainly to osteopathic schools. Nothing against osteopathic schools as I'm planning on attending one myself but many of my classmates did not know this information prior to attending. Also... do not count on feeding into Drexel Med. Last year they cut the class size and IMS students took a hit. Word is that another cut is planned as they are overflowing. Lastly, the administration needs help. They are understandably busy but seems to expect extreme sympathy from the students when it is their job to help us get into schools.
                                         
                                        C

                                        CaptainZero

                                          pem8erly said:
                                          I wouldn't exactly qualify IMS as an enjoyable experience. .
                                          Yea...on the "enjoyable" scale, IMS is up there with root canals...and the comment on the administration of the program was dead on...I posted a bunch of times on my experience in IMS, but those posts appear to be gone...but feel free to PM me w/?'s - I need another reason to procrastinate.
                                           

                                          stealthbomber

                                          Junior Member
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          Jan 4, 2005
                                          7
                                          0
                                          Philadelphia
                                            CaptainZero said:
                                            Yea...on the "enjoyable" scale, IMS is up there with root canals...and the comment on the administration of the program was dead on...I posted a bunch of times on my experience in IMS, but those posts appear to be gone...but feel free to PM me w/?'s - I need another reason to procrastinate.

                                            You all may want to read the "Drexel IMS/MMS" thread. Everyone's situation is different, but it is a pretty valid description of the program.
                                             

                                            WISC-ite

                                            Senior Member
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            15+ Year Member
                                            Dec 27, 2001
                                            231
                                            0
                                            Left Coast
                                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                                              Well, I am a MSP (then IMS) alum so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask. The program helped me a ton and my MCAT score went up a lot. I am so happy in med school and I feel very lucky that everything came together for me.

                                              Cheers,
                                              WISC-ite
                                               
                                              About the Ads
                                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

                                              Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                              1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                              7. This thread is locked.